Yet another hi-lift question

vanguard

Adventurer
I did my searching on other forums as well as this one and I've checked out the new hi-lift extreme. ( http://www.expeditionexchange.com/sema2005/indexmain.shtml )

I called around on the hi-lift extreme and while it does look improved it's $125 shipped to my house. It does the job of a hi-lift+jackmate but I can get the original jackmate and all cast hi-lift and jackmate for ~$106 delivered. Then I think I want the off-road kit so I can use it for self recovery which is about $155 and that's pretty close their their $190 combo kit. Now I'm spending a lot and I'd rather not.

I've taken this roller coaster all the way from the $40 local deal with just a jack to about $190 with all the fixings. I'd rather only buy this thing once so if I need to spend the money and have it over with I'll do it but I thought I'd tap into the forum for advice.

Also, the 48" fits nicely in the toolbox but isn't as good for manual winching. Given that I typically wheel with friends I shouldn't be winching much so I think I know the answer there. However, I thought I'd tap into the forum on that too. Finally, I looked at the black rat manual winch + ARB X-Jack but the price on that combo turned me off.

Which hi-lift? Which accessories? How long? Rational?

91xlt

Adventurer
i use 2-48" models with straps, shackles and chains. i have the hi lift accessory pack also, a good starting kit. as far as the extreme version, i have not seen or used it yet, but why fix something that aint broke? the cast model has been working for MANY people and rigs for years. thats not to say it can't be improved i guess, but if you are only using here and there, spend $$$ on something else. the 48 will not let you down. i know alot of people may say go with the 60, but if a 48 will lift your rig you will be OK. like i said i preffer 2-48's and this combo with some accessories and thinking will get you out of ANYTHING! here is something you may enjoy reading..http://www.4x4now.com/bb0997.htm good luck with your decission.
jeff

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Vanguard, aside from the jive Jackmate attachment the only difference I could see in the Hi-Lift Extreme was a twee paint job and the nicer base pin (which the Jackmate comes with).

Personally, I prefer the way the Jackmate slides over the Hi-Lift's post and secures quickly with a pin, rather than bolting to the side.

A 48" Hi-Lift works just as well as the 60" model for winching; it just won't winch as far before repositioning (or lift as high for casting). I haven't found it to be a handicap, but I have found it easier to keep the 48-inch post away from the vehicle's bodywork when jacking. So there are advantages to both lengths, I think.

60seriesguy

Adventurer
I have a 60" and a 48" and use them alternatively, but I agree that a 48" can pretty much do all of the function and it's a lot less unwieldy than the 60". If you combine the 48" with a comprehensive kit, you should be OK, I use a short section of chain with hooks on both ends to secure the springs to the frame when I'm using the jack, preventing them from arching on me (my truck is SOA and relatively tall). I also got one of those jackrabbit accessories that allows the hi-lift to secure to round tubing like on my sidebars and rear quarter protection. Best $20 I ever spent on recovery!

blaze one

Adventurer
Sorry but i have a newbie question to interfier with here .
How much leverage do you have to put on the jack when using in a winching situation ? like this one:http://www.4x4now.com/bbusk.jpg

It seems to me like you couldn't pull out a 5000lb truck outa mud with just the highlift . But obviously i am wrong . :rolleyes:

60seriesguy

Adventurer
If it helps, I pulled a 6,000 lb. truck up the ramps of a trailer, which was parked on a slight incline. Took a couple of hours of hard work, but we got it done (see picture)

Attachments

• loading the ********** up (Small).jpg
    loading the ********** up (Small).jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 91

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I don't know about deep mud, but a Hi-Lift winch exerts a pretty powerful pull. The only time I used one as such was to pull off a full-size Bronco that was high-centered. The jack dragged it the couple of feet necessary with no trouble.

The Jackmate makes employing the jack as a winch much easier, and it's also much faster to reposition the chain.

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
mcvickoffroad said:
Speaking of chain --

How many of you cary a tow chain?

I carry a 20' length of 5/16" with grab hooks at both ends. This does not replace my tow strap & I would never consider using it for towing.

Al

Last edited:

Westy

Adventurer
Chain is always good to have for hi lift winching or securing axles to the frame, but not as a tow tool. Straps are much better, safer and easier to work with. Not to mention, chain is heavy whereas straps are light and easy to carry in the rig.

blaze one

Adventurer
I gather regular chain is not strong enough , so how do i know which chain to buy ? there must be a rating system . Grade a b c.... 123... ?

IggyB

Adventurer
The chain should be at least Grade 70. I carry 3/8" grade 70 and it's good to a working load of 6600lb and breaking strength 3 or 4 times that.

I've seen chain deform and break. If there are no grade markings on the links I won't use it or be anywhere close to it. And never yank on the chain. Pull with a winch - yes, but never at the end of a tow strap:D

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
mcvickoffroad said:
So why carry chain? Other than to use with the Hi-Lift for winching.

It's just a carryover from my work as a rigger/millwright.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Out here in the sticks we see lots of broken down vehicles being pulled with an assortment of improbable setups. We suspect the local grade school starts their kids off early with a class called "Towing with common household materials."

We see it all: rope, cables, knotted bedsheets . . .

I once saw a truck being towed with a WalMart come-along, with the handle duct-taped down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger