Yeti Lawsuit

I've always been a fan of Yeti as a company, but every cooler I've seen is made the Philippines. They make themselves out to be a thoroughbred American company yet they outsource their products? This is marketing magic, and they do it well. They sell a brand image and a product that's well built, I can't argue that. As a consumer you have the power of information and right to stay Informed. If you want to buy a cooler because it's called a yeti and pay three times more that is simply freedom of choice.

RTIC is a cheaper alternative and i applaud them for bringing a cooler to the market as an affordable alternative. This is made overseas as well but you don't get the same marketing glam with them as you would with yeti. Telling me that yeti is any better would be the equivalent of the pot calling the tea kettle black.

At the end of the day these are reasons why I ultimately bought an ORCA cooler. There is no "grey area" or lingering questions as to where the coolers were made. Nashville Tennessee.

It was more than the RTIC sure, but a smart person can have these coolers for 20% off... It's just as good as the yeti, and it's made here. I don't bleed red white and blue, but I don't mind spending a little more to buy an American made product.

Pro Tip: Bed Bath and Beyond always has a 20% off coupon, they are an authorized Orca dealer, these coolers are not excluded. they come in roughly the same sizes, and let's be real, who wouldn't want to associate with not only an American company, but a socially responsible company.

Last edited:

krax

Adventurer
I didn't know that about Yeti. Ultimately, I'm more concerned with quality and ethics than country of origin (Most of the good overland stuff comes from Australia and South Africa anyway.).

Thanks for the Orca tip.

I didn't know that about Yeti. Ultimately, I'm more concerned with quality and ethics than country of origin (Most of the good overland stuff comes from Australia and South Africa anyway.).

Thanks for the Orca tip.

Pick one up and hold it sometime, the quality is top notch. They even have nice cargo net on the back of every cooler. As a huge ARB fan, those Aussies make some damn good gear, my rig wears that badge with pride

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I don't have a problem with foreign made stuff, as long as it isn't for 5 cents an hour. There are actually good companies on lands other than the US, and not every company uses slave labor. My "All American" Dodge Power Wagon was made in Mexico. I know plenty of people that have not one iota of an issue about hiring Mexicans (Or other foreign workers) for work around their house or business, but then made a big stink about "Buying American". Gimme a break. Such a double standard. I am sure there are plenty of people in foreign lands that have "Decent" jobs because of the US's insatiable appetite for "Stuff", me included. Are there horrible companies paying people ****? Of course, I'm sure our current President has used them. But that being said, the tribalism needs to end, it's 2017. Just sayin.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
My Power Wagon was made in Mexico and it is, by far, the best truck I have ever owned.

I bought a pair of Orcas a few years ago because I thought they were better, for my purposes, than the others, including Yeti.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I've always been a fan of Yeti as a company, but every cooler I've seen is made the Philippines. They make themselves out to be a thoroughbred American company yet they outsource their products? This is marketing magic, and they do it well. They sell a brand image and a product that's well built, I can't argue that. As a consumer you have the power of information and right to stay Informed. If you want to buy a cooler because it's called a yeti and pay three times more that is simply freedom of choice.

RTIC is a cheaper alternative and i applaud them for bringing a cooler to the market as an affordable alternative. This is made overseas as well but you don't get the same marketing glam with them as you would with yeti. Telling me that yeti is any better would be the equivalent of the pot calling the tea kettle black.

At the end of the day these are reasons why I ultimately bought an ORCA cooler. There is no "grey area" or lingering questions as to where the coolers were made. Nashville Tennessee.

It was more than the RTIC sure, but a smart person can have these coolers for 20% off... It's just as good as the yeti, and it's made here. I don't bleed red white and blue, but I don't mind spending a little more to buy an American made product.

Pro Tip: Bed Bath and Beyond always has a 20% odd coupon, they are an authorized Orca dealer, these coolers are not excluded. they come in roughly the same sizes, and let's be real, who wouldn't want to associate with not only an American company, but a socially responsible company.

Do you by chance know if they sell a seat pad that attaches to the top of the cooler like on other marine coolers? I may have to look at the 75 quart for our boat in the future if they have a pad to go with it. Currently we have the Igloo Marine 94 qt with pad and works well enough on the boat, but that Orca looks pretty sweet. Or I may just break down and actually start using the 3 built-in fish lockers/coolers that are a bit more involved when it comes to cleaning the boat, a removable cooler setup is much easier to clean.

ckkone

Explorer
If someone can find me a stainless tumbler that is made is America please send me the link... They do not exist... The process to make them is expensive and for that reason they are all made in China, so I will continue to buy which ever is cheapest and that would be the ones from Wal-Mart. Who cares about coolers they are not expo, you need a fridge to be expo.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
If someone can find me a stainless tumbler that is made is America please send me the link... They do not exist... The process to make them is expensive and for that reason they are all made in China, so I will continue to buy which ever is cheapest and that would be the ones from Wal-Mart. Who cares about coolers they are not expo, you need a fridge to be expo.

manmug is going to start.. maybe they already have.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador

Wait, I thought you needed a drone to be expo?

screwball48

Explorer

Are the Pelican tumblers USA made?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teddyearp

Adventurer

+1 ^^^ this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior