Your 2 cents please...

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Nice mods...trailer is coming out just dandy.

Always nice to see "real" welds....still learning...good luck

jrfII

Observer
Thanks, made a little more progress today

The RVQII was the wifes idea four years ago and we have used it hard. The teflon is holding up great on the griddle. It cleans well and is easy to stow. Now it will bounce between the trailer and the motorhome.

We are in SW PA not far from the Yough River and we are getting green early this year. Hoping to move the fleet out west in a year or two.

Thanks for the comments on the trailer. We are getting anxious to finish it and are hoping to take it on a shake down run later this month.

The LP tank strap is home made.

Today was a short work day so the progress was limited. Aluminum angles were secured to the floor to keep the water tank over the axle. Closed cell foam was laid on the floor to minimze abrasion to the contents while moving. I am toying with the idea of a couple of tie down points in the box to secure cargo.

The other picture shows the underneath of the lid and the new gasket that keeps the box weather proof. I wonder if this thing would float?

IMG950979.jpg

IMG952744.jpg

The last picture is a poser pic of the new Hannibal Awning lashed to the basket on the XJ. Couldn't help myself after setting it up on the trailer lid this morning. I had to see it on the Cherokee.

IMG951597.jpg

That is the next project, modifying the roof basket to accept the awning. At the same time I will add tabs to the rear of the basket for a couple of lights. Those will provide light for night setup of the trailer.

Ok, thats it for today. Happy Easter!

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
What size tank did you go with?
I just got my 30 gallon and now to build a frame to hold it in the trailer.

jrfII

Observer
Water tank...

Mark,

I originally was going with the 30 gallon, but one of my goals is to try and keep the total weight at less than 1200 lbs packed and ready. Consequently I went with a 21 gallon tank with pump that I found on Ebay. Total cost for both with shipping was $111.94. This decision was also made to keep as much cargo area open as possible.

The tank mounting is two aluminum "L" channels riveted across the width of the trailer. There is also one at the end of the tank. Two stainless straps will go across the top of the tank to hold it down.

Are you adding a water heater? If so, what are you using?

On another note, to mount the Hannibal Awning I am having a piece of aluminum cut today. Hope to make the basket brackets tomorrow or Wednesday and have this mounted to the Cherokee by the weekend.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I am making a removable cradle for my water system Tank, Pump, Hoses, connectors that sits between the wheel tubs on the trailer.
Centered over the axle. The model of water heater I bought is below. Still in the box so I need to try it out.

Attachments

• 072611hwod.jpg
    072611hwod.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 217

Shamus30

I know that area pretty well, used to camp sometimes near Ohiopyle growing up. Always loved the Yough, but spent more time on the Allegheny growing up as we had a cabin just a few miles outside Warren.

Where are you looking to land when you head out west?

Like where you are going with the trailer build. One question, what axle and suspension setup are you running on it now and any plans for changing it in the future?

jrfII

Observer
Its a moving target....

Mark,

Mine is still in the box as well.

Shamus,

The move out west is a bit of a moving target at this time. I am from Yuma and would like to get back to AZ. Wifey is drawn to the Pacific NW, so we probably will split the difference in a year or so. I am starting a new job shortly that will allow us to relocate anywhere in the US we would like to live.

The suspension is a modified 3500lb axle and WAY TOO stiff for serious off-roading. Once we see how well we like the trailer we will need to completely redo the suspension as well as the hitch. Around PA, WV, NY & KY we will be camping at state parks as there are few places to do serious overlanding.

So those are future projects pending the experience. I know the Warren area pretty well, have done a lot of Steelhead fishing in the Erie Tribs. Presque Isle is on of the most beautiful places on the planet.

Where are you out west?

Shamus30

I am in Carson City, NV about 20 minutes from Lake Tahoe and 30 minutes from Reno. Now is a great time to be moving out west especially Northern Nevada because you can buy a house for less than half of what they sold for 5 years ago. Also the fact that there is no state income tax is a huge draw for me to stay here. Add to that the tens of thousands of miles of off-road access that is literally minutes from your driveway and it is a pretty nice place to live. I can be at a high mountain lake within 30 minutes from home or be in among the sagebrush of an old mining town in less than an hour. I might be a little biased though ;)

Which of the tributaries did you fish for steelhead? I grew up within walking distance of 4 mile and was there almost daily after school during season for many years and spent a lot of time out at 12 Mile creek too. Also used to fish for walleye out on the lake quite a bit. Seriously miss fishing for and eating Walleye and Perch. Trout are about all I fish for out here and don't do that nearly often enough anymore.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
We are close, I live in Oakmont, Pa. North of Pittsburgh.
I have a cottage in Venango, Pa. south of Erie.
Crawford and Erie County is beautiful! Presquisle is awesome year round.
A two plus hour drive and I am on the beach!

jrfII

Observer
Rub it in

Shamus,

How long have you been out there with all the great off road opportunities? Stop gloating, you know how limited the opportunities are on the eastern side of the states, lucky dog.:drool:

12 mile is my favorite as you can often find some solitude, I have fished four mile and Elk. Small world.

Mark,

We are close I currently work in Greensburg and live outside of Somerset. Its about three hours to the Erie shore for us. Erie can be like the sea shore I've seen five foot breakers on the Isle. Who knows maybe will end up at one of PA's state parks comparing builds some weekend.

The water inlet/outlet door showed up today in the mail. It is like they use on campers and smaller motorhomes. Should get installed this weekend. One more piece of the puzzle!

Shamus30

Been here going on 17 years. There are a few benefits to having 85% of the land around here owned by the government (as long as we keep them from closing it to motor vehicles). You'll have to check out some of the trip reports on overlandhub.com to see some of the places within a few hours of here.

I do miss the fishing and hunting in PA though. The big game out here is too much work for not enough reward. Tiny mule deer fed on sage are not the same as a nice fat grass and corn fed white tail. Getting homesick and hungry just typing it.

jrfII

Observer
PA deer

Shamus,

Your are right about the deer hunting here, we do have great resources to grow them nice. But in the last ten years many things have changed and the heards are not producing the number of bucks that I grew up with. The overall sentiment with hunters is that PA is not what it used to be, but what is?

The trailer has been set aside for this week as I have become obsessed with getting the awning mount completed for the XJ. Should have that wrapped up tonight and I will have three days to work on the trailer.

Stay tuned.

jrfII

Observer
Not much done for the time spent

I don't know if is because the last three evenings were spent on the awning install on the XJ or what, but I spent the better part of eight hours today with not much to show for the effort.

I did improve the LP tank strap and installed a third brace for the water tank.

The visible differences include two lid latches that took forever to get adjusted. They work though and don't look too bad.

IMG952939.jpg

Man, I gotta get the rest of the frame painted. It really looks like crap in that photo. :Wow1:

Next up was the Rhino Rack that showed up last night.

IMG952370.jpg

The install was pretty straight forward and went well. The components of this rack fit very well and it appears to be pretty stout.

IMG954850.jpg

I guess I forgot about getting all the steel cut for the fender braces. I may weld them tomorrow, or maybe do the plumnibg, or install the water pump, or the wiring, maybe the RTT now that I have the rack, or some tequilla under the new awning with a nice cigar.....hmmmm
:bigbossHL:

jrfII

Observer
Cold this morning

Didn't get moving with the trailer too early this morning as it was bone chilling first thing today. Around 8:30 things started to warm up and I got moving.

A big part of the morning was spent laying out the fenders and measuring the trailer. The fenders are going to look good once they are painted and installed. I am leaving about 5" of clearence above the tires. There is little travel in the suspension at this point.

Here are a couple of shots from today. The left side with the primary fender mount bolted on.

IMG950380.jpg

The right side with the fender brace and the new water access door. This is a standard camper item, it has a filler opening that a garden hose will fit in, not screw to. There is a half inch vent for filling the tank and finally a hose hook-up for the pressurized water.

Once the hole was laid out and cut in the trailer body the pocket was wrapped around the perimeter with butyl tape, pushed through the hole and attached with SS machine screws and nuts.

IMG951845.jpg

Cleaned up everything, packed up what is needed to weld the fender brackets and maybe paint the fenders in the morning. Don't know if i'll get them painted, but the brackets will be completed tomorrow.

IMG953307.jpg

Cheers! :archaeolo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior