Yetti’s Pacific North West Exploration & Expeditions Picture heavy

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
It was pretty much freezing rain/fog and or snow all weekend. Saturday was spent on projects from my 5er.

Since I have recently started running again, I did not want to go two weeks’ w/o one. It’s a hard enough habit to get back into.

So a place that is frequent here, The freezing rain onto of about 6ish inches of snow. Made for a shine across everything, as well as a hard crust. Breaking trail on the run sucked. And it was a slow time, 1 mile. But, got back at it. Mishka, decided she was only going to walk where my tracks had been. Can’t really blame her, I probably should have put her booties on. As breaking through it was sharp, and beat up my ankles.

IMG_20240121_101422_466.jpgIMG_20240121_102345_730.jpgIMG_20240121_102925_310.jpgIMG_20240121_102950_901 (1).jpgIMG_20240121_103213_407.jpgIMG_20240121_103221_833.jpg

This rabbit was still warm, we have Bald Eagles, as well as many birds of prey here. It was dropped In front of us. ( at least I think) I head a noise around the bend. But there was not much of an imprint, and no fresh tracks except mine.
IMG_20240121_103503_526.jpg

I did keep a close eye on her feet, and did not see any blood in the snow. She is always happy to lay on the bed in the back after an adventure.
IMG_20240121_104430_088 (1).jpg

Its hard to seem in the background. But the Lock gate to the left was stuck in a partial open position. I had never seen that happen before.
IMG_20240121_104516_423.jpg

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I will work on updating this throughout the week. I spent all of last week at Whatcom Lake, outside Bellingham Washington. This was for continuing Ed hours for my AEMT, as well as a refresher for the remote and clinical endorsements. I did not get many pictures as the week was long, with a mix of classroom and outside scenarios daily. Including some night operations. This is the 3rd time I have done this through Remote Medical Training.

And the weekend before, on an extra loop as my Aunt had a book launch party at a store in Astoria Oregon.

This was her debut novel, in the ‘ Cozy Mystery” genre. Not my normal, read but I enjoyed the audible Audio book on the 5 hr drive there.

Book Signing,

IMG_20240210_084924_175.jpg

IMG_20240210_150946_898.jpg

I also took the time, to check out the Colombia River Maritime Museum as its been on my list for a long time. And easily spent two hours there. I would very much so recomend it

IMG_20240211_094226_101.jpg

Views like those above, did make me miss the Ocean Contracts. Who knows what the future holds.

IMG_20240211_100356_275.jpgIMG_20240211_112656_995.jpgIMG_20240211_112825_565.jpg

I will add more Images from the Museum. However I took over 100, so only some. haha '

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
The class was good, they usually are. Traditionally at least 12 days it was shortened to just 6. The last one I did was Lake Diablo sometime around 2019. (Insert thread link) I am not sure why, and it’s a lot of material to cover. Everything from rope rescue, to Antibiotic use. Now this course is designed to be a refresher not the initial, although even that is 30 days. And it Includes, EMT-B, as well as the clinical and remote endorsements.

As you can possibly imagine, there are some good networking opportunities in these courses. As the world can be quite a bit smaller than it seems. And they tend to draw the top tiers.

The instructors have a lot of latitude. However, all of them include the mix of classroom, with an outside scenario every few hours. And probably average 5/day. As well as a few night operations/scenarios/MCI’s. So you get a lot of repetitions in. This one, was more like a round table discussion on topics chosen by the students to review. It was actually a pretty cool way to do it, as so many in this class have extensive experience and actually taught on their specialty topics informally.

The weird thing>? Time: it really does not seem that long ago I took my 1st remote medicine class, or even my EMT-B ( 2008). Now, in complex scenarios, or questions the entire class looks to me for advice, or sage wisdom…. At 33, how did I become the “Old Guy” haha

Feb 11th, on the way up. Yes those are cooling towers in the fog. They always give me the chills, even though the facility was never finished.

IMG_20240211_132316_624.jpg

I did not take my pictures at/of the course. And with so many people moving away from FB, we did not do a fb group to share pictures, network. So these are it, unless I get some sent my way.
Lake Whatcom, Washington. Location for the week.
IMG_20240213_094612_575.jpgIMG_20240213_094642_240.jpgIMG_20240213_094653_937.jpg

Suture practice, I should probably practice more. However, a surgeon I am not. And only do them every few years. I like the big loops, however I would trim everything in actuality.

IMG_20240214_092138_254.jpg

We no longer practice on Pigs feet… So much of the world is changing in a way where professionals don’t practice anymore. Like so many nursing schools, no longer teaching IV’s in class, and leaving it up to the employer…..Not a good thing.

Non invasive, and with these classes they are big on real world experience, and “practice like you play”. It’s a good thing. In those scenarios, moulage is always used. Which is also good practice. Fake blood, skin, tissue, etc

This means, for as many scenarios as you are the responder, you are also a Patient.

In this case, I had a sucking chest wound, and a chest seal was applied. Thank goodness for hot long shower to get it off. Otherwise it would have lived there.
IMG_20240213_184553_097.jpg
Since these are well known for training real world. I was a PT for a Hypothermia scenario where I also had Tib/Fib fracture. The lake was cold, the water was cold. But I also knew the other students would keep me safe, and the instructors had eyes on those who were actually wet the entire time.

Honestly, there is no better training.

image_6483441.JPG

In the Process of building, and placing me in a Hypo-wrap (A warm person burrito) after wet outer layers were cut off. And splinting the lower leg fracture.

image_123923953.JPG

As always, if you have any questions: Please dont hesitate to ask>

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Man you are a team player. Screw that patch and the cold water!
I remember the first time, I took this course. And one of our instructors, a climbing ranger. She was in the middle of the lecture, on hypothermia as we were hiking. And she walked right into an icy stream and dunked herself. Before saying “Go, real world” , the other instructor was behind us with all the gear needed to keep her warm and safe. We still had to wrap her up, and drag her back 1 mile to the camp in the snow.

But, the level of instruction is tier one. So, this year. I volunteered, so others could have the same experience. I then stood in front of the fireplace in the classroom for the next lecture. One other student went into the lake, the others for the scenario just used q cards, and verbalized symptoms. At least with the cold….

with the chest seal. (I am a bit of a bear, in the fuzz dept) That I was surprised about. The Care provider, was a seasoned operator and executive protection agent. He was so fast in applying I could not even get the Q cards out of my pocket for the “vitals”. It was impressive, for him: trauma/packing wounds was the bread and butter. We all have skills we are better at than some things.

But thanks, I appreciate the shout out. There were a few less seasoned providers in the remote environment, so now they have the same experience as I once did. And if you ever find yourself on the recieving end of one of these providers, youll want the best.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I got a bit distracted. I will see what i can do about getting the kits out, and doing a write up.

I did get the moto out today. Twas a beautiful day, she fired right up and ran like a dream. Just outside the garage.
745493cd0647de8629c6a19a4852b846.jpg

Sent from my Titan using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior