XTerra questions

riverfever

Adventurer
My wife and I are looking to get rid of our 2001 Jeep Cherokee and get an XTerra. She had a 2WD first generation one when we first started dating and really liked it. I really don't know much about them and am having a hard time finding any good resources out there. We're looking at 2008ish models. I like the Off Road package but I honestly have not been able to find anything that tells me what the difference is between that and the model below it other than the rear locker, Bilstein shocks, and off road lights (Nissans website is informative for the current model year). I had one guy tell me that if I was planning on driving it in snow or even on a very mild trail that I wouldn't be happy with anything but the Off Road model but I don't buy that. This will get used for camping, taking drives on fire roads to look for wildlife, and maybe some very mild trails but nothing more than that. I don't plan on doing much to it other than installing some good A/T tires and additional lighting and fly rod storage. Can anyone help me out please?

scrubber3

Not really here
The rear locker will get you out of some tough spots. You'd be surprised to see what an open diff 4wd vehicle will get stuck on. IMHO it's worth getting the offroad model just for that.

riverfever

Adventurer
Oh I know a locker is nice but even my 96 Jeep Cherokee with 33's and 5" lift didn't ever get stuck. We just don't do that type of trail.

Blain

Adventurer
X2^!

The Off Road model would be nice, just for that added insurance (the locker) I have plenty of fun, and take mine plenty of places with out one. I put it through it's paces, but don't get too hard core with the rocks. For what you described it being use for you'd be fine with out the Off Road model. Upgraded tires, will get you plenty of places!

jarmentrout

Observer
Hi. I had a 97 Cherokee before I bought my xterra. The jeep was a great truck. I miss the 242 manual tcase. But the xterra is nicer. Smoother ride, more power, same or better mileage, more room etc. It has some great electronic traction control too so if fire roads and exploring are what you do then the S or SE will be fine. I have an 06 OR and use the locker some but usually I find it probably wasn't necessary. When I don't use it the low range, throttle mapping and traction control do an amazing job. Save the $ on the OR model if you don't think you will need it and get a great set of tires instead.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
I've got an 07 OR. Couple of differences between this and stock that make it worth considering:

1 - the rear locker. Honestly, it's helped me through some tough situations where others go stuck.
2 - M226 vs the C200. It's a slight difference, but the M226, which is in the OR, is slightly stronger and I believe more easily upgraded.
3 - skid plates - Sure, they're just stamped sheetmetal and will bend at the slightest of hits. However, that bending still protects your delicate dangly bits.
4 - Hill descent control or clutch lock start (manuals) - either one can be very, very useful in specific situations.

The OR will be slightly more expensive, but I'd say it's worth it. I've seen better built Xs not make it through obstacles that I was able to struggle through solely due to the locker.

Consider your own personal use, though. As Jarmentrout says, if you're doing nothing but dirt roads you may be able to get an S or SE and have no problems whatsoever, especially with upgraded tires.

B.L. Sims

Observer
My mantra is that -within reason- its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I also like that everything is OEM and designed to work straight from the factory.

In my own life, im solidly out of the "modding" phase having done so for the last 12 years. Im all gave out and id rather just buy what I want. The Pro-4x (OR) package allows me to get pretty much everything I want without having to spend alot of extra time and money on add-ons. Maybe a set of sliders and a GOBI ladder and it will be perfect in my eyes.

The X and old ladder on frame Pathfinders (87-95) are very capable in stock form and stock height for most anything you can throw at it save for doing some pretty advanced stuff. And by advanced, I mean boulder crawling, scaling "the wall" on Poughkeepsie, deep mud, and other scenarios where more "purpose built" vehicles are necessary. Looking back ive never found myself saying "well if only it had "X", id have been able to do more". Thats me. I get more out of the trail scenery than then actual challenge of the course.

Last edited:

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
www.clubxterra.org and www.xterranation.org

Off road / ProX4 is nice.. Rear locker.. 4.0 261Hps Gen 2 has a few issues.. nothing too bad.. Weak front diffs and AT/Radiator issue..

Best thing about the Off Road is used.. many car lots do not know what they have.. :) Buddy picked up a 07 for 14k.. last year.. If you search you can find some deals..

Last edited:

Gpzguy

I have a 2008 SE. It has Electronic Limited Slip traction control, which simply applies the brakes to the wheel that is slipping to transfer more power to the wheel that isn't slipping and therefore has more traction. It works well 95% of the time in very limited traction situations. Sometimes I wish it simply had a real LS differential instead.

As I use my Xterra for hunting/fishing/skiing/windsurfing/kayaking/mountainbiking and yes sometimes just plain old offroading, I have encounted several situations where I wished I had the locking rear differential. So much so that I bought one and installed it myself, along with a Titan front differential, V-8 Pathfinder front CVs, suspension upgrade, armor, yada yada yada...

The Xterra is a great rig. I say go out and find a very good used one that has the best deal and history and all the features you want, but don't worry too much about not having some things like the e-locker, because you can always upgrade it yourself. All it takes is time and money. (That being said, some features like Hill Descent Control or the trip computer on the SE model would be very hard to upgrade to...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior