Zelix Homemade Trailer Build

Zelix

Adventurer
Looking good man!

I got my chainsaw mount finished on my trailer the other day, now I am trying to figure out how I want to do my incorporated kitchen slideout.... it never ends with these things!

~ Stump

Thanks. I can't wait to see your trailer so I 'borrow' some more ideas. One thing in particular is the RTT ladder. I have a temporary ladder going now. I will upgrade that after I get more ideas.

I have been thinking of kitchen stuff this year. I home to get more ideas from everyone's gear next weekend. I'll nail down a design then. I love those 'tool box' sides that have the fold down doors you use for a cook surface. I've been leaning that way lately. I have to admit that kitchen you have is cool because you can set it up anywhere.

Your progress makes me jealous. Good work!

Thanks. I have had so much fun making this trailer. I only wish my fab skills were better. On the other hand it's kind good to have a wonky trailer. It's less likely to be stolen..hahaha I always try to look on the positive side.

It's really in rough shape right now. I plan to prep it and paint it up this summer. There will be some serious grinding involved. I might drop in a metal floor then as well.

Nice trailer

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I guess my trailer shows that ANYONE with a little determination and basic skills can make something that's usable.

I have to finish up the propane tie down today. I would love to make a couple of tent pole pockets to see how they work on the trip.

I just went to wally world and got another water jug and a few other supplies. I also broke down and bought a rack of wood. I usually get free wood but it's usually rough cut. I got the split up nicely wood to pack my firebox to the gills and see how she does. :)

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I have to admit that kitchen you have is cool because you can set it up anywhere.

It is nice in that repsect, but I dont like the fact that I have to unload half the trailer just to get it out. Its also getting very heavy with all the stuff inside. The legs arent adjustable, so you have to use rocks or other things to try and level it out (ever tried to cook and omelet on an unlevel surface? It doesnt work!), that and I need a project.

The good thing about an integrated kitchen, is once I level the trailer, the kitchen will always be level. And its just a matter of pulling out the drawer, and putting down one or two adjustable legs for support. No real weight to lift, and no need to unload the entire trailer if its just a quick stop. (say for only one night, or if we want a hot lunch on the way to whatever we are doing.

~ Stump

Zelix

Adventurer
It is nice in that repsect, but I dont like the fact that I have to unload half the trailer just to get it out. Its also getting very heavy with all the stuff inside. The legs arent adjustable, so you have to use rocks or other things to try and level it out (ever tried to cook and omelet on an unlevel surface? It doesnt work!), that and I need a project.

The good thing about an integrated kitchen, is once I level the trailer, the kitchen will always be level. And its just a matter of pulling out the drawer, and putting down one or two adjustable legs for support. No real weight to lift, and no need to unload the entire trailer if its just a quick stop. (say for only one night, or if we want a hot lunch on the way to whatever we are doing.

~ Stump

That is a good point about the kitchen you have now. It will be cool to see what you come up with.

Here's where I'm at so far. I got the propane holder fixed.

propaneholder1.jpg

propaneholder2.jpg

I go the firewood loaded. It holds a fair amount. Hopefully it wil be enough.

firewoodloading.jpg

chasingdreams

Adventurer
:ylsmoke:
Firewood,..... one of my favorite times of any trip is late nights around the fire! Lots of great times with friends have been had around the camp fire.:camping:

Great idea for any trailer!!!

womacje

Adventurer
Where's this event? My brother in law lives in ATL and would loveto join you guys, if the event is open. Zelix, looking great.

Just remeber when it's time to paint, flat finishes hide all sorts of evils! ;) my trailer will have a flat finish for sure!

Zelix

Adventurer
:ylsmoke:
Firewood,..... one of my favorite times of any trip is late nights around the fire! Lots of great times with friends have been had around the camp fire.:camping:

Great idea for any trailer!!!

Where's this event? My brother in law lives in ATL and would loveto join you guys, if the event is open. Zelix, looking great.

Sending PM.

Just remeber when it's time to paint, flat finishes hide all sorts of evils! ;) my trailer will have a flat finish for sure!

Yeah I have flat black on most of it now. I have to paint the entire thing again this summer.

Zelix

Adventurer
Zelix Homemade Trailer Build Phase III

Ok so I've camped out with the trailer a couple of times. I've added on and upgraded a bit. It's given me an idea of what I need to incorporate and upgrade. I will begin to kick into the next phase of the trailer as It goes into spring.

Here's a list of things that I will do this spring/summer:

• tent pole pockets for the spring steel poles
  • make a permanent ladder for the RTT
  • cut out and upgrade the RTT attachment to the trailer
  • update and finish the propane cylinder tie down
  • battery/electrical system to charge up/play Nintendo DS and laptops.
  • install some shocks
  • Install leveling jacks for the rear
  • upgrade the deck
  • disassemble, prep, and paint the entire trailer.

Here is a list of cool sounding things that I am researching at the moment and would like to add.

• side cabinets for the kitchen and storage
  • onboard fresh water tank & electric pump
  • RTT supports to ground
  • changing-screen/warm room for under the RTT
  • cool BBQ-Yakitori tailgater grill addon

I have absolutely no idea how to get the electrical-battery installation going. I am digging thru the internet at this moment trying to learn what I need to know to pull this off.

I have an idea of what I'm going to do for the tent pole pockets so I'll jump on it first.

I'm also thinking of moving the axle forward on the trailer. It seems to be tongue heavy with that firewood box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78