Yamaha TW200? Looking for feedback

Greetings everyone. New to the MOTO scene, long time 4 wheeled adventurer (and owner of ROKO Vehicles LLC in Framingham MA, a 4x4 shop).

Anyhow, starting down the MOTO rabbit hole, and was considering a TW200 - primarily to carry around on the back of one of our Tacomas. This would be used as supplemental travel in / around New England - exploring the unmaintained roads, and hitting some mild trails. Would potentially do some overnights here or there. I'm also a bike-packer so I have a bunch of super light weight camping gear that could be strapped to the TW200.

Just looking for some feedback on this quirky little bike from a trusted community!

Thank you in advance,

Jon

jkam

nomadic man
I like a bike with bigger wheels so you can at least get up to highway speeds.
Maybe have a look at the XT 250.
Nothing wrong with the TW, just not as all around as I'd like in a small bike.

And, since I will always plug my Super Sherpa as the best little all around out there, have a gander at that one as well. Hard to find, but once you have one, you will have it forever.

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
The T-Dub is certainly niche bike. I will NEVER part with mine. One of 5 bikes in my shop. Never has disappointed me when used as it was intended.
•stay off the interstates
• stay away from those who need to compare or disparage the TW. They will never get it.
• it’s a “farm” bike. Like a great quarter horse it isn’t trying to run a Derby or be anything other than what it’s maker intended.
•watch this video

Good luck in your search.

plumber mike

Adventurer
TW200 is solid with a good aftermarket.
It has its limitations though. I am happy with my WR250R for a good all around…er that is easy to toss on a hitch rack. Honda 250 seemed heavier to me. Austrian bikes rev my heart, but my practical side never allowed for them.
I’d be happy on an XT225,XT250, super Sherpa, KLR250/300 etc.
If small is the thing, you might also check out a Honda trail 125
Happy riding!

BikePilot

For plunking around slowly they are fine and reliable. They aren't fast, don't handle well, and don't have much in the way of suspension. I don't personally see the attraction, but some folks like them. For a light bike that can boogie or plunk, I'd go with an Austrian 350 as the easy and obvious choice. My main dirt ride is a heavily modified 300, and my dual sporter is a XR650R.

Kingsize24

For what you are describing, a TW would likely fit the bill well. I have a TW200, XR650L, and a Husqvarna 701 long range. For heavy dual sport rides, I would definitely pick one of the bigger bikes. But to haul around, scoot around town, drudge through heavy ruts, slow offroad rides, and just general fun, the TW is HARD to beat.

20221102_130531.jpg

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
For plunking around slowly they are fine and reliable. They aren't fast, don't handle well, and don't have much in the way of suspension. I don't personally see the attraction, but some folks like them. For a light bike that can boogie or plunk, I'd go with an Austrian 350 as the easy and obvious choice. My main dirt ride is a heavily modified 300, and my dual sporter is a XR650R.
Yeah, speed isn’t their intended use. For myself I will jump on my Ducati or GW for that kind of exhilaration. Neither of those will work on a bike carrier on the back of my van however and not everywhere we go do we want to haul the bike trailer.
Again, trying to use a fork as a spoon leaves a lot of soup in the bowl. Let’s acknowledge the OPs questions and allow that usage to determine the adequacy of any bike.

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
What is the perceived advantage of the unusual tire/wheel size? How does the performance/weight/utility compare to say a ttr225?
“… don't handle well…”.
My 50+ years of riding have suggested to me any bike’s handling is directly proportional to who’s doing the handling.

As to wheel size/performance, etc. this bike IS a farm bike in its truest definition. It is not an MX-type of cycle seeking speed over dirt or asphalt. The tires are intended to claw their way around. Think slow, casual, and smelling the roses, not fast and seeking a checkered flag. Although I never got to remove the “A” I do know a thing or two about speed.
IMG_6856_Original.jpeg
As to as an advantage that would be determined by personal use. Experience suggests to me that every bike is a compromise. So what is it that the use is intended to satisfy? Ego? Accolades from your friends as to the wise choice you made, Looks good for a YT channel? I dunno. As a camp bike and casual explorer this bike meets my criteria. Comfy seat (not OEM), decent mileage and reliability, and a simplicity that doesn’t require special tools or a CPU connection for field service. Pick your poison I guess.

Last edited:

deserteagle56

Adventurer
If you ride a lot of beaches...or desert with soft sand...can't beat the TW. Those fat tires help a lot.

Got a couple friends that ride those and swear by them. I ride an XT225 myself...but I stay away from sand.
XT225 Hite Crossing  er 2011.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior