XJ drop down fold out tailgate behind (or in front of) the liftgate

I decided to build a tailgate for my cherokee. I wanted to build something that would fold down after the lift gate is opened. The liftgate is handy in the rain. I didnt want to hack up the interior and wanted sonething that would be out of the way when not needed and easily removable.
Mock up with my 416 tailgate
march 2013 036.jpg
march 2013 037.jpg

I started with beefing up the sides behind the plastic.
march 2013 035.jpg

When i was trying to figure out the hinges i was considering re-using old liftgate hinges, or welding barrel type hinges to the floor or regular door hinges from home depot. Then i came across these, replacement hinges for a pickup. Duh, why reinvent the hinge.
march 2013 041.jpgmarch 2013 040.jpg

Today I built the tailgate. I still have to grind it down a little and skin it. march 2013 004.jpgmarch 2013 008.jpgmarch 2013 010.jpgmarch 2013 006.jpg

Folded the other way also doubles as a shelf with a few inches of storage below
march 2013 003.jpg

Chi-Town

The guy under the car
If you latched it at 90 deg. (straight up) and then coupled it with a set of drawers and a fridge slide that would slide over the top it would be a perfectly usable space. It wouldn't eat up your cargo area space and with a set of drop down legs would provide a great spot for food prep / eating.

I am working on keeping it upright. Trying to keep it simple... I want to easily be able to fold it down when the tailgate is opened. I hadn't planned on folding it in on the floor when I was building it I just saw that and figured it may also be useful.
I welded 11 ga sheet metal today and have to work on cable supports this weekend.

Chi-Town

The guy under the car
with the width have you thought about fold up legs that fold side to side for more weight capacity?

I ended up using 16 ga, a 4x8 sheet was about $70. Its thicker than the sheetmetal used on body panels and won't dent too easily. I cut it to fit, welded it and ground most of the welds smooth.

march 2013 006.jpgmarch 2013 010.jpgmarch 2013 019.jpgmarch 2013 008.jpg

I like the idea of having a tailgate so much i started to build one for the daily driver, a 2002 WJ. This proved to be much more difficult. There is no access to the inside of the quarter panels so i may have to use self tapping screws. I thought about making some hinges that bolt under the floor near the spare tire but it wasn't going well because the back end is curved. I was in a rush to get this done before this years outerbanks trip But i just need more time to work it out. This is the only pic i have of the WJ tailgate.
march 2013 030.jpg

reece146

Automotive Artist
I think this is a neat idea because it spaces you far enough from the back of the Jeep to keep you from getting your clothes dirty unnecessarily or smashing your knees/thighs on the trailer hitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears