XK or Durango?

98GP

Observer
If car fax reports no open recalls chances are the recall has been performed. I am a Franchised dealer for
CJDR, the last eight of the VIN and the miles and I can give the dealer service history.

cool yeah, here you go...
7C552819

Thanks!

kayadog

Adventurer
Make sure you check out the back seat in the XK. I loved the XK in theory but when I test drove one I was surprised that the back seat is really cramped. The 3rd row seat is also very tight and there is zero cargo space when the 3rd row is in use. I went with a 2010 WK instead as the back seat is larger. They must have move the 2nd row forward a few inches to accommodate the 3rd row, and even the WK 2nd row is on the tight side.

Also beware the earlier years-- a neighbor has a 2008 XK 3.7 and it has been plagued by electrical issues from the start.

Don't get me wrong-- I like Commanders and the 3rd row is nice. I'd love to have a Hemi Quadradrive.

Very happy with my 2010 WK 3.7 QT1 as a family wagon. 90k trouble free miles.

paroxysym

Adventurer
Make sure you check out the back seat in the XK. I loved the XK in theory but when I test drove one I was surprised that the back seat is really cramped. The 3rd row seat is also very tight and there is zero cargo space when the 3rd row is in use. I went with a 2010 WK instead as the back seat is larger. They must have move the 2nd row forward a few inches to accommodate the 3rd row, and even the WK 2nd row is on the tight side.

Also beware the earlier years-- a neighbor has a 2008 XK 3.7 and it has been plagued by electrical issues from the start.

Don't get me wrong-- I like Commanders and the 3rd row is nice. I'd love to have a Hemi Quadradrive.

Very happy with my 2010 WK 3.7 QT1 as a family wagon. 90k trouble free miles.

i didnt know that about the XK 3rd row seat.. interesting. i wouldnt call the backseat of the WK cramped- im 6'5 and i found it pretty cozy back there.

also a WK owner here, 2007 with 137k on her... great family vehicle, as i have a new addition to the fam. reliable, theyre easy to work on once you get over all the elctrical BS. coming from XJ/TJ/YJ/WJ, this things awesome.

kayadog

Adventurer
I'm 6'1" and when my 3 year old sits behind me in his child seat I can't put the seat far enough to be comfortable. The WK back seat might seem big compared to an XJ TJ or YJ but compared to other SUV's that competed with the WK with similar fuel economy it is pretty small. If you go XK I'd just make sure you check the carfax and make sure the back seats meet your needs.

Just 5 minutes ago I saw an XK with about a small lift and 265/70r17 all terrains. Looked awesome!

Last edited:

98GP

Observer
Yep, all good advise.
Still looking for the perfect combo of price, miles and options. They are small inside when compared to the Excursion that I currently own, but the XK will do just fine. I have a Honda Odyssey that does the normal family hauling and the XK will just help out when needed. I am looking for a family fun machine that can carry six legally and not suck my wallet dry when it comes time to refuel. I think the XK will fit that bill nicely...especially a Limted, 5.7, QDII with leather and DVD.

kayadog

Adventurer
Don't forget that that the 2008-09 4.7's and 2009-10 5.7's get a big power increase without much of a fuel economy penalty. As for a Hemi XK not draining your wallet at the pump........

Post pictures when you get one!

Last edited:

hoaxci5

Observer
I only ever get 17 mpg's highway with my slightly lifted XK on 255/75 AT's. The speedo was corrected with a flashpaq. Just some real world numbers for you to compare and not get your hopes too high on saving at the pump.

98GP

Observer
Thanks for the real world. Anything will be better than the V10 gas hawg Excursion.

Is the only difference between the QTII and the QDII the ELSD in the QDII? Is the drivetrain the same otherwise in the XK?

I ask because I found a 2006 base with the 4.7 V8 and QTII 4x4 system with only 62K for $12K. Am I stupid to pass this up? Or should I hold out for the 5.7 Hemi and QDII in that $12K range with 40K more miles? $12K is my upper limit.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Thanks for the real world. Anything will be better than the V10 gas hawg Excursion.

Is the only difference between the QTII and the QDII the ELSD in the QDII? Is the drivetrain the same otherwise in the XK?

I ask because I found a 2006 base with the 4.7 V8 and QTII 4x4 system with only 62K for $12K. Am I stupid to pass this up? Or should I hold out for the 5.7 Hemi and QDII in that $12K range with 40K more miles? $12K is my upper limit.

As an owner of a WK w/ QT2 I would try to get QD2...that being said though...lower miles on a Jeep may trump everything. You can always add a rear air locker to the QT2 system as well.

hoaxci5

Observer
QDII has ELSD
QTII is brake controlled traction

I had QDII with a hemi, I wheeled with a few QTII's and they didn't have any problem running the same trails as I did, might have taken a little more gas to make it happen but it wasn't really noticeable. I'd say it's still plenty capable. However the 4.7 still gets basically the same mpgs as the hemi, so from a power stand point I'd hold out. Additional, you can't really add a locker to the front of a QTII, guys are swapping whole QDII axles in the front to get a locker, and using a lunchbox in the rear to get locked front and rear if they didn't get QDII.

In either case, make sure you verify that 4low works without any lights popping up. The transfer case recall (n23?) has screwed up a lot of WK/XK's and caused them to through a service 4wd code which won't allow them to shift into 4low anymore, and Jeep is dragging it's feet on a fix after it's been recalled and that happens.

98GP

Observer
If I do hold out, what is the life expectancy / durability of the Hemi / QDII drivetrain past 100K?

Like SSF556 said, "lower miles on a Jeep may trump everything."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger