Yeti 70 qt cooler

MOAK

Adventurer
We are considering purchasing the Yeti Tundra 70 or 75 quart chest cooler. a Coleman extreme has served us well, but trips for more ice every four days gets to be a bit tiresome. I have heard rumour, that if used properly, ( we open our large cooler once, maybe twice a day, first thing in the morning we move the days meals into a smaller cooler ) the Yeti coolers will keep ice/cold food for over a week. The price is steep, but we do get what we pay for. I've considered a fridge/freezer, but the same capacity would cost well over twice as much, and the longest we are ever away from an ice supply would be 5 or 6 days. Has anyone had any experience with these Yeti coolers? thanks in advance for all input :)

Expedition Leader
I have heard rumour, that if used properly, ( we open our large cooler once, maybe twice a day, first thing in the morning we move the days meals into a smaller cooler ) the Yeti coolers will keep ice/cold food for over a week.

Yes; mine do that (the bigger ones at least).

Has anyone had any experience with these Yeti coolers? thanks in advance for all input :)

I have three of them in different sizes. Definitely the best coolers I have ever owned - but I rarely ever use them anymore; since I bought an ARB fridge they just sit in the shop and gather dust. I know you said you already considered a fridge, but if I was you, I was consider again!

I've considered a fridge/freezer, but the same capacity would cost well over twice as much

Don't forget how much volume in a cooler is needed for the ice - you will only need 2/3 or less of the same volume in a fridge.

nrooney21

My yeti holds ice forever as long as I temper it the day before I leave. I just throw the old ice from my home ice maker in overnight. That way when I pack the cooler the next morning, it's already cold.

Sent from my typewriter via carrier pigeon

86tuning

Adventurer
On longer trips I try to keep my cooler in the shade as much as possible. I also buy 10 lbs of dry ice (frozen co2 block or nuggets) and this will keep my stuff frozen for a long time. 10 lb block is about 2" x 12" x 12" and doesn't take up much space. Be careful with putting stuff directly on it though, it's at -80C and will literally freeze and explode your beverage cans.

10 lb block of dry ice from the welding supply shops run about $15-20 and we do this a few times a year. Will take decades of doing this before we catch up to the price of a fridge.

Now if we did multi-week trips where we reapply with fresh foods and beverages, a fridge would be better by the 2nd week. And take up less space than the 70q cooler.

Acetylene

Explorer
I live in east central Florida and everyone here in the fishing industries use Yeti. It will be the last cooler you ever buy.

I was just looking at a YETI cooler at the hardware show here in vegas. it looked like something nasa would design to protect equipment on the moon. VERY sturdy!

Ramjet

Explorer
For the size and price why would you not just buy a fridge. By the time you have it filled with ice, food, and beverages, I bet it would weigh in close to 110#. My fully loaded fridge only weighs in @ 70#. Plus the footprint of the Yeti (33x18x17) is large, taking up quite a bit of storage. Just spend the extra few dollars and get a used fridge. They pop up quite frequently here on the Portal.

postalWagon

Adventurer
I love my Yeti 35. It will hold ice for over a week, mine held for almost 10 days (I added ice on day six, didnt need it).

gsanders

Observer
Yeti 105

My wife and I have a Yeti 105 for out white water raft that I also use for car camping. They are great: sturdy, reliable, hold ice well. But, they are heavy and a fridge might be better for the price if all you are doing is car camping. However, since we have a raft we needed a good cooler and we love it. They definitely hold ice well. I usually get a 10 lb. block and it stays cold for close to a week in the 85* heat of summer. I have not tried dry ice but I'm sure it would last even longer.

Honu

lost on the mainland
When we had our trailer and space and room to carry more :)
We had a cooler and fridge
Cooler for kids drinks etc...

These days just a fridge and a big 5 gallon water cooler we freeze up so we have cold drinking water which is a nice luxury :)

Yeti coolers are awesome though :)
But a fridge is nice but does require second battery really :)

For 3-4 day trips I say either work ? As others do freeze water bottles and drink off the water as it melts and your food stays dryer and you use everything up

java

Expedition Leader
Not to be too far off topic, but Costco had the Pelican coolers which looked pretty sweet. Anyone used one?

Ramjet

Explorer
When we had our trailer and space and room to carry more :)
We had a cooler and fridge
Cooler for kids drinks etc...

These days just a fridge and a big 5 gallon water cooler we freeze up so we have cold drinking water which is a nice luxury :)

Yeti coolers are awesome though :)
But a fridge is nice but does require second battery really :)

For 3-4 day trips I say either work ? As others do freeze water bottles and drink off the water as it melts and your food stays dryer and you use everything up

You use two coolers because you have a small Army to feed, Chad. Ha ha :Wow1:

Honu

lost on the mainland
and it is true sometimes pulling out a wet drink out of a icy bath just seems to taste better than cold from a fridge ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan