WTB 80 series

77cruiser77

Observer
check out the classifieds on ih8mud.com regularly. every now and again I see one with a 6bt swapped in for sale done by proffits

fullybalanced

Too many plans, not enough time
I serisouly doubt you'll find a Profitts built crusier for 10k (especially with a diesel swap), but IH8mud is an excellent site to troll for one from a member. You should be able to get a really nice one for 10k.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
Do you plan to dd the 80?
I have a 100, but love the looks and solid axles/cheaper parts of the 80. I am just trying to figure out if an 80 would be decent dd. I know gas sucks in these things but a couple repairs in something less reliable blows ur fuel savings for the year out of the water.

How many of you guys dd an 80?

Thanks

Taco162

I have a 1992 in Ohio.

I have a 1992 FJ80 in Ohio. It spent all but the last 3 years in Arizona and originally purchased in Texas. Rust is not an issue. It has 154,000 miles and runs great. I have service records for it and am the 3rd owner since new. Price is firm at $4700.00 PM me for further information if interested. Thanks, Rick

LandRoverHyter

Adventurer
Do you plan to dd the 80?
I have a 100, but love the looks and solid axles/cheaper parts of the 80. I am just trying to figure out if an 80 would be decent dd. I know gas sucks in these things but a couple repairs in something less reliable blows ur fuel savings for the year out of the water.

How many of you guys dd an 80?

Thanks
The 80 I end up with will be my wife's DD/ camping and exploring rig for the next couple years after that it's all mine. Hoping to find one with a few mods already done as ive found it's much cheaper to find a truck with a few mods that have been done correctly Vs. Buying and doing the mods myself. As for mpg I'm not too concerned as there's not a huge savings with a truck that will get 3 or 4 more miles per gallon anyway.

Rubiclone

Observer
check the local craigslist. Thats where i got both of mine. and if i were you go with the fzj80 because you get the better motor and the diff locks. And you will easily be able to find them for 10,000, i got mine for 3,500 rust free never was offroad, everything worked, and my other one was 5,500 and all it had was a little ding in the fender.

good luck! 80 series is the way to go!

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
My '97 is a daily driver. Gas sucks, but having a safe, dependable rig in Alaska is essential.

Last edited:

LandRoverHyter

Adventurer
Take your time, good deals pop up from time to time just be ready to pounce.
Thanks Phil...i will be taking my time and waiting for the right truck. There are currently some really nice trucks forsale on EP and MUD but i would have a really hard time paying 12 15 18 thousand dollars for a 15 year old truck with 150k miles!:Wow1:

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
You should be able to get a real nice fzj80 for under 10k. Don't forget to search for lx450s as well. There's a nice, one owner, locked lx on the DC craigslist right now. You may not get a modded one, but I would rather begin with a mall cruiser anyway. It seems like the price of nice 80s has creeped back up since the last gas scare. I wouldn't even consider FJ80s.

LandRoverHyter

Adventurer
So it looks like i might have found the one. Its a 94 with 209,000 miles, OME lift, 33 M/T tires, ARB up front with a warn 8k winch with synthetic line, Slee rear bumper, slee sliders, man a fre dual batt system. rear aussie locker, DVD nav. rear camra head unit and a few other do dads...i havent see the truck in person yet but the seller seems to be very honest and up front about the truck. the only issue it has is the "over heating EFI relay problem" he did one of the fixes via MUD rerouting the relay in the cab. said that helps but out of the 40 times hes had the truck out its happend twice. Is this a deal breaker? i am planning on going to go check the truck out as soon as work slows down. next week i hope. WHATS IT WORTH?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger