Xrunner's Montero Expedition Trailer build

Xrunner

Explorer
-----------Start of the build-----------

My latest project is also my first venture into building an expedition trailer. She's a 1988 Mitisibishi Montero that the previous owner made into a utility trailer for transporting paintball gear...

montero_00.jpg

montero_01.jpg

montero_02.jpg

montero_03.jpg

(please ignore the date on the photos, it's incorrect)

A few Benjamins and a very smooth 45 minute tow later she arrived home. It was imperative that my new project fit in my garage so as my HOA isn't exactly trailer friendly. I push my luck enough already with my shop setup and welding habit. :cool:

montero_07.jpg

So far I'm thinking of a quasi-teardrop build with a bunk area inside and a cargo section up front where the engine bay used to sit. I'm planning to have it functional for a basic shakedown run in early June and continuing the build-out as time allows. Future plans include a roof rack, water tank, hot water setup, power system, awning, bigger tires, etc.

Phase I is a serious diet for the interior...

Last edited:

Taildragon

Thats cool, I thought about doing the same to a fj 40 I have. After giving it some serious thought I was worried the Landcruiser community would burn me at the stake for doing so!

Look forward to seeing your build.

Justin

Xrunner

Explorer
First off I pulled the seat brackets and a few other screwed down anchor points and trim pieces along the edges...
montero_08.jpg

Next removed all the carpet followed by the insulation...
montero_09.jpg

Most of the brown stuff in the picture above is dirt and not rust. Surprising for a 1988.

My original plan had been to remove the dash intact but that didn't work out as I would have had the spend a good chunk of time taking apart the air vent system to access the bolts. So out came Mr. Sawzall... :sombrero:

montero_10.jpg

montero_11.jpg

I was planning on saving the vin plated in the picture above and attempting to use it for the homebuilt ID number but the dash piece ended up in the trash and gone before I realized it was still attached. Ooops

Assorted dash pieces and components resting on top of the rear cargo cage the previous owner built...
montero_12.jpg

And my stopping point for the day...
montero_13.jpg

Xrunner

Explorer
Life happened and the June shakedown run just didn't happen. But things have settled down and it's time to pick up the powertools again! :D

Next step involved the cage in the back. Great for paintball gear but not so much for sleeping on...
montero_14.jpg

So I made proper introductions to Mr. Sawzall again...
montero_15.jpg

A few small battles required a trip to Lowes...
montero_16.jpg

But in the end Mr. Sawzall prevailed...
montero_17.jpg

And overall I was surprised at what good condition the floor is in for it's age.
montero_18.jpg

Xrunner

Explorer
Interesting idea...subscribing :sombrero:

mike

Thanks Mike!

I'm slowly building my fab skills and someday hope to tackle a from-scratch build like your Utility Trailer. :Wow1:
It was the original thread that got me hanging around ExPo.

Xrunner

Explorer
Hauled all the junk parks out and gave it a good vac and quick wipedown to get some of the loose grime off.
montero_21.jpg

The front footwells are covered with a rubberish bedliner-type material. Unfortunately over the last 20+ years it had melted to the carpet and insulation in spots and wasn't salvageable.
montero_19.jpg

So out came the putty and heat gun to get the majority of the bedliner off. I'm planning to use Goop Off or similar on the remaining residue when I prep the floor for new paint or bedliner.
montero_22.jpg

The previous owner had welded up this rack for a planned battery system below the tongue cargo storage. It hung a little low for my liking so it I removed it.
montero_23.jpg

Spent the next hours with Mr. Sawzall removing the assorted mount tabs and leftover scrap, and then grinding the remaining stubs down and cleaning up the welds. Still need to do some finish grinder and wire wheel work before paint though.
montero_24.jpg
montero_25.jpg

Last project of my weekend (I work Wednesday to Sunday) was to remove the gas tank...
montero_26.jpg

While I was underneath I also spent some time unbolting extra mounting brackets that held all the thingamajigs and whatchmacallits :D, along with the fuel and brake lines.
montero_27.jpg

Swept out the garage, wheeled the Montero back into it's corner, and decided to call it a day. :)

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
That is a great build! This is going to be a cool blog to follow.
I would refab the tongue work and make it cleaner, some diamond plate on the front cowl,
and a tongue box and it would look great.

Sell all the extra parts on craigslist or ebay and make some money back.
change the axle to a matching one for your tow vehicle and lose some weight.

The best thing I see, is if you get HOT you can roll down the windows.

Keep the pictures posted.
Mark Harley

Xrunner

Explorer
Well it was a bittersweet day as I sold the Montero trailer (before it was finished) to a nice young couple who wanted a budget offroad trailer build. They intend to finish the design and buildout this year and put it to good use.

On a plus side, this followed me home not too long after...

trailer.jpg

:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan