XPCamper V2 Tacoma Camper: Specs, Pics and Pricing

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Can we get more info on the "XPC flex mount"? Is this a 3 point mounting system? Any pictures, or a description of it? Will this XPC flex mount be available on the full size V1 XP Camper as well? Anymore info on the full size V2 version (for F150?).

Thanks.

Sorry, but Marc does not want to post details of the flex mount system at this time. There are no details on the F150 V2 at the moment, it is just a concept. We will post more about the V2 XL as the concept evolves.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
will it fit on a 1st gen Tundra?

No, it would be too narrow. There is a V2 XL concept, that is planned for the future, that would fit on a 1/2 ton full-size (F150, Ram, Tundra, etc). Because each camper requires multiple molds, new models take a while to develop.

Correction: Sorry Sourdough, I gave you an incorrect answer above. I was thinking of the second generation Tundra. Marc says it would fit on the first gen Tundra. I have asked for the dimensions of the camper and will post them when I get a reply.

Last edited:

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Are these available separate from the camper package?
What is the height of the camper (when down in travel mode) above the roof of the truck cab?

Sorry O.H. I don't know the answers to your questions. Marc is only on here occasionally. I would suggest contacting XP directly.

Keyne

Adventurer
By the way, with the weight of the camper plus fuel, gear, people exceeding the max weight of the Taco... do the suspension, wheel, tire, and brake improvements negate that issue or is that still considered a problem?

Also, if one were to buy the full package including the Taco upgrades (Bumpers, ARB Front and Rear lockers, wheels, etc.) it seems to me you wouldnt need to buy a top of the line Taco TRD but could go with an SR5?

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Also, if one were to buy the full package including the Taco upgrades (Bumpers, ARB Front and Rear lockers, wheels, etc.) it seems to me you wouldnt need to buy a top of the line Taco TRD but could go with an SR5?

Only thing I would note would be the nicer interior on the TRD, better seats and the leather wheel is nice. Although I have not kept up on the Tacoma models in the last couple years, things could have changed.

Also, you will want a Tacoma with the Tow Package, not sure if that is easy to get on a non-TRD model.

Nimbl Vehicles

Freedom to Roam
I bought a basic Tacoma Double cab. (got a large dog :))
Truck came with towing package, larger alternator and air conditioning.
Basic package means no carpet, makes for easy cleaning and since most people add Weather tech mats any ways, why spend the extra $?
Seats are marginal. Even in the limited edition the seats where way below my comfort level. Those will be upgraded soon. Limited edition is 36K, I paid 28. So for 8 grand you can so some pretty awesome upgrades.

After 200 miles we took a new truck apart:
We then added:
Weather tech form fit mats front and rear
Weather tech window deflectors
ARB front and rear lockers
ARB Air compressor
OME suspension front and rear
ARB front bumper
Warn 9000 lbs. winch with synthetic cable
IPF driving lights
Mickey Thompson Rims
Cooper SST tires (265s)
We then fabricated some rock sliders
and a full skid plate

Added the XPC flatbed with storage boxes, slide out drawer and camper :sombrero:

IMO, I would not spend the extra $ on a TDR.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Just went to Toyota's website and built a Tacoma, the TRD Off-Road package is about $2,000 more than an SR5 (steel wheel) package. I would think most people would want at least the SR5....

I have often wondered if I was to buy another Tacoma if I would go for the TRD Off Road package again, most likely I would just do an SR5. (When I bought my '07 it was the only Tacoma on the lot and I was happy to find it.)

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Here is an excellent review from Bryon at ExploringElements

http://www.exploringelements.com/xpcamper-v2-the-ultimate-overland-truck-camper/

DSC_2601.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
X2 regarding Bryon's review. It's curious to see the diesel appliances in a gasoline-engined vehicle. One advantage of using diesel heater and cooktop is that combustion gases stay outside the vehicle interior. Natural gas stove and heater combust inside the living space, leading to potential water vapor and carbon monoxide problems.

I agree with Bryon's concerns about the payload capacity of the Tacoma. Maybe the OME suspension upgrade included higher rated springs.

The new diesel powered Ram 1500 might be a better match if you're loading the V2 with all the options. The diesel will certainly provide increased fuel economy. The Ram is 6 inches wider and 24 inches longer than the Tacoma, with a wider turning circle. So it's not as nimble as the Toyota on tight trails.

Billhilly

Adventurer

I was reading this article and it says the 2013 Tacoma has 1050lb payload capacity. Hmmm. The NZ toyota site says - http://www.toyota.co.nz/NewVehicles/Models/Commercial/Hilux+4WD/SR5+TDi+4+Door+Double+Cab/3.0L/Manual/Tech+Spec/Dimensions.htm By my math, thats 1892lbs (worse case). I thought the Taco was a close cousin to our new upsized Hiluxs. Not that close obviously!

Goober

Adventurer
I'd be surprised if Toyota USA ever upgraded the Tacoma's payload as they don't want it competing with the Tundra.

bphang10

Observer
do you have any photos or information on how the camper attaches to the flatbed? in the pricing breakdown it mentions "XP quick disconnect for camper".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior