WTS: Land Rover LR4 (off-road / overland)

mcieplinski

Adventurer
I say sell and ask for whatever you want. Market and recession are individual and do not impact everyone the same. If you are in no rush to sell, then hold onto it until you get what YOU want/need for it. If you are in a rush to sell, then yes, maybe worry about what every tire kicker (Market) will pay and then adjust appropriately.

There are some great points on this thread, however, all of them are opinion to include mine. To be honest, my view is there are many now sitting back and waiting to see how low you will go just to snatch it up at a steal because others are beating your price down with no money on the table.

There is NO market for your rig because there is only ONE rig (Yours) like this available for sale................You are the market setter for your rig configured this way because there is no other inventory available.

I just sold a classic truck for $4k above mainland market price because it was the ONLY one available on the Hawaiian islands.............I set the market price because I owned the market at the time; that's how it works. If I was on the mainland, the only way I could have made more than market is by being completely different than what the other sellers had to offer. That would mean, condition, accessories, modifications, etc... Sounds very similar to your LR4 IMO.

How many LR4s are on the market like yours? I searched a bit over the weekend and found hundreds of bone stock and lightly modified (AT Tires) LR4s; I found zero even remotely close to yours..................that's my point.

Thanks man - the price is now firm. I think $50k is an awesome price for this truck. If someone feels that this is too much then it is FINE. Everyone has a right and can have an opinion. My recommendation than is go to ebay/autotrader spend $35k for a used stock truck and start modifying. You can otherwise spend $15k more and get mine.... This is the choice at hand :) Simple....

ColoDisco

Explorer
As I always say, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Personally I never include install labor in the price of a vehicle I'm selling. While I am a technician I realize there is no inherent value in my work in regards to vehicle value. I am but a mere selling point "serviced or installed by a certified technician". You could say joe wrench charged me a insane amount to install the bumper so I am going to add that to the value. Not how it works. The real value is in the parts and their uniqueness. Same as your one of a kind LR4. ;)

mcieplinski

Adventurer
As I always say, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Personally I never include install labor in the price of a vehicle I'm selling. While I am a technician I realize there is no inherent value in my work in regards to vehicle value. I am but a mere selling point "serviced or installed by a certified technician". You could say joe wrench charged me a insane amount to install the bumper so I am going to add that to the value. Not how it works. The real value is in the parts and their uniqueness. Same as your one of a kind LR4. ;)

Hey ColoDisco - Agreed... the price is what someone is willing to pay for it. Also - a premium of $15k-$20k over a stock does not include any installation costs but simply mentioned them as some mods that my truck has require serious technical skills which only few have - I don't... :)

perkj

Explorer
Hi Perkj - thanks for your comments but I can't agree with some of the assumptions:

1. The cost of all add-ons is WAY more than $20k and that counting when they were still available in the US and not adding $$$ to instal. For example: you are no longer able to buy a Kaymar bumper in the US and from what I have heard the cost of "self-importing" is aprox $4k+ (I paid for mine over $2k and that was minus delivery within the US). You can get another bumper but Kaymar is really VERY well made and especially the swings are much better build then the currently available other options (at least in my opinion). Also the Auxiliary tank is no longer available in the US and the company that I bought them from no longer want to ship such tanks to the US. In the US that aux tank cost me $3.5k which you probably should double for the cost of self-importation/customs etc. and that assumes that you have someone in Australia that is willing to go through a lot of trouble for you. Plus - that assumes that one knows what he is doing.... To my knowledge there is only ONE other aux tank installed on a LR3/4 in the US and that one throws fault codes. I have completely rebuild the fuel delivery system... no faults on mine. Also - good luck with calling AT Overland and asking for a custom drawer system...no longer available (took them 6 months to recreate from Overland Journal project car) and FYI it cost me $4.5k as it is a fully integrated flat bed that 2 adults and 2 young kids can sleep on. The list of custom items goes on and on..... and only these 3 items cost me $10k new... this is not counting the other 10+ items.

2. Offroad pics - I typically would not respond to your email but the comment re offroad pictures is what honestly speaking made me quite frustrated ... THIS IS NOT A SHOPPING MALL or a SHOWOFF VEHICLE!!!! What I need in things that I depend on is what THEY ARE TRULY capable of and not what the owner tells me... "Been there - done that" is what I go with. This is an overland/offroad vehicle and polishing/waxing is simply silly and INSULTS the intelligence of the potential buyer. To make it even clearer: I DON'T want to sell this car to someone that will not use it for what it was build for. This car is for an enthusiast of overlanding. It was build for it and will deliver all that it is promised to be.

3. Need to sell - dude... you don't know me at all. I have NO need to sell it and if I will not I will simply keep it. Why would I, at a loss to what I have put into it, sell a car that is great? As for "any hidden issues" - I take my kids in it on northern california land rover club trips which should be a statement understood by any parent. I just have no place (and time/will) to maintain, at the level that I do, two cars as I am looking at getting a D110. It has been my dream to have a D110.....

Final note: I get your comments: One can build that car again and recreate it. You made it clear.... but why I haven't seen a car like that EVER build... the reason is: it is damn freaking difficult to do it and costs a lot of money. This is an option for someone to get it now.... So suma sumarum: Thank you for your comments but please stop and "live long and prosper".

To start and to be clear, I have ZERO interest in purchasing this vehicle, I have a built LR3 for the sole purpose of overlanding/off roading that suits me just fine.

You've clearly missed the points of my comments as I never (1) suggested that you didn't likely spend well over 30K on additions to the rig, (2) suggested to position the car as a mall hauler, and (3) implied that you had to sell it. My points were (1) the additions will depreciate the minute they become "used" and will do so at a faster rated when tied to a vehicle that will be the primary driver of the price, (2) for $50K and given LRs higher rate of depreciation most people will expect the car to be clean, scratch free, and near pristine condition...remember you're asking top dollar and you need put yourself in that mindset, (3) with this specific thread being in the LR forum and not in the for sale area, my impression was you were looking for help and guidance to sell.

I own an 2008 LR3 HSE Lux w/HD with 51K miles on it built purely for overlanding and offroading and with a few exceptions mine is near equally built to yours (some areas more so and some less so) and has been so for a much longer period than yours and have done every bit of work to it myself, so I consider myself someone who has a tiny bit of expertise when it comes to these rigs. Anyway, your point is taken to leave you alone in this thread and I wish you best of luck with the sale. I pray you get $50K for it as that means mine will be worth a lot more than I think its worth right now on the open market. No hurt feelings on my end and my intent wasn't to hurt yours so I apologize if it came across that way. I'm sure we'll cross paths at some point give we're both LR guys in northern California so if you every see a built up 2008 Stornoway Gray LR3 w/ an ARB from bumper, rear tire swing, Rover Specialty sliders, Rhino high mount hitch, and Baja Rack with a Roadshower on it (the external give aways that its my rig), give me a wave.

Last edited:

mcieplinski

Adventurer
To start and to be clear, I have ZERO interest in purchasing this vehicle, I have a built LR3 for the sole purpose of overlanding/off roading that suits me just fine.

You've clearly missed the points of my comments as I never (1) suggested that you didn't likely spend well over 30K on additions to the rig, (2) suggested to position the car as a mall hauler, and (3) implied that you had to sell it. My points were (1) the additions will depreciate the minute they become "used" and will do so at a faster rated when tied to a vehicle that will be the primary driver of the price, (2) for $50K and given LRs higher rate of depreciation most people will expect the car to be clean, scratch free, and near pristine condition...remember you're asking top dollar and you need put yourself in that mindset, (3) with this specific thread being in the LR forum and not in the for sale area, my impression was you were looking for help and guidance to sell.

