WTB: Truck camper for short bed f150

Reno_Nate

Hi Looking for a used camper for a short (5'7") bed F150 that is light weight and well insulated (pretty much mostly going to use it in winter). Would like it to have a heater but fine if it's basic/shell otherwise. Max budget 20k. Located in Nevada but willing to travel.
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Nevada, County Seat of Vernon County, Mo.

1671908620010.png

I bet you meant that State up by Vegas.

You could probably buy a new topper with $20K!

Beatle

Hi Looking for a used camper for a short (5'7") bed F150 that is light weight and well insulated (pretty much mostly going to use it in winter). Would like it to have a heater but fine if it's basic/shell otherwise. Max budget 20k. Located in Nevada but willing to travel.
Thanks!

Beatle

I have an AT Summit for sale on this site.—under my handle BEATLE. Or search for AT Summit 2021—The size is for a fell sized SHORT-Bed 5’7” Bed—

Attachments

• 55D40D59-6210-4130-BD33-D1FF2D6B559C.jpeg
    55D40D59-6210-4130-BD33-D1FF2D6B559C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 50

stevo_pct

I have a short bed F150. There is not much that will work for you unless you want to be over your payload, GVWR and axle ratings. You'll have to get something like an AT Summit or Go Fast Camper. The usual truck bed campers (like FWC and Hallmark) will be over your payload and more importantly the center of gravity will be right over the rear axle or maybe even behind, which is not good.

Reno_Nate

Payload is about 1700. Like the idea of a full slide in camper for the insulation but dont need much more than insulation, furnace, and lighting. If I could afford new I would get a raven shell, which is about 1000lbs. Plenty of payload left over.

stevo_pct

I was going to write back and say that a shell would probably work for you. I did a ton of research on this and ended up getting a trailer because anything other than a shell or something like an AT Summit or Go Fast Camper would put me over the payload limit and the rear axle limit. Payload on mine is 1650 pounds.

Even with a 1000 pound shell it adds up pretty quickly once you include yourself, girlfriend/wife, dog, mountain bikes, camping gear, water food.

Reno_Nate

I was going to write back and say that a shell would probably work for you. I did a ton of research on this and ended up getting a trailer because anything other than a shell or something like an AT Summit or Go Fast Camper would put me over the payload limit and the rear axle limit. Payload on mine is 1650 pounds.

Even with a 1000 pound shell it adds up pretty quickly once you include yourself, girlfriend/wife, dog, mountain bikes, camping gear, water food.
Are they that warm though? The beds not insulated so can't imagine how well that would work. The main point is to have a warm place to sleep. Pretty much will mostly use it in ski season

stevo_pct

Are they that warm though? The beds not insulated so can't imagine how well that would work. The main point is to have a warm place to sleep. Pretty much will mostly use it in ski season

No I don't think they are warm. I think you'll have a hard time finding what you're looking for with a short bed F150 unless you're OK being overweight (by short bed, I mean the 5.5' bed, not the 6.5' bed). And not just overweight, you'll also be over (or very close to) your rear axle rating. In my case, I gave up and got a trailer. I would have rather had a truck camper, but I was not OK with being overloaded. If you're OK with being overloaded, a Four Wheel Camper would work. Maybe you can get a FWC shell and add a heater.

Much warmer would be something like a Hallmark Camper. These are great but they're probably more than you want to spend (unless you find something 10+ years old - they're $40K new) and you'll certainly be overweight.

The best approach might be to go with something that doesn't have great insulation, but get a good heater installed plus an electric blanket.

Last edited:

Reno_Nate

Can you explain the rear axle rating? MY GAWR is 3800 in the rear, so can't imagine a 1000lb camper is that big of a deal. A not sure why a 5.5 box makes a difference if you get a shorter camper (aka not sticking way off the end of the bed), the 6.5 box doesnt have more payload. In fact the few 6.5 boxes I looked at had less payload since there is more truck overall.
1000lb camper, wife and I and dog (300lbs), 150lbs water, 100lbs gear, 50lbs food and we are just under payload.
I have a hard time with the idea that a camper meant for a midsize truck is gonna cause issues with a half ton....Sure if you get a 40K hallmark with all the bells and whistles sure. But I'm talking about something more basic.

OVRLNDFX4

There is also the Project M camper from FWC which weighs in at only 400ish lbs. Pops up like the rest but is a topper vs a slide in. Maybe look into that? I did on mine and love it. Gives me room to work with.

stevo_pct

Can you explain the rear axle rating? MY GAWR is 3800 in the rear, so can't imagine a 1000lb camper is that big of a deal. A not sure why a 5.5 box makes a difference if you get a shorter camper (aka not sticking way off the end of the bed), the 6.5 box doesnt have more payload. In fact the few 6.5 boxes I looked at had less payload since there is more truck overall.
1000lb camper, wife and I and dog (300lbs), 150lbs water, 100lbs gear, 50lbs food and we are just under payload.
I have a hard time with the idea that a camper meant for a midsize truck is gonna cause issues with a half ton....Sure if you get a 40K hallmark with all the bells and whistles sure. But I'm talking about something more basic.

I see what you're saying. If you get a camper that is made for a 5.5' box (none of it is hanging off the back) then you'd be OK if it's really only 1000 pounds for the camper.

I have the same GAWR as you for my truck (3800#). That's the maximum weight, including the truck itself plus all passengers and gear that the rear axle is designed for (I'm sure it's designed with a factor of safety, but per the specs, that's the max weight that should be over the rear axle).

The truck itself weighs about 5500#. More than half of that is taken up by the front axle because that's where the engine is located. Let's say it's 65% over the front axle and 35% over the rear axle. That's almost 2000 pounds you already have over the rear axle. So you have about 1800 pounds left to work with. The camper is only 1000 pounds, but that's empty, dry weight. Once you add in water, gear, passengers, etc. it starts to add up quickly. The weight of the camper would be almost completely over the rear axle, but the passengers and gear (if it's inside the truck) will be spread out between the two.

I only point this out because, for F150s, if you're getting close to the payload limit you're also starting to get close to the rear GAWR, which is not ideal. Other trucks have higher axle ratings so that when you're at max payload you still have some room to work with on the axles.

Anyway you'll be fine with a 1000# camper built for a 5.5' bed. Where you are you seeing these? Is that the FWC Raven model? If so, I think you'd be fine with a FWC Raven that is build as the "shell only" plus a heater. But when you start looking at a "full camper" that include the kitchen, dinette seating, etc. that's probably going to end up over 1000 pounds, even for the 5.5' Raven model.

I just went to the FWC website and they show the Raven as being 1050# for the "full camper". But when you start building it out and selecting add-ons (i.e batteries, etc.), you end up closer to 1400 # (at least that's where I was when I was building out the one I wanted). And keep in mind that camper manufacturers are notorious for lowballing camper weights. If it ends up being closer to 1400 #, and your payload is only 1700# then you're right at payload as soon as you add you and your wife (no gear, food, water).

The Project M looks promising too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears