XJ going from 5.5'' to 3.5''/4.5''

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Hi guys,

So I've built the Sour Grape in the Jeep section.

Quickly: Rubicon Express 5.5 Heavy Duty Long Arm kit. SYE, 4.56 gears, 33'' tires. Lockers F+R.

Thoughts: This thing is a monster. I've been driving it for a few months now and I just think that it might be too big. I have found that I don't DO the monster rock trails and that I'm more the adventure style where I'll go baja running like Jeepspeed or just general exploring, but nothing ridonkulous.

What to do?: I spoke to Rubicon Express about going to a lower height and with the Long Arms they said I could do two things:

drop to 4.5'': replace springs, take out shackle for leafs and replace shocks (could still fit 33's with trimming)

drop to 3.5'': replace springs, leafs, shocks and trackbar (might not fit 33's)

So NOW the debate is: ****** to do? Swap with someone with RE components looking to upgrade? Purchase and resell my junk? Keep it large and in charge?

I guess I could easily take out the shackle, put the bolt back in and see how she sits at that height to see if it's to my liking???

What are the thoughts from the pros? ...and don't call it blasphemy :snorkel:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
what about dropping to 3.5, and running those iceland flares we've all talked about on NAXJA? I'll bet you could keep the 33"s and gearing...and have a better on-road ride, without losing the "under-diff" clearance [clarence]

How do you feel about cutting your fenders?

SWbySWesty

I was planning to cut the fenders anyways - so no need for new fenders. I think I'm going to remove the shackles out back, slide the bolt in, lower the Jeep and see how it looks because all the extra expense of going to 3.5 is tough...besides - I do like to go fast and want to have some travel ;)

Riot

I say 4.5 without cutout flares, 3.5 with.

For the record I'm not a fan of flareless so I'm biased.

For the record, I wish I could afford bushwhackers.(haha) Also, I wish I had gone 4.5" just because I want to be a little more noticeable, but as far as functionality goes, 3.5" will get you just about anywhere you need to go.

SWbySWesty

Thanks guys - my questions have been answered for my main concerns! I can do either way and keep the expensive gear like tires and gearing.

So now I'll just figure out 3.5 or 4.5. 4.5 seems easier to do...simple spring swap up front and potentially shocks depending on which monotubes I have (can't remember if they're the 4.5-5.5 or 5.5-7.5)

I have the RE 3.5" SF kit- it works well. I'd love to bump up to 4.5" (springs and add shackles) and have long arms for the articulation and increase the height because I know when the bumpers go on the ride height will drop a bit.

MHOFWIW

Nikson

Explorer
if you are able to keep your long arms and drop to 4.5, that works the best in my opinion for the 33s.

personally gone that way (only no long arm fronts, but will here soon)...

Long Arms give you a lot softer ride & lower you keep the lift, less up travel on your axle you will have.

Good Luck...

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
since you have everything under there already, I say take it down to 4.5.
Thats what i am running on mine and it seems to be the right height for me.
I would say 3.5 because of alot of the problems associated with the taller lift, but you have the drop components needed to make the 4.5 so go with it.

SWbySWesty

Yea - I'm going to try out 4.5 and see how it is since the only thing I hope to need are front coils (which I can resell if i don't like it).

Going to 3.5 is going to cost a lot more unless I find I direct swap, but I'm going to give 4.5 a go first.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Yea - I'm going to try out 4.5 and see how it is since the only thing I hope to need are front coils (which I can resell if i don't like it).

Going to 3.5 is going to cost a lot more unless I find I direct swap, but I'm going to give 4.5 a go first.

hey I think you should try out 4.5, and see how that is...

:coffeedrink:

SWbySWesty

Really? The coils definitely look like they have molded ends...

324.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78