XJ Transmission Help!

alexfm

Explorer
I figured this would be the best place to post this on here, especially since my usual XJ forum isn't working. :snorkel:

On to my question. I've got a 95 Cherokee with the 4.0L and an AX-15 manual tranny. I've gone through almost all the fluid changes on my rig, except the transmission. Reason being, I can't get the fill plug out. I can't seem to find the right socket size, and I couldn't find the info in the manual. So my question to you all, O mighty knowledge bank that is ExPo, what size is the fill plug on an AX-15 transmission?

*As a quick note* The closest I could get to the right size was 24mm, but it wiggled a bit too much, and I don't want to strip the bolt.

Thanks for the help,
Alex.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I've had pretty good luck with a gator grip universal socket so if you can find one of those try that out. It makes a great space saver in a motorcycle bag too.

ExpoMike

I can't help you with the size but can give you this advice. I bought an AX15 (2WD version) for a different project of mine and the previous owner had stripped out fitting and then proceeded to try to drill a hole in it and screwed it up completely. I ended up having to weld a nut to the plug and because of the heat of welding, it came out fairly easily.

What I would recommend is to find the socket that fits as snug as you can get, making sure it's a 6 point style and then get a propane torch and apply some heat to the plug. You are not trying to get it red hot (which you won't do with propane anyways) but hot enough to allow things to break free. Then it should turn out fairly easily.

Good luck.

alexfm

Explorer
Well, me and dad stopped at a pawn shop we go to sometimes, because they had these boxes full of loose sockets. A few minutes later, we had another 24mm and 15/16" socket. :) Best part of it all, total cost was $1.07. :D And i almost bought a decent but beat up Mosin M44 for $100, but I passed it up. :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger