You’ll Never Forget to Take Along Your Self Rescue Gear With New Fords Soon!

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Ford Is Designing Exterior Body Parts That Can Double As Traction Boards!

APR. 19, 2023 12:27 PM ETBY GERHARD HORN OFF-ROAD / 7 COMMENTS
How has nobody thought of this yet?

Ford has filed a patent for various dual-function sand ladders or traction boards (the terms are interchangeable) scattered around the exterior of an SUV or truck like the Ford F-150 Raptor. CarBuzzdiscovered the patent filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

In simple terms, Ford has realized that several exterior components can serve a primary and secondary function. It then had a long hard look at its vehicles and saw that components like running boards, hood vents, and door beams could all double as traction boards. The same is true for the grille, bumper, and tailgate inserts.

It doesn't take a genius to figure this one out. If you dig your Raptor in too deep, you simply remove the side steps, place them in front of the tires for a quick recovery, and pop them back on once a heroic self-recovery has been completed.

Some pretty cool conceptualizing, yah? You can get more of the story at:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I see the side step traction boards half way into the sand/mud/snow when you need them most.

I did have an idea about making the bed floor of my LX45 project out of 4 traction boards at one point.
Having to unload everything in the bed every time I needed them sounded like a big headache

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior