Xterra Torque Converter Shudder

BigOrca

Hi guys, I'm still relatively new to Nissans coming from Toyotas. I've had my 07 Xterra Off Road for about 9 months now and it has a shudder somewhere in the transmission at very specific speeds. I know about SMOD and I have already replaced my radiator just to be safe. The shudder isn't constant. For example at 40 mph if I lift off the gas for a second or two then get back on it it feels as if the torque converter will shudder about three times then lock up normally. I have looked, but can't find anything anywhere that describes the same feeling. I was just wondering if this has happened to any of y'all or if you have heard about this sensation from others? Or maybe I'm just over thinking it. Either way any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jhberria

Adventurer
What he said. That's going to be your best source for technical knowledge regarding the X.

I'm sure someone else has had the same issue, and it's been assessed by the seasoned experts over there many times over.

docwatson

Adventurer
My 07 pathfinder had the exact same shudder. I am still leaning towards my tranny was contaminated before the previous owner flushed it and swapped the radiator.

If the tranny hasn't been flushed ever, I would start there. For mine, I put some Lubegard Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx. Worked like a charm, but I still have weird stuff at idle and partial throttle but that's for another time.

tarditi

Explorer
It really does sound like a SMOD symptom - even though you replaced your radiator. As stated, flush the trans and radiator, see if that helps.
I got hit by the SMOD on my 2006 X and replaced the radiator, totally rebuilt the trans, and they bypassed the radiator with an external trans cooler just to be safe.
Had it for 2.5 years afterward with 0 problems before I sold it.

xterragoat

I had the same sort of shudder on my 03 xterra when I got it.

After 6 drain and fills with valvoline dex/merc full synthetic, no more shudder.

I don't know what trans you have, but the 1.5 gen's transmission loves the Red bottle.

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
I have had a similar thing happen in my 02 F350 and my CRD Liberty. Both times it turned out to be the Cam Position Sensor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears