Yet another tire thread: your viewpoints welcomed!

Jason911

Adventurer
Trigger pulled. All said and done it was going to a set of Nokian Rotiiva's ....... but a offer from a exceptionally large BFGoodrich wharehouse fouand me in a quandary, and ultimately in a new set of KO2 All-Terrains. I was decidedly against a set of LT "E" rated tires - I was stuck on the misconception of a degraded ride quality while traveling via interstate, increase of noise coupled with a loss in fuel economy. I had previous experience on a few vehicles with the first generation of ATs, and knew of the well earned reputation. The new tires had promises of increased tread life and increased wet/snow traction - two things I was interested in. What I disliked was the loss of the rim protector - both the previous generation of ATs and the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor that I was running had them - but both tires were discontinued from the manufacturer. A set of of tires from Finalnd really seemed to be the solution. Monetary units of measure in hand, a install date was to be placed - but during the conversation, it was let known that the warehouse had 50 tires in stock - on hand, no delay. Numbers were given and it was one of those oppurtutnities not worth missing + a marching spare of equal size would fit inside, also with an abundance on hand.

The result: LT275/65R18 BFG AT KO2(32")
PSI: 38 (still playing with this)

The spare: LT255/70R18 BFG AT KO2 (technically also a 32" tire)
PSI: 48

No rub, not a tremdously measurable decrease in fuel economy - currently a 0.9 mpg loss - and a definite increase in ride quality. Gone was the preponderance of the vehicle having a tendency to wobble while driving over the pot-holed and frost heave riddled roads of the upper Midwest. Tracking while in a cross wind was also greatly enhanced - no wondering. A trek north this weekend into next week will also offer a better chance to expand on my viewpoint, and as such a follow-up report will be in order.

Jason911

Adventurer
Sweet! I'm anxious to know how the KO2's compare.

So far - just 90 miles of interstate operation. Speedo is off .5mph up to 45mph, reads slow. Speedo reads slower at cruise by 2mph difference (speedo shows 70mph, Jeep is actually going 72 according to 2 different handheld GPS units).

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
Just saw this today, and I'm also in the market for a new set of tires for my truck, so thanks for the discussion.

FYI: I went to the local Discount Tire store last week for an estimate. The salesman told me that the BFG ATs will be on sale in November, I think he said $50 off a set of four. He was surprised, since they rarely are marked down at all.

The El Nino rains are coming, plus after some light fishtailing on a steep dirt Road on Palomar Mountain today, I'm thinking it's time to get a new set.

Jason911

Adventurer
I was out and about lost on some national forest "roads" within the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest. Tire performed exceptionally well, the side biters or whatever they are called really offer a unique ability to crawl back up out of the ruts after the tire drops in. Pics and reports when I find access to better internet.

TRALHAWK

Hi Jason 911, I am thinking of purchasing the same tyres, how have they been going for you? Interested to know how they are wearing, is there any rubbing off road and what tyre pressures you are running.

Cheers.

Jason911

Adventurer
Hi Jason 911, I am thinking of purchasing the same tyres, how have they been going for you? Interested to know how they are wearing, is there any rubbing off road and what tyre pressures you are running.

Cheers.

Happy to help - here's what I've found: roughly 5500 miles on them since purchase, almost exactly 2 months of ownership. On road handling has actually improved, the vehicle has less wiggle and wobble coming out of corners to which I attribute to stiffer sidewalls. Wet weather road traction is beyond belief after experiencing a rain/snowy fall here in WI. Hydroplaning is nonexistent - I don't even think about it anymore. Tire wear is nigh at best, and I will measure each tire when I rotate them at the end of the month. Lock to lock, the tires have yet to rub in the front(they are VERY close, but even under a rough trail bump compression there has yet to be anything). The rears however, rubbed on the fender well liners. Or I should say rubbed after I hooked up 4052b trailer until the Nivomat shocks could do their thing. After just one cycle of the suspension over a bump-stop - no more rub. Tire pressures I am still playing with a little: manufacture specs for the Jeep call for 33psi front and rear, 44psi seems to net the best fuel economy but a decrease in ride quality ensues + it makes the rear end a little squirrelly going through the roundabouts. Right now I've got 37 psi in the front tires and 35 psi in the rears, which seems to offer the best compromises. I'm still going to play a little bit more with pressures, as well as put some 100% pure nitrogen in them to help negate the forth coming wild winter temperature swings that seem to be the new norm here in Wisconsin. I hope this helps in some small way.

Jason

TRALHAWK

Thanks very much Jason 911, very informative post and much appreciated information as there is not much information here yet for these tyres on the WK2 here in Australia. All the best with your explorations.

Jason911

Adventurer
Thanks very much Jason 911, very informative post and much appreciated information as there is not much information here yet for these tyres on the WK2 here in Australia. All the best with your explorations.

Glad I can help - its great to share information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12