X-Rite Photo offering free colour management webinars.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
X-Rite, the kings of colour out of Grand Rapids Michigan are going to be offering free colour management webinars this month. You can sign up HERE. If colour management intimidates you or you simply don't know what it is, this is a great opportunity to ask questions, and/or to simply get up to speed on why it's such a critical part of a properly managed digital workflow. IMO, if you're workflow isn't colour managed you might as well be editing your photos with a blindfold on,....really! As I also recently learned, this is equally important for digital black and white shooters too because digital black and white derives its conversion information from the colour capture.

If you don't know what colour management is, below should give you a very basic idea. Please keep in mind, this is just the capture phase of a managed workflow. The more critical phases, in my opinion, come into play once you start to push an image through various devices that all display and interpret colour differently.

On the left is a captured image from a Canon S90, brought into Lightroom with the as shot white balance and Adobe's Standard colour profile applied, and #2 on the right what the image looks like with my custom Canon S90 sunset profile applied and corrected white balance.
i-9BBDjsX-M.jpg
i-KZwM7Td-M.jpg

Here's another example. The only difference between these two images is the colour profile that is applied. White balance, tone curve and standard colour adjustments are all the same.

This is how Lightroom interprets what it thinks my Nikon captured, with the reds and oranges looking more magenta, and the yellows and greens shifted cooler.
i-dKgddfm-M.jpg

...and this is how it actually looked and was captured by the camera, after applying a profile that I specifically created for the camera that I used, in this specific light.
i-GprGBSv-M.jpg

In any case, if you're interested in this stuff, it may be worth your time to check out the webinars.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior