WTS: Land Rover LR4 (off-road / overland)

mcieplinski

Adventurer
Hi All,

After much consideration I am exploring an option to sell my beloved Landy. Here are the details:

2011 LR4 HSE (grey paint / black+wood interior) - only 53k miles (the car does not have the HD package)

UPDATED PRICE: $50,000 - truck is located in Northern California.

I am a member of a Northern California Land Rover club and for years have been caring and improving this truck. Now it is time to part ways… and find for it a new home that will appreciate it.

Here are the improvements made:

BFGs TA KO2 - 265/65/R18 (6 tires)
LR3 18in wheels with conversion (custom made 30mm spacers)
Terrafirma hidden winch mount
Winch - Superwinch 9.5 SR
IID Tool (BT)
Baja Roof Rack (custom made - 50in wide) plus FrontRunner ladder
RoadShower (mounted on the baja rack)
Oz-Tent FoxWing (mounted on the baja rack + connection accessory to Oz-Tent)
Tactical Rovers/4x4 - (1) sliders, (2) gas tank and (3) transfer case skid plates
Rigid Industries D2 driving lamps mounted on OEM A bar
Dual Batteries set up (Traxide) with Optima D34 as a second battery
Green Oval EAS Inflation Kit (large) - air suspension override system
Green Oval suspension lift kit
Kaymar rear bumper (double swing - 2 spare tires plus aux lamp LED plus Hi-Lift Jack)
Internal Viair (dual pump set up) air compressor
HAM radio (YAESU-7900R - 50w) - mounted and connected to a diamond antenna
AT Overland drawer system (rear storage PLUS TWO boxes for passengers - creates a FLAT bad with a fridge (not included in the offer) in the middle). Great for rainy/windy days - 2 adults and two small kids can sleep inside the car!!!
OEM tow kit + electric tow connection
Rear access solar panels connection for battery charging while camping
OEM Snow Traction system (special snow chains)
and the best at the end: Long Range Automotive auxiliary fuel tank (28.5 gallons of extra fuel) - fully integrated in the LR fuel system (electric pump)

This is a perfect family camping / Northern America overland truck and the only reason that I am selling it is that I would like to buy a D110 for my next project. While working on this truck I have taken the best ideas made by Overland Journal guys (the much lauded Overland Journal LR4 project car) but you can see I have made some improvements (auxiliary fuel tank) and in some aspects went a different route for weight saving purposes (no front ARB bumper but a hidden winch instead). The car is in a GREAT working condition and has never been in any sort of an accident. Ready to take and explore! And yes - the car does not have the HD package… but honestly speaking never needed it (went off-road with LR3/4s with HD packages and other trucks (Defender) with full lockers and didn't see much difference in performance or ability to cross challenging terrain).

NOTE: The car has been taken offroad on overland trips (that was the purpose of the build) and thus it has some pinstripes and one not visible small dent (rear of the car). The car has NO other known issues and has been serviced every 3 months by LR dealer mechanic (e.g. in JAN 2016 replaced front control arms and bushings and in 2015 replaced the air compressor with a new unit). The BFGs TA KO2 were bought in Feb 2016 and have less than 2k miles on them.

I am offering this car first on this forum before going more "public" as really want to find a great new home for this car.

Feel free to PM me with ANY questions or request for additional info or pictures.

Best,

Michal

Attachments

• 13246197_10154916123555884_1292023282779122475_o.jpg
    13246197_10154916123555884_1292023282779122475_o.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_7712.jpg
    IMG_7712.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0200.jpg
    IMG_0200.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0196.jpg
    IMG_0196.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0219.jpg
    IMG_0219.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 120
  • White Rock Lake Trip.jpg
    White Rock Lake Trip.jpg
    623.3 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    587.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

harbinger808

Adventurer
GLWS! beautiful Disco you got there.

How is the long-range fuel tank working out?... thats the one thing I really wish I had :)

That's the bar I am looking to reach with my LR3. Inspirational build. I emailed you about the AT drawer system (questions).

Cheers,

Eric

perkj

Explorer
nice rig and wish you luck on the sale. The price is pretty steep for a 2011 at $60K. I get all the additional items it's got and the blood and sweat that went into it, but reality is the current resale on it without the mods is $31K, its got offroading marks on it, and you have it priced $29K over the current resale value which seems very high. I would suggest in your ad breaking down the cost of each of the mods to help folks better understand why such a premium is being asked. Having built up and sold many vehicles over the years, you'd be better off (from a maximizing return perspective) parting out most of the mods (the ones that can be easily removed) separately than keeping them on the vehicle and selling it as a complete package. You can only expect to get a fraction of your investment if you keep it as a complete package as the main driver of the price will be based primarily on the vehicle itself.

mcieplinski

Adventurer
nice rig and wish you luck on the sale. The price is pretty steep for a 2011 at $60K. I get all the additional items it's got and the blood and sweat that went into it, but reality is the current resale on it without the mods is $31K, its got offroading marks on it, and you have it priced $29K over the current resale value which seems very high. I would suggest in your ad breaking down the cost of each of the mods to help folks better understand why such a premium is being asked. Having built up and sold many vehicles over the years, you'd be better off (from a maximizing return perspective) parting out most of the mods (the ones that can be easily removed) separately than keeping them on the vehicle and selling it as a complete package.

Perkj - thanks for a suggestion. I will incorporate prices for most of the mods to give folks a better understanding of the price. I don't really "need" to sell but rather exploring an option as have an opportunity of acquiring another rig. I love that landy and really would like someone to enjoy it "as is" rather than stripping it down and selling piece by piece. If no buyer is found.... i will just keep it and continue enjoying it :)

A.J.M

Explorer
The price is optimistic.

The base cost of the car is what the market for 5 year old LR4's with your mileage go for.

While all the changes are nice, they aren't going to double its value over the market price.

It's almost priced high so you can say to someone "yes it's for sale" but at such a price that no one will bother getting it.

mcieplinski

Adventurer
The price is optimistic.

The base cost of the car is what the market for 5 year old LR4's with your mileage go for.

While all the changes are nice, they aren't going to double its value over the market price.

It's almost priced high so you can say to someone "yes it's for sale" but at such a price that no one will bother getting it.

Thanks A.J.M - Taking the comments in... I may need to rethink the price :)

A.J.M

Explorer
None of us are wishing to be rude.

It's a very nice car which has clearly had a lot of time, effort and money spent on it to built it into a very good and capable car.

It's similar to how several of us, myself included, wish ours to eventually turn out.

I would suggest further looking into the price so you can get a fair price for it if you do go for a sale.

Have you got a build thread or a longer post with how it's been made up?
Would make interesting reading!

fifty

Adventurer
It's a awesome truck!

I have the opportunity to buy a babies 2013 with 24k on it for $25k and was coming here for ideas and inspiration. Your rig is where I'd want to be... However...

1) it's an unknown used rig with really no warranty I the gear (even lifetime"transferable" warranties are a PITA)
2) it really looks like a "I spent $30k in parts so I'll add $30k to the price of the vehicle perceived value"
Unfortunately, all the added stuff is perceived value. Why you see so many part outs in the aftermarket car world.

My truck had about$75k invested... I was able to sell it for $15k... If I had parted Ito could have gotten 25-30k over time.
Oh well...

To me it's worth it, not that high of a price, but buying something that's figured out already... Alas...it's so far out of my price range
:(

mcieplinski

Adventurer
Hi All - thank you all for comments. Really taken them under consideration and have adjusted the price of the car to $50k. I think now it is in line with the market.

perkj

Explorer
you're headed in the right direction, but based on market value of the LR4 you're at least 10-12K still off what reality would suggest . At $50K your implying the current value of the "now used" add-ons is $19K-20K. While this may be true if you parted them out individually (though I question even this), you're gonna be hard pressed convincing someone to pay a 20K premium over what the base LR4 is worth especially given that this LR4 has been taken off road and has markings from it.

Another piece of advice - while the pictures of the car off roading, rock climbing, and splashing thru deep water passings are cool to look at, they drive potential buyers away as it shows the vehicle has been stressed (read this as "abused" in most people's mind)...especially at the price point you're looking at. I would suggest doing a complete cleaning, claybar & wax (making every attempt to get the pin striping out the best you can)and detailing of the rig. Then post only pictures of it parked showing it off in the best light you can and also offering detailed pictures of everything you've done to it. As the ad currently sits what immediately comes to my mind if I was in the market is that this person invested a ton in this rig, is now selling it for some odd reason given that investment and the pictures suggest to potential buyers the rig may be plaguing the current owner with some problems and is looking to off load it before more surface. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm just giving my honest feedback to help you better position the rig for sale.

Best of luck to you on the sale and if you can get $50K for it, pat yourself on the back! :)

Last edited:
Hi All - thank you all for comments. Really taken them under consideration and have adjusted the price of the car to $50k. I think now it is in line with the market.

I say sell and ask for whatever you want. Market and recession are individual and do not impact everyone the same. If you are in no rush to sell, then hold onto it until you get what YOU want/need for it. If you are in a rush to sell, then yes, maybe worry about what every tire kicker (Market) will pay and then adjust appropriately.

There are some great points on this thread, however, all of them are opinion to include mine. To be honest, my view is there are many now sitting back and waiting to see how low you will go just to snatch it up at a steal because others are beating your price down with no money on the table.

There is NO market for your rig because there is only ONE rig (Yours) like this available for sale................You are the market setter for your rig configured this way because there is no other inventory available.

I just sold a classic truck for $4k above mainland market price because it was the ONLY one available on the Hawaiian islands.............I set the market price because I owned the market at the time; that's how it works. If I was on the mainland, the only way I could have made more than market is by being completely different than what the other sellers had to offer. That would mean, condition, accessories, modifications, etc... Sounds very similar to your LR4 IMO.

How many LR4s are on the market like yours? I searched a bit over the weekend and found hundreds of bone stock and lightly modified (AT Tires) LR4s; I found zero even remotely close to yours..................that's my point.

mcieplinski

Adventurer
you're headed in the right direction, but based on market value of the LR4 you're at least 10-12K still off what reality would suggest . At $50K your implying the current value of the "now used" add-ons is $19K-20K. While this may be true if you parted them out individually (though I question even this), you're gonna be hard pressed convincing someone to pay a 20K premium over what the base LR4 is worth especially given that this LR4 has been taken off road and has markings from it.

Another piece of advice - while the pictures of the car off roading, rock climbing, and splashing thru deep water passings are cool to look at, they drive potential buyers away as it shows the vehicle has been stressed (read this as "abused" in most people's mind)...especially at the price point you're looking at. I would suggest doing a complete cleaning, claybar & wax (making every attempt to get the pin striping out the best you can)and detailing of the rig. Then post only pictures of it parked showing it off in the best light you can and also offering detailed pictures of everything you've done to it. As the ad currently sits what immediately comes to my mind is that this person invested a ton in this rig, is now selling it for some odd reason given that investment and the pictures suggest to me the rig may be plaguing the current owner with some problems and is looking to off load it before more surface. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm just giving my honest feedback to help you better position the rig for sale.

Best of luck to you on the sale and if you can get $50K for it, pat yourself on the back! :)

Hi Perkj - thanks for your comments but I can't agree with some of the assumptions:

1. The cost of all add-ons is WAY more than $20k and that counting when they were still available in the US and not adding $$$ to instal. For example: you are no longer able to buy a Kaymar bumper in the US and from what I have heard the cost of "self-importing" is aprox $4k+ (I paid for mine over $2k and that was minus delivery within the US). You can get another bumper but Kaymar is really VERY well made and especially the swings are much better build then the currently available other options (at least in my opinion). Also the Auxiliary tank is no longer available in the US and the company that I bought them from no longer want to ship such tanks to the US. In the US that aux tank cost me $3.5k which you probably should double for the cost of self-importation/customs etc. and that assumes that you have someone in Australia that is willing to go through a lot of trouble for you. Plus - that assumes that one knows what he is doing.... To my knowledge there is only ONE other aux tank installed on a LR3/4 in the US and that one throws fault codes. I have completely rebuild the fuel delivery system... no faults on mine. Also - good luck with calling AT Overland and asking for a custom drawer system...no longer available (took them 6 months to recreate from Overland Journal project car) and FYI it cost me $4.5k as it is a fully integrated flat bed that 2 adults and 2 young kids can sleep on. The list of custom items goes on and on..... and only these 3 items cost me $10k new... this is not counting the other 10+ items.

2. Offroad pics - I typically would not respond to your email but the comment re offroad pictures is what honestly speaking made me quite frustrated ... THIS IS NOT A SHOPPING MALL or a SHOWOFF VEHICLE!!!! What I need in things that I depend on is what THEY ARE TRULY capable of and not what the owner tells me... "Been there - done that" is what I go with. This is an overland/offroad vehicle and polishing/waxing is simply silly and INSULTS the intelligence of the potential buyer. To make it even clearer: I DON'T want to sell this car to someone that will not use it for what it was build for. This car is for an enthusiast of overlanding. It was build for it and will deliver all that it is promised to be.

3. Need to sell - dude... you don't know me at all. I have NO need to sell it and if I will not I will simply keep it. Why would I, at a loss to what I have put into it, sell a car that is great? As for "any hidden issues" - I take my kids in it on northern california land rover club trips which should be a statement understood by any parent. I just have no place (and time/will) to maintain, at the level that I do, two cars as I am looking at getting a D110. It has been my dream to have a D110.....

Final note: I get your comments: One can build that car again and recreate it. You made it clear.... but why I haven't seen a car like that EVER build... the reason is: it is damn freaking difficult to do it and costs a lot of money. This is an option for someone to get it now.... So suma sumarum: Thank you for your comments but please stop and "live long and prosper".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears