XPCamper Prototype is on the road

Scott Brady

Founder
Marc Wassmann stopped by the new shop to show off version 1.1.

A fantastic concept, and it will certainly be interesting to watch the development towards the production version.

He will also be bringing it to the Overland Expo

The full blog entry is here: XPCamper Prototype 1.1 visits Overland Journal and Expeditions West

IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_0728.JPG

haven

Expedition Leader
These may be the first legitimate published photos of the XPCamper
anywhere! A world premiere in the pages of the ExPo forums. Nice!

Congratulations, Marc, for persevering through the many difficulties
that face someone who tries to turn inspiration into a salable product.
It's a tribute to Marc's vision that the finished camper is so similar to
the original plans.

Here's a 3D rendering that appeared on RV.net a while ago:

XP-interior.jpg

It should be noted that the camper takes full advantage of the extra
floorspace provided by the truck flatbed. The camper is removable from the
flatbed by undoing a few bolts and jacking it up. When removed and
lowered down onto a dolly, the camper rolls away. The truck is then
available for use with the flatbed.

Chip Haven

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I had the chance to see the unit in person at Marc's shop and I can also vouch for the huge amount of work that Marc has put in.

It's really hard to take a bunch of ideas, transform them into a real concept and then actually create it.

Congratulations.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
I would like to add my congratulations to Marc as well. I can certainly appreciate the amount of inspiration, dedication, hard work, time and money that it has taken to reach this milestone.
Thanks to an introduction from Chip Haven I have had the pleasure of many interesting conversations with Marc about his XP Camper, but so far I have never seen the camper in person. However that will all change soon since Marc has very kindly invited me to join him in Prescott for the Overland Expo. After the Expo we intend to take the XP on a trip through Death Valley.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Very, very interesting. Congrats to Marc for getting it put together. That's a lot of dedication on his part.

Thanks for the photos.

:coffee:

milo12

Adventurer
I thought it was going to be all hard sides, including the cabover. Looks like the cabover has cloth sides in the pictures.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
I thought it was going to be all hard sides, including the cabover. Looks like the cabover has cloth sides in the pictures.

Bear in mind that this is an incomplete prototype that you are seeing.
As far as I know the plan is to keep the soft sides, but add folding insulated hard side panels. Kind of like a combination of a soft side pop-up and "Alaskan" style folding panels. The soft sides prevent and rain, snow etc from entering the cabover pop-up area while raising and lowering the roof. If you want maximum weather and sound insulation you can fold down the interior panels on the sides and front of the bed area. In warm weather you can leave the hard panels in the folded position and take advantage of the extra ventilation available from the 3 zip open, screened windows in the soft sides. The concept is to have the best of both worlds.
Cheers
Mark

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I would like to add my congratulations to Marc as well. I can certainly appreciate the amount of inspiration, dedication, hard work, time and money that it has taken to reach this milestone.
Thanks to an introduction from Chip Haven I have had the pleasure of many interesting conversations with Marc about his XP Camper, but so far I have never seen the camper in person. However that will all change soon since Marc has very kindly invited me to join him in Prescott for the Overland Expo. After the Expo we intend to take the XP on a trip through Death Valley.

Mark,

So I gather you will be at the Expo! I will be there with Persephone....we should have quite a few stories since the last time we met in Australia...

:)

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
I'm looking forward to it Christian. I must admit that I am quite excited about the whole adventure. I actually owe it all to you in a way. If you had gone to Prescott in the XP with Marc, instead of you and Persephone taking your own vehicle, I would not have had this opportunity. See you there!
Mark

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Marc gave me the quick tour at the Central Coast M-n-G. Very neat idea and for a prototype the execution was very nice! The changes planned for the production model should make for an even nicer product with a high level of fit and finish.

You can't see it in any of the pics that I've seen, but Marc's grin was ear to ear during that whole day on the dunes at Pismo. The rig never acted top heavy or even heavy at all. Could have been just the base pick-up for the way that it behaved.

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

Would this camper setup be able to be purchased and added to someone's existing truck? Or is it strictly added to a current model year new truck. It would be great if someone could purchase a good clean, several years old used 1 ton and then have it modified for this camper, in order to help save some money. Very nice looking unit either way.

Pete Wilson

Nimbl Vehicles

Freedom to Roam
Hey

Would this camper setup be able to be purchased and added to someone's existing truck? Or is it strictly added to a current model year new truck. It would be great if someone could purchase a good clean, several years old used 1 ton and then have it modified for this camper, in order to help save some money. Very nice looking unit either way.

Pete Wilson

Sure, you can use any truck you like and set it up the way you wish.
I bought this dodge used for 21K with 47000miles, it's an 05.
It has no mods except some bigger tires on the stock rims.

There are really no modifications needed to install the camper, simply remove the original bed,install the flatbed and slip the camper on, off you go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior