XK or Durango?

hoaxci5

Observer
I can't really comment on that part, I sold mine shortly after 100k. The only issue drivetrainwise that I had was that it dropped a valve, but I was under warranty.. I had quite a few electrical gremlins which I haven't seen anyone else complain about, I was just bought that unlucky one it seems.

kayadog

Adventurer
I'm going to do out on a limb and speculate that the gas mileage on a V8 XK, especially with bigger aggressive tires, is not going to be markedly better than that of an Excursion. I hear of Hemi XK's averaging 12-14 mpg.

Broncbuster

With a 2.5 lift, 245/ 75/17 load range E Toyo AT2's, approx 150lbs gear in back I get about 17.5 hwy running 75, and 14.3 around town.

98GP

Observer
I drove the '06, 4.7L, and QTII with 62K yesterday. It has a mild lift, 2" I recon, 265/70r17 Kelly mud tires on some AEV Pintler wheels and some pretty sturdy rockerguards. It also had a 4xGuard under it too. It did not look trail beat-up, but I have to wonder what the previous owner was doing. The engine felt nice during the test drive, transmission shifted good and the transfer case shifted into low. However, right after start-up before the engine was warm, there was a small/quiet tick. It reminded me of my TJ, I6, 4L I had. I didnt hear it after the 20 min testdrive. Does the 4.7L tick some?

The dealer showed me a repair sheet that documented the repairs.
They fixed:
An exhaut leak at the manifold, new gaskets and studs...Is this a common problem?
Front wheel hub assembly
Tires rotated and balanced

Things I liked:
no sunroof to leak
engine power seemed good
stance w/ ~2" lift
It fit me...ergonomics were good.
one touch down/up front windows

Things I disliked:
radio sound...seemed like the front speakers were the only ones working
room behind the rear seat...Can the rear seats be removed without tools? Like a TJ rear seat?

Overall it was a good ride, but I am wondering...
The low miles screams old lady car but the lift and skid protection says toy (was it beat on?)
Durability of the 4.7L if the exhaust needed fixed with only 62K
Did the hub asm go out because of the oversized tires and wheels?
What is the Hemi and QDII like?

hoaxci5

Observer
hemi's were known for ticking, not sure about 4.7's

As far as being beat on, I'd crawl under it and take a close look at the skid plates, chances are they bought it with the intention of offroading it and never did, or even if they did I'm sure it was BEAT, there are few XK/WK's running around that are actually wheeled hard.
Where are you from? What color is it? I'm still involved with some XK groups/forums there is small chance I could find out who the previous owner was and maybe get more info.

Rear seats are bolted in so no simple removal (not that it's hard, but you need tools..)

Audio - if you can get the Boston Accousics system I was impressed.. components up front, with decent mid bass, but no subwoofer.

Hemi you gain MDS (shuts off 4 cyclinders) for a little mileage help, I think that's why the 4.7 and 5.7 basically get the same mpgs.

drcoopster

Adventurer
They fixed:
An exhaut leak at the manifold, new gaskets and studs...Is this a common problem?

Yes. A number of 4.7L XKs have had bolts break causing the manifold to warp. If the dealer replaced with studs, you shouldn't have to worry about it in the future.

LPIII

Observer
I see them here all the time in Michigan, most are very well kept but we do salt here in this state so...

98GP

Observer
Yes. A number of 4.7L XKs have had bolts break causing the manifold to warp. If the dealer replaced with studs, you shouldn't have to worry about it in the future.

Good to know.
Is it more common to one side or the other?
Should it I consider having the other side done too before I buy it?
How can I preserve the new studs?
Ohio is real salt happy in the winter too. I think the road departments start spreading in October and don't stop until May.

98GP

Observer
OK that one sold before I could get back to it.

I am onto a 2006 XK Limited, Hemi and QDII. It has 113500 on the odometer. I am a little apprehensive because of the miles. The CarFax says it was involved in a rear collision around 1000 miles and had to be towed. It has seen many miles since the accident.

Is there anything specific to the Hemi and QDII I should look at other than the obvious checks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger