YES/NO on this one???

Quest4ADV

Adventurer
I probably won't be picking this up so I don't mind posting the link, but does this "sound" like a good start for someone?

Would love to build up a Discovery one day soon

00B0B_bq1fztUmD0L_600x450.jpg

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/4709198655.html

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
Nah...you can get a running '02 for just a few grand more. And if you're going to build up a Disco, may as well start with an '04. I got mine for $6k and sold it after adding toys for $9k - both on the high end of '04 D2 pricing. Save some money and buy an '04 with as close to 100k (or less!) as possible.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I agree if you are disco2 shopping go with an '03 or '04 and if it hasn't had the head gaskets already done factor the job into the price.

Just the thought of what that beach salty disco is like underneath gives me a nervous tic.

Exploder
The '03-04 trucks will almost certainly need an engine at some point due to slipped liners. And to the original question, no. That's a $750 truck, tops.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Depends.

I'd go for it on these conditions:

1. The overall truck and interior is in good shape. He drives it on the beach so hopefully the bottom isn't rusted. If its rusted, then no.
2. As others have said, get him down into 3 digits on the price.
3. Do the head gasket and water pump myself. Actually doing the pump while the heads are off is easy. Since its got the 4.0, it doesn't have air injection and pulling and re-installing the heads is a lot easier (I always had trouble with the air injection system).

So yeah. That is the only way I'd go for that truck. Tragic since it actually looks decent.

Quest4ADV

Adventurer
Thanks for the advise guys. I was thinking of offering $800 and see what he says. I know it's just one pic but it looks clean!

LR Max

Local Oaf
Go look at it. Crawl around underneath it. Do everything.

Remember photoshop can make anyones dating profile look amazing.

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
It also says it has a salvage title. I don't think a blown head gasket gets you a salvaged title. Check accident and/or katrina/flood history.

Exploder
Salvage title? That is an unequivocal no. D2s are thick on the ground. Finding a good one for a little more money won't take long.

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
Last comment I will make about this truck.

Get the whole truck for the price of the tranny! Don't bother low balling, if it doesn't go quick I'll part it out.

Does he really think he can sell a 12 year old LR transmission with 150,000 for $1,250?

A salvaged D2 with 150k and a blown head/pump is really only worth what the body and tires could recoup. The rest of the parts are inconsequential.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Unless you have another D2 and this is your parts truck.

Yeah, with a salvage title I'd only pay about $200 for it. Then immediately take it to the scrappers and get $500 for it. Quick $300.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78