Wrangler now Hybrid Only in Europe

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
This is absolutely inevitable... next up I think we'll see a fully electric Wrangler & Gladiator, though I've been wondering lately if it will happen on the JL, or if they'll wait for the next revision of the Wrangler, due, I expect, somewhere around 2027-2030.

Maybe those vehicles will be designed from the ground up as electric only, which is also inevitable.

-Dan

billiebob

Heres Meritors answer to conversion of busses, commercial trucks.
Electric motors bolted directly to the differential.
3 cables, no drive line.
Just add batteries or hydrogen tanks,

Thomas Busses are already using it in new production.
120721-Meritor-electrification-1200x675.jpg

Look at the weight savings once you get rid of the Transmission, engine, rad.... not to mention the freedom to design something quite different once you eliminate the ICE and all its supporting systems.

I think hybrids are a waste, building BOTH power supply ststems but as a transition while they develop the electric systems they make sense.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Now if they could only figure out how to create clean emission free electricity on demand in large quantities.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Now if they could only figure out how to create clean emission free electricity on demand in large quantities.

Indeed, many countries are already 100% renewable electricity (Ecuador, Iceland, many more) and basically all the big countries are rapidly getting there.

-Dan

billiebob

Think the Columbia River..... cool especially since it involves the 60 year old International Columbia River Treaty to irrigate farmland, control flooding and generate electricity.

Columbia_dams_map.png

billiebob

Maybe those vehicles will be designed from the ground up as electric only, which is also inevitable.
THIS ^^^^

We live with evolution, thing gradually evolve improving life and efficiency. Then, every few decades we go thru a revolutionary period when a new technology or crisis changes how we live. Dark ages. Industrial revolution. Medicine. Planes, WWII and escalated the building of massive air strips around the world and suddenly wow did life change. The automobile itself has moulded and changed North America. From horse and buggy to interstate travel. Muscle cars and land yachts to Pintos and minivans to EFI, twin turbos, 10 speed automatics.

VW says they are quitting funding R&D on the ICE..... they figure this is as good as it gets. All their R&D is going into NON ICE R&D.... They are the first to say it but everyone is doing the same thing. Just like horses 100 years ago, the ICE is out to pasture.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Think the Columbia River..... cool especially since it involves the 60 year old International Columbia River Treaty to irrigate farmland, control flooding and generate electricity.

View attachment 709092
I am extremely familiar with the Columbia and snake river dams. The problem is that we are already at capacity and there aren't enough rivers with the potential to generate enough power.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Mini nukes nationwide that could electrify 3-4 states each. I don't see any other way to power our electrical grid needs for the future emissions- free.. France is building more. Germany shut theirs down only to buy fossil fueled electricity elsewhere.
If the scientists can ever harness the unlimited energy of fusion reaction that'll do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12