I own an 2008 LR3 HSE Lux w/HD with 51K miles on it built purely for overlanding and offroading and with a few exceptions mine is near equally built to yours (some areas more so and some less so) and has been so for a much longer period than yours and have done every bit of work to it myself, so I consider myself someone who has a tiny bit of expertise when it comes to these rigs. Anyway, your point is taken to leave you alone in this thread and I wish you best of luck with the sale. I pray you get $50K for it as that means mine will be worth a lot more than I think its worth right now on the open market. No hurt feelings on my end and my intent wasn't to hurt yours so I apologize if it came across that way. I'm sure we'll cross paths at some point give we're both LR guys in northern California so if you every see a built up 2008 Stornoway Gray LR3 w/ an ARB from bumper, rear tire swing, Rover Specialty sliders, Rhino high mount hitch, and Baja Rack with a Roadshower on it (the external give aways that its my rig), give me a wave.

Hi Perkj - we are cool :) As per earlier comments: the price is what folks are willing to pay for it. I really don't "need" to sell it but I just can't justify having two offroad landrovers for what I do with them (typically once a quarter (when I am lucky) weekend(ish) trip....) I am getting a lot of inbound interest so I believe (or i am led to believe) the price is near or at the sweet spot. I guess my point in all of it was that it is a very unique car and the market for what is one of the most modified LR4s out there will be set by this car. I don't recall (but correct me if I am wrong) if there ever was an LR4 on the market with similar mods so any discussions re price are purely academic. Also - what I found out doing weeklong trips is that the biggest drawback of LR3/4s is their range (and width - but you can't do much about this...). With auxiliary tank (extra 26 gallons of fuel) your range more than doubles. This extra fuel capacity is even without two nato jerry cans which add another 10g gallons. This totals 58 gallons of fuel which means with conservative 15mpg a range of 870 miles!!!! This speaks volumes for overlanding.... and short of self importing the aux tank and spending a lot of money noone can get it anymore. For overlanding (eg death valley / North East etc) range is a huge issue.

mcieplinski

Adventurer
One question on the 2nd tank- havd you been able to pass a smog check visual inspection with it on?

Drove by local smog for a sanity check when I installed it and was told no issues as it taps into existing lines. Also - it takes 30-45 min to take out so anyone can simply remove it. You can search this forum for build thread for additional questions etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perkj

Explorer
Drove by local smog for a sanity check when I installed it and was told no issues as it taps into existing lines. Also - it takes 30-45 min to take out so anyone can simply remove it. You can search this forum for build thread for additional questions etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

ColoDisco

Explorer
I am seriously considering the longer range tank, my only concern is the post rear wheel weight as it pertains to steep uphill angle off-road performance. I had a issue with my 95 disco full of gear and with the RTT on top where I really struggled for traction on the front tires.

mcieplinski

Adventurer
I am seriously considering the longer range tank, my only concern is the post rear wheel weight as it pertains to steep uphill angle off-road performance. I had a issue with my 95 disco full of gear and with the RTT on top where I really struggled for traction on the front tires.

HI ColoDisco - As you can see from some of my pics I never had an issue climbing really steep hills (the engine weights a bit too...) That being said - I do see some power difference between LR3 and LR4s (and in traction control systems between the cars) and thus don't take my word if we are not comparing apples to apples (dunno which truck you have). Also - your LR3/4 platform is really REALLY different than Disco 1/2. You just can't compare.

That being said - the long range tank is an envy of practically every LR3/4 member of our Nor Cal Land Rover club. The range in our trucks really SUCKS - you need to carry a lot of gas (at least two jerry cans) AND since they typically end up on your roof they make cars more tippy (especially when you start using the gas and do not rebalance after each fill) The aux tank is great for keeping the car grounded and is just SUCH easy to use (press a button...). That being said - it was a LOT of effort to put it all together. The aux tanks are made for diesel engines and thus NONE of the parts fit (except for the actual tank). As a result you need to rebuild all connections and really learn LR3/4 fuel intake system. It is all doable but not a breeze :)

Last edited:

ColoDisco

Explorer
I understand the fuel system. My only worry is the evap pump prematurely wearing out due to the extra area it has to pressurize. But on the other hand it may be worth the expense to not have to carry fuel on the roof. ;)

Thanks for your insight!

Dr2sleep

Interested and would like to view Vehicle at your earliest convenience. I know Speicher and he mentioned this rig.
- Johnson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998