Yaesu FTM-400DR Dual bander is out

gary in ohio

Explorer
A bit pricy for a dual band radio... yea its got the yaesu,(let confuse the digial marketplace) C4FM/FDMA and a color screen, but for most its just a dual bander... and approaching 7 big bills.

uli2000

Adventurer
There's at least one guy on QRZ that's been unhappy with it. I just don't see the need for another propriatary digital modulation. Heck, we already have LMR/MotoTrbo and P25, and D-Star, love it or hate it, has quite a following already with plenty of infastructure in place.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I thought it was expensive too initially. It's going for about $675 most places, so it's about $75 cheaper than the FTM-350AR + FGPS-1 module was (the FTM-400 has GPS built-in, not an optional module). It's also comparable to a TM-D710 + Green Light Labs GPS-710 GPS module. So it's expensive compared to a FT-8800 or something but within the market price for a dual band V/UHF with a full APRS suite of features.

The group monitor and real time position updating is of particular interest to off highway hams. Each time you transmit on phone (not sure if it's just digital or analog, too) your GPS data is piggybacked, so your position is updated on every other Yaesu digital radio in the area. It's tactical APRS at the next level.

I think Yaesu is offering a C4FM option, which is similar to the fundamental P25 protocol but with no encryption. The FCC does not allow amateurs to use encryption and there's some question how long we can push the limits. At some point we're going to have to figure out a digital modulation that everyone will use. D-STAR hasn't been it and honestly it does lack technically behind Yaesu's and the other modulations. It also suffer from proprietary I.P., too. I would be somewhat sorry to see Yaesu and Kenwood adopt D-STAR when there are better digital choices.

Maybe someone should get to work on pushing unencrypted P25, I'm sure the FTM-400 could support it with a firmware update, since at a hardware level it's similar to what Yaesu developed. Ultimately I think it's a chicken-and-egg problem. Unencrypted P25 makes the most sense or MotoTrbo, but most of the radios that support it are Motorola and are expensive and kind of a PITA to program.

I dunno.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Doing a bit more research, Yaesu supplies a USB cable with the radio and it interfaces out of the box with a PC and mapping programs. I'm wanting one more and more now.

The manuals are posted on http://www.yaesu.com now, too.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Never, not once, have I thought, Man, if only I could take a photo with my microphone. But now that I see this, I kinda want too.....

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I was thinking more in terms of pointing it out the window and saying, "do you see that landmark? We are stuck/broken down/camping right at the base of it."

Or, "doc, here is a picture of the injury, The victim is conscious but unresponsive."

Finlay

Triarius
I'd really like to replace my 857d with that, but I love, love, love using the Bluecat and RepeaterBook while traveling.

Pictures with a microphone ? Meh. Using GPS to identify nearby repeaters and program the radio to use them ? That's living in the future.

DaveInDenver

It comes down to whether or not the Yaesu digital mode is worth the premium. It's a marginal improvement over D-STAR technically but without the several year jump in implementation. I'm not convinced it's worth it, but who knows if the market will embrace another non-standard standard. My $0.02 is that we amateurs should push for FreeDV & Codec2 going forward. D-STAR and Yaesu both use proprietary vocoders, which has been a sticking point with amateurs who aren't willing to pay $40 just to get the chip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998