Xterra vs Pathfinder

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
So I love both of these Nissans.. but in a head to head battle who would win?
Post up some killer pix and prove your point!

01silvapathy

Observer
I think you need to be a little more specific in what you are asking for. But im going to answer based trying to cover all the bases :coffee:

If you were comparing the Xterra with an older WD pathfinder I think they would be pretty evenly matched. The only major differences would be the suspension setup with the pathy having coils and links as opposed to the X's leafs but the front suspension is pretty much the same. Both have about the same power and aftermarket support in terms of lift kits/sliders/ect. Im pretty sure that the only thing the x would have on the pathy would be gears.

When comparing it to the R50 platform in terms of off road I think that it would also be relatively even. I have wheeled with a lifted x on 33's before and I kept up with him over every obstacle. Sure neither one of us was pushing our limits but I dont really like to push them. The power advantage goes however to the Pathfinder, esp with the VQ im getting 255hp vs the X's 170 which really comes in handy when driving on the highway with larger than stock tires on stock gearing. In terms of gearing I know that the auto pathys came with 4.3's and the standard pathys came with 4.6's. I dont have a clue what gearing the Xterras come with but I have heard its somewhere around 4.9?

The two big disadvantages the R50 has is the lack of a frame and the strut front suspension. The lack of a frame is never really an issue atleast for me. Ya sure I cant do a body lift or any of that, and its also not as rigid as a frame vehicle is but in reality its not like its noticeable. I mean im never in a situation where I find myself sayin "man I wish I had a frame" :smilies27 Going on to the front struts, yeah they are not ideal for wheeling but that does not mean that they dont work. I have never had the front sway bar off, but have heard from people that the front flexes out pretty well once its off. The struts though I feel give it much better road manners and for a daily driver its a great vehicle that I have no problems going to pop a curb and hit some trails with confidence with. The only other disadvantage that I can think of is the lack of aftermarket support. But that is quickly going away. Steevo over at RuggedRocks is really getting ontop of things and putting out more products for the R50 platform such as adjustable links, gears, sliders ect.

Overall I LOVE my Pathy....its what I got as my first vehicle and im making it into what I want it to be and proving that it can go do things that other 4wd's can do. Plus the heated leather and extra power always come in handy :smiley_drive: Im sure I will be put in my place a few posts down though :Wow1:

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Have a buddy with an 06 xterra, I've heard good things about xterras on this section of the forum but was rather unimpressed by the performance of his. Good mileage but lack of power, poor traction control, didn't perform very well on the trails.

Dimensions are similar to that of the disco but I found the disco to have more usable internal room.

Roommate many years ago during college had a pathfinder 01 or 02. Manual. Loved it. Capable and fairly luxurious.
-Sam

01silvapathy

Observer
The R50's dont even come with traction control atleast mine does not have it, It can make things interesting to say the least :elkgrin: But yes 9 times out of 10 on long trips to go places people would rather ride in my pathy vs a lifted jeep or truck cause it rides good and its very comfortable :ylsmoke:

Frankspinz

Adventurer
I have a 2003 Xterra , I offroaded with another truck, a 2001 Pathfinder. I don't think he's lifted in anyway. He has custom skid plates & front + rear (aftermarket) lockers... I was IMPRESSED with what that little truck could do. Albeit, the driver is an experienced offroader....

So next step for me are lockers & skid plates !
b_wink.gif

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Locked vs open diffs isn't a fair battle. Unless you consider a truck with lockers and little else vs an unlocked rover with traction.

-Sam

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
I was looking for pictures...to show some wicked Pathys and Xterras offroading.. Kinda a this is why mine is better look what I can do thing

01silvapathy

Observer
The first year of the xterra did come with a 4 banger as a motor but it was quickly replaced with the 3.3 The 4.0 now makes 260

Strizzo

Explorer
the last of the WD 21 pathys and the 1gen WD 22 xterras are virtually identical underneath.

the current xterras do pretty well offroad, especially the offroad models with the rear locker. when i installed the AAL and front spacer lift i pulled the rear swaybar and have not lifted a rear tire to the point where the locker was required beyond what the e-lsd could handle. with the stock suspension and stock rear sway, the truck would lift its leg all over the trail, which made the locker needed

trump

Adventurist
Lack of power from the 4.0 V6???

x2

Couldn't believe I was reading that. If for nothing else, I enjoy my wife's X for it's power. I can chirp 32" tires going to 3rd with the VDC off in ours. No mods at all with the exception of 265/75/16's. :smiley_drive:

For the sake of helping the OP here's a picture of said Xterra. Not the greatest, and I had to lighten up the shot so you could see underneath. FWIW on that mound it felt like I might have had a couple more inches of droop left.

CIMG1372-1.jpg

All-in-all, I was pretty pleased with how it performed on my last trip in stock form.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
You do have more droop. I'd have to find all the different pics, but I've three (and 2) wheeled mine on more than on occasion.

To the OP, I'm a fan of the X, so my opinion is biased. However, both offer very similar capabilities. Things the Gen2 Xs have going for them:
-full box beam frame
-V6 ~260hp
-OR models have a locking rear diff
-Can get up to 285/75-16 tires on there with only a minor mod
-aftermarket is increasing
-I can lay out flat in the back when camping (5'11" tall).
-4 wheeled hellcat from the planet Kickass

That being said, I second that you should probably be more specific about what you want to do, price range, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle