Zam15’s Tacoma Build

Zam15

Explorer
DSC01229.JPG

Pretty sure I found what the rest of my skid plate is going to look like! Time to really protect the radiator! Should tie into everything else nicely.

http://azrockcrawler.com/_images/project4runner/projectrunner8/4runner8.html

Zam15

Explorer
Bumper is back from powder coating. Think V2 came out great. LED pods are mounted up. Should be able to complete the Skid plate and finish up the front end soon. Just have to do the locker and re-gear.

Last edited:

Zam15

Explorer
Love the bumper and some super interesting cars from the other side of the pond!
Thanks! There is a lot of cool stuff that we can't get back here in the states.

Just finished my turn signal relocation, they are now where they should have been to begin with!

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
Due this is a sweet build! Looking forward to the finish. When I have time I'll have to read back through all of it to see the details but I'm impressed with what is being done to the front end and your LT setup.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Thanks! There is a lot of cool stuff that we can't get back here in the states.

Just finished my turn signal relocation, they are now where they should have been to begin with!

Nice! What LED's did you use? Did you have to modify the stock hole?

Zam15

Explorer
So my current PA speaker has had a rough life, not even sure if it still works or if will even fit where I had it installed on the previous bumper with the new LED Pods taking up more space on the bumper now.

May not be able to fit another cone style PA speaker.

Obviously I've been on an upgrade cycle over the years.

Now I'm looking at this guy. Any thoughts?

Where I've had them mounted previously:

Zam15

Explorer
Nice! What LED's did you use? Did you have to modify the stock hole?
Some generic ones off Amazon, they were too long with the socket so I soldered directly to the contacts. Only had to dremel off a little bit to wedge the bulbs in, kept it close then used an application of plastic weld to seal and hold them in place. They are not going anywhere, and will hopefully last the life of the LED so I'll never have to replace a bulb again.

PA system? That's a whole new level for road rage
I'm a relaxed driver for the most part, ha! Will likely end up just screwing around camp with it.

I actually will tie it back into the CB, HAM and cell to hear any radio traffic/stations (Fire, EMS, Police, Air) etc while away from the vehicle, also useful for some types of music.

Can also be used to announce to large groups, would just need a second radio. I could transmit announcements from anyone on the radio in the group. Really the the uses are endless.

And its there in case of an absolute emergency.

Zam15

Explorer
So not bull************* when it comes to the skid plate. I think it turned out amazing, its pretty much a hybrid between full prerunner design and the more traditional heavy duty skid plates.

After talking about all the options and first hand experience with other designs we decided to go with a lightly more gradual approach angle, while it does not have as much initial clearance it will better protect/defect against anything that I would encounter. Especially during high desert or expedition style travel, while still being beefy enough and having enough clearance for any rocky trail.

They did any awesome job and I gave them the ok to finish it up! I feel it does an amazing job tying everything together. There is nothing on the market that could better fit the truck.

One of my biggest fears when far away from civilization has always been damaging the radiator, it hangs low and up front on these trucks making an easy target. Stock skid did an ok job but this is going to be light-years ahead.

Next week will hopefully the front end going back together and rear coil buckets going in.

Zam15

Explorer
Skid is mostly finished, welded up, painted, and flush bolts used. Perfect match for the ARB

First cut in the bed made, this is as painful to see as when I drilled the hole for my old ARB snorkel. But its all for a good cause.
Should hopefully see some progress soon...

Zam15

Explorer
Alright, so I went ahead and ordered an aux fuel tank for the truck, a Ford F-150 under-bed tank with a capacity of around 18 gallons. Essentially doubling my capacity/range.

It'll likely be a while before I get it installed and hooked up put its a perfect match for these trucks. Several other builds have gone with this setup and turned out amazing. Some just using this single tank and ditching the stock tanks.

I'll use both, I like the redundancy it will add, say should the fuel pump in the main tank go out it would just require a small amount of work to switch over to the aux tank and be up and running where otherwise you would be stranded.

Clean install :Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12