Yet another tire questions... but this one for rain on cement...maybe some snow

fifty

Adventurer
My wife's '15 GMC Denali Yukon XL has the tire option that had the most meat. The 265/55/20 continental eco whatever's....
Great on the mileage, mediocre at everything else.

The roads around here suck and traditionally get pothole worse every rainy season. We also take occasional trips over the hill into Reno.

Thinking of getting a set of 18x9 methods (initially thought about 17's...I go back and forth)...

I can't quite decide on tires. Clearly this truck is a road queen with the occasional fire road. But really the only thing that would need a lugged tire would be if I for some reason forgot my chains in the snow... so rain, maybe a little ice... dry pavement...

I've had KO's before on previous trucks and disliked them. Terible in the rain, friggtening driving back down the hill from Reno.
Any ideas?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
For road traction in the widest range of conditions Michelin pretty much owns it regarding comfort vs traction. Come at $ and some what marginal mileage life. Go harder compound rubber for more miles you pay with lackluster snow and cold temp ride and traction.

Given your Reno I agree Michelin is tops. Im in the Bay Area so rare snow use in our case I like the BFG highway tires. Slightly harder rubber better life /mileage but kinda crappy Tahoe snow performance. If I were in Reno Id go Michelin too.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I had a set of Bridgestones that were horrible in wet. I called them Brickstones because they had about as much traction as bricks.

fifty

Adventurer
For road traction in the widest range of conditions Michelin pretty much owns it regarding comfort vs traction. Come at $ and some what marginal mileage life. Go harder compound rubber for more miles you pay with lackluster snow and cold temp ride and traction.

Given your Reno I agree Michelin is tops. Im in the Bay Area so rare snow use in our case I like the BFG highway tires. Slightly harder rubber better life /mileage but kinda crappy Tahoe snow performance. If I were in Reno Id go Michelin too.

I'm actually down in Concord, but have family up in Reno...so make occasional trips.

Being as you are from down here, you know what kind of potholes I'm talking about come rain time. We all thought it was bad and then the DOT named Concord as having the worst streets in the country!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'm actually down in Concord, but have family up in Reno...so make occasional trips.

Being as you are from down here, you know what kind of potholes I'm talking about come rain time. We all thought it was bad and then the DOT named Concord as having the worst streets in the country!

Lamorinda. Love the bfg Advanced touring I put on the Subaru. 50,000 miles of heavy abuse, kinda marginal in tahoe but built really tough. Getting another set next few weeks at WC discount tire. I need to have them order up a set. Wet local brutal roads and martinez dump runs they held up great. Good performance on the wet. Handled dirt and rocky stuff camping trips with no sidewall rash or chunking. Zero mileage hit, holds balance better than a few other tires I've run. Yup getting another set on the Subaru. The Sequoia is on BFG rugged Terrains. Ok tire good for that heavy beast its tough on tires. Subaru is our Tahoe rig. I havent taken our trucks to the snow since I bought my first Subaru in 01.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears