Yeti spotted riding a Tiger GT

ihatemybike

Explorer
Kyle (Basement Yeti) arrived at my place around 5 PM yesterday in his 1994 Provan Tiger GT Astro 2WD (named Bones).

Spent a bit over an hour crawling in/over/under the van and pulled ODB code 35 (Idle Air Control) from the computer. Tiger has a lot of sloppy caulking done to it and a few of the plastic RV trim pieces need replaced. The rerouting of the fuel filler is leaking, bet when it's not leaking all that hose adds well over a gallon to the fuel capacity. Next week or so should be fun/interesting. Wish us luck.

suntinez

Explorer
... bet when it's not leaking all that hose adds well over a gallon to the fuel capacity. Next week or so should be fun/interesting. Wish us luck.

Sounds about right on the hose, I had to replace it due to leaks. Mine still fills very slowly at the gas pump because of that long horizontal run.

Good luck!

Where are the pics??

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Oh gosh, secrets out.

Yes, it's true, I am a van dweller again after my old rig got totaled. My buddy Aaron so graciously offered his driveway to Bones and myself while we get the old girl up to spec. I went to pick my rig up in Ocala Florida to find the seller had blatantly lied to me about the missing canvas, among other things. I threatened him down 700 dollars and away I rode in my yet un named rig.

Later while investigating the interior I found many animal carcass' and her name became Miss Boneta Vamper, or Bones for short.

Sure enough, somewhere in Indiana shew blew her idle air intake valve, and kept stalling, the whole time throwing her massive a$%# all over the interstate.

The immediate plan for mechanics are:
New front and rear shocks
New idle air controller valve
Aaron figured out the manually inflated airbags can still accept air, not sure if they can hold air.
An oil change
And sealing up the filler hose
Brakes, perhaps

While I am bumming around my personal plan is:
Gutting the gross aftermarket Florida swamp carpet
Thorough interior and exterior cleaning including a steam cleaning
Laying Down Linoleum
Coach battery is fried, I have two good Optimas in San Diego, going to get a cheap battery to run the heater and lights for now
The propane tank is out of code, it has propane I have been using, the temporary plan is to carry a 20lb Rhino and a 1/2" threaded extension hose to run heat and stove if the pressure is OK, I'll either mount my own cylinder, or buy a replacement 30lb bolt on eventually.
Begin replacing rusted exterior screws, cleaning surface rust, hatches, and vents, recaulking, sealing
Few minor interior mods like a new closet bar, new table top, new hardware, bit of sanding and staining
And since I saved so much online buying parts, I plan to treat myself to some nice speakers up front to get me from IL to CA
New holder for blackwater hose, new blackwater hose

Long term the plan is to replace the soft top which has no canvas with a hard top direct from Provan. Was quoted 4000, going to try and get them down to 3k and install it myself. This will include rebuilding some of the interior.

This will include rebuilding the bathroom the old owners gutted, turning it from a wet bath to a place to poo. I'll also go from their honking aftermarket water pump to a lower GPM (read lower AMP) model.

The 3 way fridge is most likely broken. That's ok because since I have solar I can just get an Engel or something and stick it in there.

I also want to swap the standard hot water heater for an on demand mounted under the rear ladder (the ladder needs replacing too)

The aftermarket bumper mounts are badly rusted and it needs to be cut free and remounted, as well as having the bumper cleaned up, a plate added to securely hold an eventual full sized spare.

Eventually mounting an air cyillinder, an air pump, and replacing manual air shocks with automatic.

Eventually swapping from 15s to 16s and putting some load range D tires on her.

She will eventually get a new paint job too, a year or two from now, because her paint is shot.

I think that's it. There is A LOT of work to be done. Most of it is just elbow grease. In the end it will greatly increase the comfort and value of her!

As you can see, I have already ripped out the crappy aftermarket cabinets, bench supports, and done some cleaning.

More pics to follow when it's daylight!

sambot

Observer
Leaking fuel filler hose

I had a leaking fuel filler hose on my 88 Tiger GT. I tracked down the leak with my natural gas leak detector. It turned out that the issue was the loose single hose clamp right behind the gas cap tube. I had to take off the toilet, and the raised floor around it to get in there (no shower pan on mine). I bet you will find a few more critter bones under that panel. Best to get it taken care of soon.
Enjoy

Basement Yeti

Explorer
My leak is down behind my defunct propane tank. When I picked the van up in Florida I was going to do my first fuel fill up and it started dribbling then gushing gasoline, the not so nice man who sold me the van had replaced the intake manifold gasket, fuel pump, and fuel injector, he must have not sealed the connection properly, even after the repair, it also needs to have it's fuel gauge adjusted.

Aaron seems to think it's just a poor connection to the neck on the gas tank.

Speaking of propane tanks, is it true they have an expiration date?

I'm sitting in bones now eating chinese food. I just got lost trying to find a gas station to get a soda pop at. It's starting to feel more like home, it's nice to have friends to lean on when you're just pretending to know what the hell you're doing, hahaha,

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Bravo, Aaron.

Yetters, you have learned a lot in your short time on Expo. And don't forget to change your sig line.:sombrero:

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Bravo, Aaron.

Yetters, you have learned a lot in your short time on Expo. And don't forget to change your sig line.:sombrero:

Thanks, but apparently I didn't learn not to buy stuff from shady a@#$ guys on Craigslist thousands of miles away, but the Universe works in mysterious ways and this was meant to be, and I'll make the best of it and make Miss Bones just as awesome as Marshmallow.

And, changed, and I finally updated my blog. Tomorrow the wrenchin starts.

suntinez

Explorer
Are you able to pop the top at all?

I would love to see pics of the lift mechanism without the canvas, if you can. Especially where it attaches to the roof in the front and rear. Good luck.

Sounds like your fuel leak is in the same spot mine was - near that strange turn it does just before entering the fuel tank, due to a brittle hose - no work had ever been done on mine. Mark at Provan offered to send me a replacement hose, but I got it fixed before then.

suntinez

Explorer
We could pick the top up, problem is the hardware that holds the top up is gone too.

bummer! So the bi-fold doors are missing? You just pick it up? This is hard for me to wrap my mind around how that would happen. Poor, missing Bones.

You know after I added the gas struts to assist with the lid lift, it occurred to me that if you got longer ones or had bigger bi-fold doors (like the FWCs do) you would have that much more room in the upper bunk. That would be really nice. Might want to consider that if all the canvas has to be replaced too - unless you're definitely going hardtop.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Crashed my van today. Should be repairable. I'll be bringing it to the collision center tomorrow to figure out how long it'll take. Once again, Aaron saved the day, left work early to come to the crash site. I had gotten a call earlier from Provan saying a raw XL hard top would only cost 2,650 or so, so that is on the table, eventually.

ihatemybike

Explorer
The Tiger is getting repaired. Seems the RV conversion holds it's value a lot better than regular Astros. Kyle ripped out the back's carpet waiting for me to get home from work, then I started prepping the front end for the radiator core support replacement while being a bad influence on Kyle.

Kyle: I need to steam clean the carpet in the front.
Me: You know, HMR found the stock carpet under the stuff that Provan put in.

Kyle then removes the door well trip to find the clean stock brown carpet, gets all giddy, then start pulling the rest of the Provan carpet out, removing the seats to make the job easier.

Me: You know HMR put stock Astro seats back in his Tiger.
Kyle: How much would a JY want for those?
(Walk over to Grumpy and over the drivers door)
Me: I'm switching Grumpy to a gray interior, you can have the ones I'm taking out.
Kyle: Do they have armrests?
(Flip down an armrest)
Kyle: Sweet!

(After removing the bumper, lower valance, and AC condenser, standing back looking at the van)
Me: You know, add an extra fender and you'd have everything to swap a 96 or later front end on it.
Kyle: Those bumpers come stock with an air dam that's closer to the ground.
Me: Yeah, and you could chose the composite headlights which would also be a little more aero.
Kyle: Now you have me considering that too.

I might be having a little too much fun with this.

chasespeed

Explorer
Depending on the propane tank, they exactly have an expiration date. a DOT tank is initially certified for 12 years. They can be re-certified by a qualified place. I would drive over to a RV shop, and talk to them, and if they dont have an answer, go to the nearest Propane distributor....... they WILL have the answers, and probably, someone who can inspect the tank. quick search turned up Suburban, Hicks, etc...

Otherwise, look up manchester tank, and order new.

Chase

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Thanks for the tip bro. I replaced the idle air control valve that blew somewhere in Indiana, ripped some more carpet out, broke some stuff, and Aaron fought with a few rusted screws. She goes to get her new core support Monday, meanwhile Aaron and I will hunt for replacement parts. After that we need to swap her fiberglass leafs for some steel ones, get a new battery tray, I am going to swap the rear shocks, and Aaron is going to help with the fronts, I need an oil change, and we need to seal the fuel hose still, and try and revive the coach battery. After I get her running I'm going to put in an order for a hard top from Provan, then skidaddle back to San Diego. I hope to gut and redo the entire interior.

Initial damage.

Scrap from the front end under Grumpy.

No face.

Aaron works on some crazy screws.

A mess.

She runs well, even after a front end collision at 25-35.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998