Yaesu ATAS-120 system

asteffes

Explorer
Anyone using the Yaesu Automatic Tuning Antenna System for mobile HF comms? For those who don't know, the ATAS-120 is an auto-tuning HF antenna that works in conjunction with the various Yaesu mobile HF radios (817,857,897) to automatically tune itself for whatever band you select. The radio sends a signal to the antenna's motor which dials in or out for best SWR match.

For $300, it seems like a great idea and, if it works, a great value. I could have a mobile all-band station for under $1k with the ATAS-120 and FT-857D!

Anyone use this sucker? Does it work? Does it break easily?

jeroen110NL

857d

I am currently using the yaesu 857d and am also looking for some info on the ATAS system. If you use the ATAS dont you need a tuner anymore??
thanks

greetz J

:eatchicke

gary in ohio

Explorer
The atas is an ice little antenna as long as you dont need 80m. With the stock 3ft whip you might get a match on 80m you just dont get much signal radiated. You need to put a 6ft whip on it to get 80m usable signal. Stock its not bad 40-6m with the auto tune capabile radio

asteffes

Explorer
Thank you, Gary. I'm not sure what I'll need as I'm not a General yet. I'm just curious about the whole HF world, and the ATAS-120 and an FT-857D would be a simple, affordable and easy package.

J_L

Observer
I'm also seriously considering this antenna for my FT-857. Looks like a really good solution for yaesu owners. Since the control signals are on the coax, it doesn't need the extra wiring.
Apparently though the 120 has some possible moisture issues. Check out the review section of eHam.net. http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/12 The "A" version has been modified to try and address this.

frgtwn

Adventurer
thanks, asteffes

After an hour searching, and trying to be careful with the drool, I am not finding the under $1000 prices. Seems like about $1200 which is really about $1500 in real HAM dollars, right?

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Dale

asteffes

Explorer
frgtwn said:
After an hour searching, and trying to be careful with the drool, I am not finding the under $1000 prices. Seems like about $1200 which is really about $1500 in real HAM dollars, right?

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Dale

HRO is selling the FT-857D for just under $700. They have the ATAS-120 for $300. Add a little more for tax and shipping, of course. I guess you'll also possibly need a mount for the antenna.

J_L

Observer
frgtwn said:

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Dale

Hams have dollars worth less than the "regular" folk :confused:

HRO http://hamradio.com has the FT-857D with separation kit and the atas-120(A?) for the total price of 979.90 w/free ground ship. Search for the model #'s, their site is kind of hard to navigate. By the time you add the antenna mount and a means to mount the head you probably are a little over $1100.

Last edited:

frgtwn

Adventurer
now I get it.

I have been looking at a different model number, the FT-897D. Thus the higher price.

The HAM dollars reference is that there seems to be a lot of things that are "needed", that are not in the unit price. A buddy of mine went to HRO, which incidently is just a few miles from us, to buy a unit whose price started with a "3". Well, it took him 6 bills to get out of there. YMMV

Thanks for getting me on the right foot.
Dale

gary in ohio

Explorer
J_L said:
Apparently though the 120 has some possible moisture issues. Check out the review section of

Be care full when you see the reviews, There is a ATAS 120 and a ATAS 120A both are often referred to as a 120.

gary in ohio

Explorer
frgtwn said:
Mobile and NEW, $1000 isnt that bad a price.
Icom 706MKGII will run you $900
Icom 7000 is running around $1200
Yeasu 857 will run you about $700
Kenwood doensnt really have a mobile anymore since the ts-50 was dropped.

Keep in mind this is base radio cost, toss in a remote kit, a filter and your up another $200-$300. A single band HF antenna system can go as low as $100 but a multi band fixed freq will cost you $200-$300 when all is said and done. If you go the automatic tuner or screwdriver route with your antenna you down another $400-$500.

You will see articles that people talk about $600 mobiles and that was the case once, 706's Ft100, ts50 were selling in the $600-$700 range for quite a while but the YEN to dollar changed and prices went through the roof. They are starting to drop, the 706 a couple of years ago was $1400

While its not cheap, HF mobile is fun.

asteffes

Explorer
frgtwn said:
I have been looking at a different model number, the FT-897D. Thus the higher price.

The HAM dollars reference is that there seems to be a lot of things that are "needed", that are not in the unit price. A buddy of mine went to HRO, which incidently is just a few miles from us, to buy a unit whose price started with a "3". Well, it took him 6 bills to get out of there. YMMV

Thanks for getting me on the right foot.
Dale

Ooooh, yes, if you're looking at the 897 it's going to run you a bit more. Everything is an option on the 897, I believe: batteries, charger for batteries, power supply, mounting bracket. :yikes: It's a neat radio, but I don't know enough about it and HF in general to know why it's better than an 857. Can you explain?

Last edited:

J_L

Observer
The 897 is more of a portable base model, with the battery and strap on antenna tuner options, kinda like the really big brother to the 817. It has comparable specs to the 857 except for it's size, can't imagine hauling that beast very far in a pack. The 857 is geared toward mobile or small hamshack use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior