Your thoughts on a TW200

\\'anderer

Adventurer
I am getting ready to pick up a used Yamaha TW200, It's primary purpose is to be hauled on the back of my motorhome. I plan to park my MH and camp for longer periods, and explore the surrounding areas.

Bringing the jeep costs too much in gas to tow and paying for a second vehicle costs at many campgrounds. I also plan to occasionally drive it to work and putt around. The wife will also be riding it. My primary concern is weight, and pushing it up on the hitch rack.

I also considered a Suzuki dr200se. What small, light dual sport bike would you buy for the same purpose, and why?

TW200
View attachment 19857

lowenbrau

Explorer
I want one too. I've been thinking they would be a really good reconnaissance rig to run out trails and also to scope out hunting grounds. They are very quiet and remarkable capable. Guys around here chain em up in the snotty terrain. I might even commute on it since I'm only a few miles from the office.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
The TW is, and has always been, a great small bike. I'd take one in a heartbeat!

For your purpose, it'd be hard to beat. A used KLR 250 Super Sherpa would be another choice....but they're kinda hard to find.

-H-

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I went with a low miles XR250L. Not a common machine ('91-'96), but has a more developed suspension with the option of easy upgrades if I find I'm maxing out the stock bits. Other XR suspension parts of the same era fit. The engine isn't hugely powerfull, but it is enough to haul my 200 lbs carcass around and scare me more often than I'd like. I just can't keep up with the YZ400 & 450f's, but that was never a goal.
It is street legal (the "L" suffix) and can be ridden on the freeways though 65 MPH is pretty rung-out with it's current gearing.
A disadavantage of it over your choice would be the saddle height. My 5' tall GF has no hope of being able to put her feet on the ground.

jkam

nomadic man
I have a Super Sherpa on the back of my class C Lazy Daze. I had a custom rack built using three 2" receivers. I can push it up on the rack easily with my little ramp.
I like it because it has a 6 speed and will cruise all day at 65 mph or lug along on the trails, it's geared just right.
Also it has more normal tires so they are not only cheaper but better in all conditions except deep sand.

As mentioned, they are getting harder to find but well worth the effort.

Oh, and it has a rear disc brake, unlike the DR200 or the KLR250. The new Honda CRF230L is nice and the new Yamaha XT250 is nice but no 6 speed.

2211804047_7f799323d2.jpg

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I had a TW200 once upon a time and can say without any doubt, it was one of the funnest, hardest to kill bikes i have ever owned.

It was kinda my spare bike and whenever we went riding i loaned it out to whoever was without (one of us was ALWAYS fixing something on one of our bikes), that thing got smashed and crashed more times probably then any bike in history! :D

It never once even remotely struggled to start after ya picked it up and kept on ticking until the day i gave it away (long story).

It was great fun to ride and if ya find a good deal on one, jump on it!

I think it has the lowest seat height of any dual sport ever made, and that makes it fun for anyone!

Last edited:

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Can't go wrong with the TW200. I was gonna get one for a G/F because it is not intimidating to ride and virtually bullet proof. As for loading it on the hitch rack, I wouldn't worry. I can load my 640 Adventure on the back of my truck easily sans assistance.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I am seriously lusting after one. They're actually fairly common in the used market because they've been around so long. Been in production since at least 89 and the only change they made was in 2001 they dropped the kick starter and put a front disk brake on.

BTW, the best looking one is the (I think) 2005 model that was in black and gray with blacked out rims!

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
Martinjmpr said:
BTW, the best looking one is the (I think) 2005 model that was in black and gray with blacked out rims!

Funny you should mention that. I've got my eyes on a 2005 with less than 100 miles in showroom condition. The guy wants $2K, fair or overpriced? I'm looking at riding it to work on slow days, round trip 14 miles (no highways).

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Andrew Walcker said:
Funny you should mention that. I've got my eyes on a 2005 with less than 100 miles in showroom condition. The guy wants $2K, fair or overpriced?

Not a bad price for a basically new TW200.

Andrew Walcker said:
I'm looking at riding it to work on slow days, round trip 14 miles (no highways).

You're not kidding about slow there Andrew. :shakin:

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
MuddyMudskipper said:
Not a bad price for a basically new TW200.

You're not kidding about slow there Andrew. :shakin:

Thanks Richard, I knew I could count on you for Moto advice and my daily dose of good natured ribbing:) You did lead me into my next question of is this enough bike for 200lbs and 6 foot tall. I mean I don't want to look like I'm off to the circus if you know what I mean...

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Andrew Walcker said:
Thanks Richard, I knew I could count on you for Moto advice and my daily dose of good natured ribbing:) You did lead me into my next question of is this enough bike for 200lbs and 6 foot tall. I mean I don't want to look like I'm off to the circus if you know what I mean...

As you have witnessed, I am by no means a svelte dude so I really did notice the lack of motivation when I test rode the TW, but it was enough. Does that mean I don't like the bike? No way, I love the TW! Compared to the other bikes I've riden (Fila 999R, 748S Mono, Monster 696, K1200R, Street Triple, Bonneville, SV650-S, DRZ400SM, 990 Super Duke, 690SM & 640 Adventure) it was what I expected, unintimidating. Probably the easiest bike to ride and great for your intended use as an urban runabout. I have seen a few brave souls rocking the TW on the 405 but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a death wish. I like them, I'd own one (and I'm a good 3.6 stone heavier than you), and I say go for it 'cause its a lot cooler than a Vino.

Bear_bike.gif

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Andrew Walcker said:
Funny you should mention that. I've got my eyes on a 2005 with less than 100 miles in showroom condition. The guy wants $2K, fair or overpriced? I'm looking at riding it to work on slow days, round trip 14 miles (no highways).

With gas prices so high little commuter bikes are getting more and more popular (the TW can typically return about 80mpg.) For $2k in that condition I'd grab it. Remember they go for almost $4k brand new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12