Yet another 3rd Gen Montero "Build", also story time!

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
is there any hope in converting that nonsense over to a traditional booster? This is about the 10th time I've heard about this in the last year...

coffeegoat

Adventurer
IncorpoRatedX - is that something people do? I've never heard of that kind of modification, and I'm not clear on why they went to a pump driven system anyways?

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
I was just tossing it out there, gen 1 and 2 is a vac boosted brake system like theyve done since the 70's, i've never had one fail. though they do fail, rarely.

eyehate

Hmmmm Maybe i'll look into the conversion, but I think the ECU would freak out as there are 4 separate plugs that plug in :(

zerodrift

Adventurer
Not something that can be converted. It holds the abs system as well as the vacuum booster. The system was made to allow consistent let foot braking while off road. No loss of vacuum will ever occur provided the system functions correctly.

eyehate

20180723_100132.jpg
Loud solid beeping, Anti lock, traction control, traction control off and brake dummy lights are all up in my grill... time to get rid of them.

Ok I got time to do this. Took about 4 hours start to finish. Not a fun job, but most of the time is bleeding the complicated system. The biggest pain points of the ebb system for were removing the accumulator and bleeding. Getting it out was easy, disconnect 5 connectors and 4 brake lines, 4 nuts on the inside passenger footwell, and the pin on the brake pedal itself.

Once out:
20180722_202819.jpg

The motor itself was easy 2 Allen head bolts and the wires (Phillip's screwdriver). Here is my old one...
20180722_203622.jpg
20180722_203630.jpg
20180722_203637.jpg
Horrible shape lol.

Removing the accumulator. I used an oil filter wrench like this:
20180722_204441.jpg
20180722_204457.jpg

Just let it clamp down and off it came.

I gravity bled all the calipers in the correct order to flush the old brown brake fluid out. This took a while. Once the fluid was clear, I did the manual process from the book. Strange but worked great.

1. Bleed passenger front
2. Bleed driver front
3. Key on, let pump run for 30 seconds
4. Slowly press brake pedal a few times (bubbles should come up in reservoir)
5. Press brake pedal 40 or so times to empty accumulator
6. Key on press brake pedal 20 or so times.
7. Repeat 3-6 if the pump doesn't turn off in 30 seconds (my brake dummy light and that god awful beeping went away on the 2nd time)
8. Re bleed front brakes with key off
9. Bleed rear brakes key on. You don't need to pump the pedal, the pump does all the work for you.
10. Head to some dirt to hit brakes hard and activate the abs a few times (abs and tc off lights went out at this step)
11. Drive around slowly making sure the brakes work ok. After about 5 minutes I was able to toggle the TC switch and the light went off!

Hot damn.

Attachments

• 20180722_203622.jpg
    20180722_203622.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 20180722_203633.jpg
    20180722_203633.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 22

eyehate

And continuing the never ending story, I have developed the "montero grind to clunk when stopping" symptoms. Seems to be related to vacuum and or some solenoids. I got 2 of these from Amazon (1 to have in the glove box) and it was still 50 bucks cheaper than the dealer quote of 100. Hopefully this will be the last of these for a while.

LOOYUAN Mb937731 Freewheel Clutch Control Solenoid Valve For Mitsubishi Pajero L200 L300

Screenshot_20180723-101253_Amazon.jpg

offthepath

Adventurer
Thanks for the write up on the brakes. Was there any signs it was going out? I am considering doing this as preventative maintainance but hate to waste money if it's not needed. Mines an 03 with 125k.

eyehate

Thanks for the write up on the brakes. Was there any signs it was going out? I am considering doing this as preventative maintainance but hate to waste money if it's not needed. Mines an 03 with 125k.

No signs, and if my wife would have been driving and the brakes would have lost power like they did, she probably would have wrecked into someone. This is one of those ones you should probably do!

eyehate

No signs, and if my wife would have been driving and the brakes would have lost power like they did, she probably would have wrecked into someone. This is one of those ones you should probably do!
Oh ya, 03 with now 132k when it went out o_O

SONICMASD

Adventurer
I should not have said anything, my ABS light just lite up this morning....

Eyehate - quick question on that brake accumulator, do you know what the difference is between the cylindrical unit and the globe style? I'm finding tons of units that look like this: https://www.amazon.com/GENUINE-MITSUBISHI-HYDRAULIC-ACCUMULATOR-4630A011/dp/B008CPLZ3Q

I want to get parts ordered today to get it back in business...

Black ball is for 01-02 (without traction control), Tall Silver Cylinder is for 03-06 with traction control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears