XPCamper V2 Tacoma Camper: Specs, Pics and Pricing

Freebird

Adventurer
I'm surprised that Marc hasn't gone with the convenience of the Thetford cassette toilet. It is likely a space issue, but I sure like the convenience they offer.
I have to admit I am not familiar with the porta-potty as shown...
But, I don't see how it could be as easy.....

Bring me up to speed if this is the "better deal"....

Fb

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
I'm surprised that Marc hasn't gone with the convenience of the Thetford cassette toilet. It is likely a space issue, but I sure like the convenience they offer.

Fb

I think this is just a space issue as you suggested. The V2 is quite compact, and I suspect there is not enough space to provide a cassette toilet without seriously compromising the interior dinette and cabinet layout.

Flys Lo

Adventurer
I was reading this article and it says the 2013 Tacoma has 1050lb payload capacity. Hmmm. The NZ toyota site says - http://www.toyota.co.nz/NewVehicles/Models/Commercial/Hilux+4WD/SR5+TDi+4+Door+Double+Cab/3.0L/Manual/Tech+Spec/Dimensions.htm By my math, thats 1892lbs (worse case). I thought the Taco was a close cousin to our new upsized Hiluxs. Not that close obviously!
It is close, the US variants of the small pickups (Tacoma vs. Hilux, Frontier vs. Navara etc.) usually have softer springs/other small changes, but their reduced payload is mostly in the marketing numbers to drive sales to their larger pickups.

Plus, the smaller pickups in the US are mostly seen as "run-abouts", most people that want to use their vehicle for serious commercial purposes will get an F350.

Nimbl Vehicles

Freedom to Roam

Fb

The toilet is we are using is like a cassette.
It has an electric flush, build in toilet paper holder and the same features as the cassette.

It's called the Curve by Thetford

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PRODUCTS/PortableToilets/PortaPottiCurve/tabid/886/Default.aspx

By having a “Porta Potti” we didn't use valuable space in a small camper. You also can take it outside when you are going with a fishing buddy.
It is the same in terms of using it. The only difference is that you are removing the whole toilet from the storage compartment.
So it is a little heavier than just the cassette.
IMO this was the better choice for this application.

Goober

Adventurer
It is close, the US variants of the small pickups (Tacoma vs. Hilux, Frontier vs. Navara etc.) usually have softer springs/other small changes, but their reduced payload is mostly in the marketing numbers to drive sales to their larger pickups.

Plus, the smaller pickups in the US are mostly seen as "run-abouts", most people that want to use their vehicle for serious commercial purposes will get an F350.

I would be interested is getting measurements on rear frame members of a Hilux to compare to the Tacoma. Any Hilux owners out there willing to provide this info, maybe photos too? Let's see if these share the same frame.

Flys Lo

Adventurer
Off the top of my head, the differences are limited to:
  • back part of the frame being boxed on the hilux
  • additional bracing on the rear axle
  • slightly shorter wheelbase (you can't get the long wheelbase version that the XPCamper fits on) on the Hilux.
  • Front lower control arms are a bit different
  • softer rear springs

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Are there any production V2 out there yet?

No, Marc is in the process of modifying the molds for the V2 XPCamper based on extensive testing prior to building the first batch of production campers. I am not aware of all of the changes he is making, but I know he has changed the interior layout and is changing the roof shape slightly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior