"Yeti" 2000 Tacoma ext. cab 3.4L 5 spd utility shell camper

tstege

Observer
So i started a thread last year with my 2wd Tacoma build and go figure I decided I wanted a V6 and 4x4. Needless to say I sold the old rig and upgraded to the new one for a couple grand more and it came with lockers and a bull bar. Pretty happy with the purchase. All I had to do was swap my camper shell and dual battery to my new rig and I am back in business.

New rig:

2000 Tacoma TRD 4x4 3.4L 5 spd manual windows and locks (just what I wanted)

Factory rear locker, Detroit up front w/ cable actuated 4x4

I added 16" black TRD wheels and 255/65/R16 Falken AT's

Rhino lined the bed, bed rails, and bumper step.

Six-Pac utility camper shell custom built and Yakima roof rack. I found it on CL added side windows, fantastic fan, lights, insulation, and used shower board for the inside to make it nice and easy to take care of. I also added a sleeping platform, yellow optima under platform, and inverter. I use a Mr. Heater Buddy for winter camping up in the Sierra's keeps us warm and comfortable. Added some curtains and some coat hooks on the inside for hanging random things as well.

So far I love it getting 20MPG's

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    522.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0644.jpg
    IMG_0644.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0646.jpg
    IMG_0646.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0618.jpg
    IMG_0618.jpg
    531 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0619.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0643.jpg
    IMG_0643.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0739.jpg
    IMG_0739.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0738.jpg
    IMG_0738.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

tstege

Observer
IMG_0740.jpgIMG_0727.jpgIMG_0741.jpgIMG_0736.jpg

TRD wheels, new black $30 grill, heater in new hanging spot (for sleeping), and just finishing up installing the last of the shower board to cover the insulation (its a fiberglass/plastic type board).

tstege

Observer
K&N

Is that a concern? I had heard of people either liking them or hating them and it came with my truck. What is the issue with them exactly? Thanks for the input, Tyler

p nut

butter
Fouling up the MAF is partly due to user error, as over-oiling the filter can cause the MAF to malfuction. But it's hard to determine exactly how much oil is needed in order to keep that from happening, so in that sense, it is not that user-friendly.

Secondly, when I had a K&N on, the silicone levels in my oil spiked way high. After the switch back to stock paper filters, it went back down to normal. The analyst told me the reason for the silicone is usually dirt getting through. Makes sense, since K&N claims something like 20% better flow. Well, that means 20% more dirt and crap getting in there as well.

I would either go back to stock or get a snorkel.

tstege

Observer
Thanks for the info. I was wondering about that I guess I will look into getting someones stock setup if they still have it. Are there any after market ones that work since I do not have a stock one? Seems silly to buy new stock stuff from the dealer. Thanks Tyler

p nut

butter
I would think that you could find a stock unit for pretty cheap, especially being in LA. Either the junk yard or local classifieds. If no success, try the classifieds here or at TTORA.com.

tstege

Observer
I love that commercial topper you have!! Awesome rig

Thanks, it took awhile to find the right one for the right price. It is totally worth it though, really light weight and tons of head room. Also for some reason I really like the back doors over a tailgate, and the side doors rule. Tyler

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Just curious on your tire size selection? 255 65 R16 ? Isn't that nearly 2 inches smaller than stock?

tstege

Observer
Just curious on your tire size selection? 255 65 R16 ? Isn't that nearly 2 inches smaller than stock?

Think it is the next size down from 31x10.5 not totally sure though. Somebody else might be able to help out I believe it is only a tad smaller though and since my rig is not lifted I did not see fit to add bigger than stock tires. Tyler

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears