Yaesu ft-7900 antenna advice

preacherman

Explorer
I just picked up a ft-7900r for Xmas and now I need a good antenna. I will be mounting the unit in a jeep TJ with a soft top so I am looking foR a dual band antenna that will stand up to wheeling, but can mount somewhere on a jeep.

I was hoping that someone may have a similar type set up. I have only had my ham liscense for a about a year and I still have a lot to learn about antenn set up.

Thanks

Expedition Leader
I will be mounting the unit in a jeep TJ with a soft top so I am looking foR a dual band antenna that will stand up to wheeling, but can mount somewhere on a jeep.

A decent option is mounting the antenna on the rear of the tub. Not sure about TJ's, but there are lots of mounts made for late models that go on a tail light mount or otherwise screw into the tail gate. The problem you may run into there however is a lack of ground plane. The solution to this is to use a 1/2-wave antenna, which does not need a good ground plane. The problem is, a lot of dual-band antennas are 1/4-wave on 2M and 1/2-wave on 70cm, but if you look you can find some that are 1/2-wave on 2m and two co-linear 5/8-wave on 70cm. Dual-band antennas are always a compromise. I'd be surprised if there is much 70cm action going on in west Texas, so if I were you I would run either a single-band 2M 1/2-wave or the previously-mentioned 1/2-wave on 2m and two co-linear 5/8-wave on 70cm dual-band.

I'm running a Larsen NMO 150B HW 1/2-wave on the back of my FJ40 and it works well, and is flexible enough to not be a problem in trees and etc.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/larsenm.html

brussum

Adventurer
You may want to consider posting the same question to the forum on QRZ.com. You'll get a few more opinions regarding antenna selection.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
I tried a fender mounted Larsen NMO 2/70 (the Larsen 2/70 is one of the best dual band antennas available) on the Power Wagon and had poor results. Relocating the same antenna to the center of the roof with a great ground plane is like night and day - great range and clarity.

A dual band antenna is a compromise to start with, so getting a good ground plane is critical. Perhaps your best bet would be a mag mount in the center of the hood, or a permanent NMO type mount in the hood. That will solve a couple problems - good ground plane, and protection for overhead trees and brush from the sides.

Another option is to mount a 18 x 18 steel plate behind the rear seat of the Jeep and mount the antenna to that. A soft top complicates that, but it will give you a decent ground plane.

4x4mike

Adventurer
Congrats on your license and your new radio. I have a 2800 which is only a 2m radio. I got it because I only use 2m and it's a beefy radio with no external fan which is a plus for dusty conditions. As a result I only have 2m antennas but they are all NMO style mount which makes them easy to remove and swap. If you don't need or want the antenna on you unscrew it and all you have is a connection about the size of a quarter.

If you have a rear swing tire mount I'd mount a bracket with an NMO mount on it. It's high and will give you a ground plane. I've seen plenty of front fender mounted antennas but again you'll get decreased performance. I had the same 2/70 antenna Crawler#976 but got rid of it. For one it's a dual band which I don't need (I already had a 1/4, 2m antenna) but it was also really flexy. So much that it wacked everything in my roof basket, or other antennas or my bike in the Yakima rack. It's a good antenna but again it didn't fit my needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears