Yotapilot's 2001 Tacoma DC Build

YotaPilot

Adventurer
why did you switch to an ARB vs the Allpro in the front?

Mainly it was fit and looks. The All-Pro was designed for the Gen 2 then adapted for the Gen 1, so it doesn't follow the lines of the truck as well. I also like that the ARB is tested and compatible with the airbag system.

KK6POV

Adventurer
alright, cool thanks! since you're so proud of your drawers and took 800 pictures of them that you haven't posted, let me see 'em! I am about to start building an insert but i wasn't planning on drawers

YotaPilot

Adventurer
alright, cool thanks! since you're so proud of your drawers and took 800 pictures of them that you haven't posted, let me see 'em! I am about to start building an insert but i wasn't planning on drawers

I actually didn't. I'm really bad at documenting the build processes. Is there anything specific you would like to see or know about how I built them?

YotaPilot

Adventurer
I would like to know what you used to build them they look great.

The drawer system is built out of 1/4" plywood and 1x8 and 1x6 pine boards. I used indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowe's to line the drawers and the top. I used angled aluminum to line the front and rear edges. It's a pretty simple build. I chose not to use roller slides for simplicity and mostly laziness and cost. On the front edge are some plastic drawer sliders to help out with friction when pulling in and out. The box is held in with cam-buckles on slide-lock type mounts in the bed.

In the metal bed box is the more "fragile" stuff. In here I keep my aux battery, compressor, and fuse block, along with some tools and spare parts.

I keep my recovery gear in a small duffle that goes in one of the drawers when not camping. When camping, cooking gear and other misc supplies go in the drawers and the recovery gear moves to the bed box.

14167771443_65f825c6ae_b.jpg

13961077970_6a3a93fdcb_b.jpg

13961045559_04273531aa_b.jpg

13961029217_a1650e7825_b.jpg

13961043029_04c9ae5b69_b.jpg

KK6POV

Adventurer
when you were running first gen wheels, did you have 255/85s? and were you running spacers with those wheels?

trump

Adventurist
The All-Pro was designed for the Gen 2 then adapted for the Gen 1, so it doesn't follow the lines of the truck as well.

This statement is completely false. Both the first and second gen bumpers were designed from scratch.

YotaPilot

Adventurer
when you were running first gen wheels, did you have 255/85s? and were you running spacers with those wheels?

I had only the stock tire size on the first gen wheels. I didn't use the spacers until I got the second gen wheels because they have different backspacing.

YotaPilot

Adventurer
This statement is completely false. Both the first and second gen bumpers were designed from scratch.

I apologize if I misspoke. I remember seeing this bumper for the second gen first. They do look identical. And the first gen version does not go all the way to the front on the wheel well like it does on the second gen and my ARB. To me, I was never happy with fit and finish. But that's just me.

dnellans

Adventurer
total out of left field question, but your 2001 is built very similarly to the way i have done up my 2004 ext cab that recently moved from utah down to austin. any chance you would prefer/want an ext cab rather than a db-cab? my wife is demanding 4 doors so i'm casually looking for options these days... =)

YotaPilot

Adventurer
total out of left field question, but your 2001 is built very similarly to the way i have done up my 2004 ext cab that recently moved from utah down to austin. any chance you would prefer/want an ext cab rather than a db-cab? my wife is demanding 4 doors so i'm casually looking for options these days... =)

Sorry for the late response. I have been away from the forum for a while.

It's funny you ask that...I also talk about how I would love the longer bed of the ext cab over the 5 ft bed of the double cab. However, I need to keep the double cab due to a baby coming in about a month.

dnellans

Adventurer
ha - we've pulled the goalie for a 2nd one which is why she has 4 doors on her mind. congrats! i haven't found a good DC option yet, but if things drag on long enough maybe there will be a good 2016 DC tacoma with a new engine =)

rickybobby61

Hey YotaPilot ive been keeping up with your build for awhile now. I want know how you are liking you cooper at3 cuz they don't look aggressive at all. I'm stuck between those and cooper maxx but I'll be mostly highway for now. The to things I would really like to know is how strong of a tire are they off road(side wall strength). And if you have every measured how tall they still on the truck. I've heard on one thread that the maxx st 235 measure 32

YotaPilot

Adventurer
Hey YotaPilot ive been keeping up with your build for awhile now. I want know how you are liking you cooper at3 cuz they don't look aggressive at all. I'm stuck between those and cooper maxx but I'll be mostly highway for now. The to things I would really like to know is how strong of a tire are they off road(side wall strength). And if you have every measured how tall they still on the truck. I've heard on one thread that the maxx st 235 measure 32

I really like the AT3. They have been great and they were the editors choice tire in the latest Overland Journal tire test. There you can find all the specific tire performance characterists. My seat of the pants rating of the tire are great. The only fault the tire has is it has a thinner sidewall than other tires in its class. I experienced this first hand in Big Bend when I got a sidewall puncture. Othe than that, they are awesome tires. The 235/85R16 measures out the just under 32 in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998