WTB Four Wheel Camper pop up or similar

rystjohn

Observer
Howdy everyone!

My girlfriend and I are slowly taking the necessary steps to become vagabonds and travel the country, doing freelance photography, illustration, writing, hospitality gigs and manual labor while we're young and without kids. Right now we are selling off a ton of junk and are looking to purchase a pop top camper for our 2000 F150 4x4 Lariat with a 6.5' bed.

We need a pop up that is light weight, hence the desire for a Four Wheel Camper brand (hawk or hawk shell model) but anything under 1700 wet weight would work. I think.....

Anyhow - we don't need anything fancy, our biggest obstacle is our budget. We're looking to spend between $4,000 and $8,000 with a little wiggle room. We will also travel a decent way as long as it's worth it.

We are located in Asheville, NC 28801 and I don't see why we wouldn't travel 400-500 miles to get a great camper. Definitely further for the right price or perfect setup.

Please PM me or respond to this post if you think you can help!

Thanks!
Yeager

rystjohn

Observer
Thanks Bailey! I've got my eyes peeled over there and have an identical post on their used section. Hopefully we can find something soonish.

jeff power

Theres quite a few popups in the North Carolina Craigslists and theres a nice 2004 Sunlite short bed popup on Atlanta cl for $3100 Looks clean.
Also just another option for you, right now Im working with a WTW member to buy a Granby out of Connecticut and have it shipped here to central Florida, shipping is surprisingly cheap along the east coast I guess its a major thoroughfare for the shippers and theyre always looking to fill in partially empty trailers. Just a thought.

Last edited:

rystjohn

Observer
Thanks Jeff! My biggest concern and reason for wanting a FWC is because of the weight....my GVWR is only 6500 and I'm pretty sure that I only have about 1700 max to play with....but I've been looking in the area for any brand of pop up that is light weight. Where is the sunlite camper you found in ATL? Could you share the link - I don't see it.

rystjohn

Observer
Ah, never mind I finally hunted it down. Looks like that might just work for me. What's the opinion on the Sun-lites?

jeff power

Heres the other one I was thinking of for you.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/8725-four-wheel-pop-up-camper-for-sale/

and his CL ad
http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/rvs/4430839461.html

Unless you get incredibly lucky whatever you find on the east coast may fall just short of all your requirements.

About the Sunlite, the cabinets in those are all MDF. If you were to strip the cabinets and rebuild with lightweight 1/2" plywood, you could save yourself a couple hundred lbs. in weight.

Last edited:
WTB popup camper

I went thru a similar search here in NC. I bought a Hallmark UTE fully self contained popup. Its too big for your truck. I had it on a2011 F250 4x4 diesel. I have since decided to sell both truck and popup and downsize to a teardrop. For full time living the UTE is a good choice since it has everything you need for comfortable living but IMO needs to be mounted to a 3/4 ton truck. For full timing I would recommend a full size bed -8 foot - camper. It gets pretty cozy in a short bed camper. I agree with other posts that you are pushing the limits of your truck with even a well equipped FWC and your gear. If you decide to get a bigger truck my UTE is a 2001 not perfect but in good shape for its age and its here in NC for $3500. I also agree that the Sunlight seemed to me to be more solid than a Palomino. Good luck with your search. I lived in a van for a year while roaming the US in 1975. I had a blast and book full of great times.

Happy Trails

rystjohn

Observer
Hmmm....I don't really want to get rid of the truck we have. But I don't want that to screw us over on our camper choices. The good news I guess is if we go FWC is that they hold their resale values....

Jeff Power - I actually have contacted that guy selling the FWC in Baton Rouge twice now via CL and WTW and have heard no reply. If he will contact me back I'd buy it. As long as it will fit the truck....

Highlandercj - you have any more info?

shear

My wife and I live in Chattanooga and have been going through similar struggles finding a FWC. We travel for 3 months every summer and have finally decided on a Fleet that's in Jackson, WY. We are just starting our trip from here, going there and purchasing it...then hanging around WY for a few weeks, climbing, then moving on. Have you thought about doing something similar? If you're heading west anyway...it might help to start your trip going somewhere where FWC's are more abundant and purchasing one. The shell model is the way to go! Super light weight and you can customize it!

GOod luck!

Dustman

See my just listed FW Hawk shell for sale. A little above your stated budget but a great deal on a brand new never used camper and not too far from NC.

rystjohn

Observer
See my just listed FW Hawk shell for sale. A little above your stated budget but a great deal on a brand new never used camper and not too far from NC.
Appreciate it, but this thread was from 3 years ago. We found a camper and traveled/lived in it for the past two years.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78