Your "Must Haves" in an expedition trailer

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
I don't plan on doing poughkeepsie with it. We camp near the bottom of it though. I'm not concerned with Lockhart as its not all that difficult. I use it as a reference for the terrain I'm expecting the trailer to be capable of.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk

Box Rocket

Personally I think the "must haves" list is pretty small, but everyone has different needs. For me the reason I built the trailer in the first place was I needed space for gear since my wife and 4 kids are typically with me. We just ran out of room inside the truck. But the trailer also allow room for other items that are important for camping and are on the short "must have" list. Things like water and fuel. The only other must haves in my opinion are a comfortable place to sleep which can be a good ground tent and sleeping pad, but for us is a RTT. One other thing that I feel is a necessity is a solid way to stabilize the rear of the trailer if you are sleeping in a RTT on the trailer. A Multi-axis coupler is a must have I think. Lastly is a trailer that is capable of going anywhere I can take the truck. I won't necessarily take it *everywhere* I can take the truck but I wanted it capable of doing just that. I built the trailer specifically to be able to take it through the Rubicon. I feel 100% confident that it can do that, although I haven't been on the 'Con since the trailer was completed.

I just use lots of bins to keep gear dry and protected. It's simple and works.
I don't have a fancy kitchen or galley. I have a 20 year old Coleman white gas stove. Works great and is easy to pack.
I carry two 5 gal water cans, one 5 gal fuel can
Full size spare for the trailer, all trailer tires are the right size for the truck too if I need to cannibalize tires from the trailer in a pinch.
Portable CO2 for filling tires and running air tools.

I have a fridge and while I feel it is a luxury, not a requirement, I don't know what I'd do without it. I love my fridge, but it is carried in the truck. If you don't have room in the truck then have a spot on the trailer.

I don't feel like electrical power is a requirement. It's a luxury.

In the end, I believe the goal should be to carry the gear you need to places that the average person isn't able to get to. Afterall, exploration is about seeing new places.

XTorrey

Observer
Excellent points, Adam. I don't think electricity is a necessity, but having at least a pressurized hand pump shower probably will be so I have a way to clean off a messy baby. I see you're from Utah-any issues with trying to keep dust out of the totes, or could you recommend a go to brand? We're currently using plain Rubbermaid totes that we picked up from Walmart, but I have to clean them out a few times a season just to keep the desert dust at bay.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
For me requirement 1 was a comfy bed, that was protected from the wind and off the ground. Next was a place for the other camping stuff. I splurged recently on a fridge, but it's awesome, and takes up half the space of the Coleman coolers I used before. I have a water pump, but I use water cans to supply it.i wanted a water system my 8year old could use easily, and the water cubes didn't fit my design.
I decided against an integrated shower. Why create a puddle next to the trailer? Something like the hot jug or a vehicle mounted system is what I will end up doing.
Tom

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society

Edit, forgot comfy bed.
Number one is the comfy bed.
A good stove, good cookware, fridge, food storage, easy and fast to set up.
That's all I really want/have...

I used to have a Conqueror Compact --- it was great, roomy, had everything (and more).
But after cancer treatment it was too much of a hassle to set up and tear down:

100_2286.jpg

So I went simpler. Teardrop. Park it and you're camping.

Roadtrip20121177_crop.jpg

050_zps882ce908.jpg

Box Rocket

Excellent points, Adam. I don't think electricity is a necessity, but having at least a pressurized hand pump shower probably will be so I have a way to clean off a messy baby. I see you're from Utah-any issues with trying to keep dust out of the totes, or could you recommend a go to brand? We're currently using plain Rubbermaid totes that we picked up from Walmart, but I have to clean them out a few times a season just to keep the desert dust at bay.

I'm also using totes I got from Walmart. To keep the dust out (mostly) I got some foam weatherstripping with adhesive backing and cut some this strips to line the rim of the container. It definitely helps seal the container better, but I still get a little dust in harsh conditions, but not much.

This is the best photo I have of the containers I'm using.

Septu

Explorer
Number one is the comfy bed.
A good stove, good cookware, fridge, food storage, easy and fast to set up.
That's all I really want/have...

I used to have a Conqueror Compact --- it was great, roomy, had everything (and more).
But after cancer treatment it was too much of a hassle to set up and tear down:

I took that for granted with an RTT. I'm also switching tents to one that has a much faster setup/take down time, and what changes I eventually end up making to the trailer (new tent, awning, stove, counter, sink/water, etc) will all be orientated in this direction - fast setup/take down. I rarely camp somewhere for more than a night... occasionally two. Frequently I've found myself setting up/breaking camp in the rain : (.

XTorrey

Observer
I'm also using totes I got from Walmart. To keep the dust out (mostly) I got some foam weatherstripping with adhesive backing and cut some this strips to line the rim of the container. It definitely helps seal the container better, but I still get a little dust in harsh conditions, but not much.

Anything that saves me from having to buy new totes sounds like a great idea-thanks for the tip!

Jeep du Boy

Here are my must haves for my future trailer:
1. Storage container and cooler for Bacardi 8 Anos and High West Double Rye
2. And
Well, I'm good right there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle