XJ steering problems?

CAPTNDAVIE

Observer
I have a 91 XJ with a Rubicon Express 4.5" lift. It currently has the loose track bar bracket problem and needs tie rod ends. I am getting death wobble at 45 mph. What options are there for tie rod ends and steering setups other than the factory stuff? What options are there for the track bar / panhard bar bracket?

shogun

Adventurer
JCR one-ton is a great bit of gear. But it seems it creates as many (if not more) problems than it solves. Seems it twists and wears out quickly. Maybe they fixed it, but it used to come with a "special" bushing/washer to delay the wear.

Factory grand/v-8 tie rod is significantly bigger and bolt-on fit.

DaJudge

Explorer
RE HD Track bar and bracket
Currie HD Steering

I Have been running this setup on my XJ for 5 years and have never had death wobble or any other issues.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I ran the ZJ V-8 tie rod, and used all MOOG parts on my XJ. It held up very well.

Like 'shogun' said, it's a direct bolt in for the XJ factory tie rod, but much beefier.

The nice part using that is, you can find parts from any parts store or junk yard, and even carry your original set up as a spare.

As far as trac bars, the RE Extreme one is hard to beat.

wADVr

Adventurer
RE HD Track bar and bracket
Currie HD Steering

I Have been running this setup on my XJ for 5 years and have never had death wobble or any other issues.

X2 though to save a few$$ the V8 ZJ steering is much better than stock XJ. The RE track bar brace is a worthy investment as well. Haven't had one loosen up on me in almost 9 years.

CAPTNDAVIE

Observer
Per Currie's website:...the vehicle must have a minimum of a 2" bump stop (over stock).

Why do you need to lower your bump stops?

Heartless

I have a 6" lift on 33's, always ran it on short arms. Then i decided to get a T&T customs long arm kit w/ belly pan, which was a great upgrade; though it might be overkill on a 4.5" lift. It really made a huge difference changing the angles to a more stock camber. I also used a Currie HD steering linkage and various braces to allow that extra support on the steering box. And since i was in there i put a new PSC steering box. The whole setup tracks perfectly straight, very linear response and is just plain tough. I highly recommend this upgrade. Before this i also did a steering stabilizer a couple years back when i got death wobble. It only happened once when i went over a diagonal train track at about 60km/h. shoock like mad. I used a KYB or something.

My advice is to go overboard on the steering as it is what keeps you out of harms way on or off road.

wADVr

Adventurer
Per Currie's website:...the vehicle must have a minimum of a 2" bump stop (over stock).

Why do you need to lower your bump stops?

Purely speculating but I assume that the draglink must have some angle built into the joints to accommodate increased travel which is usually biased toward droop. 2" less up travel from factory is the minimum I would run with anything over a 2" lift and 245/75r16s anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78