ZJ suspension setups

intothewild

Adventurer
I have a completely bone stock 97 ZJ, 4.0l. I have been contemplating suspension setup ideas and would like some input from people with ZJ experience.

As for what I intend to do with the Jeep: I want to do roughly 3.5" lift, but want the best articulation a small lift like that can offer. I plan to run 31x10.50s. So obviously nothing extreme, but I have a newborn that will be here any time now and the jeep will be serving as baaby hauling duties for a while as well. So I want to mantain as much comfort and reliability as possible while still being fairly capable for mild overland style offroading.

The Jeep will see mostly desert type terrain, but will see the mountains as well.

So which parts/combos would you recommend? Is a transfer case drop recommended for alift in the 3.5 to 4" range? I want to avoid deathwobble and any other drivetrain related issues as well. Thanks.

bob91yj

Resident **************
What is it that your rig won't do as it sits right now? Honestly, with what you're describing, I'd catch it up on all of it's maintenance/hoses/leaks, a new set of quality shocks, and some armor, your favorite flavor of A/T tires when your current ones are worn out. Spend your $$$ on the amenities that mom and baby are going to need when camping.

K2ZJ

Explorer
Get different rims with 4" bs, trim the fenders and you can run 31s stock. Some adjustable shocks maybe? For 4" lift you don't need a tcase drop. RE springs are great, but the arms are not the best. But for what you want to do, a budget boost might be best. I don't know anyone who asks for dw either.

intothewild

Adventurer
What is it that your rig won't do as it sits right now? Honestly, with what you're describing, I'd catch it up on all of it's maintenance/hoses/leaks, a new set of quality shocks, and some armor, your favorite flavor of A/T tires when your current ones are worn out. Spend your $$$ on the amenities that mom and baby are going to need when camping.

I have already taken care of all the preventative maintenance items, all fluids, hoses, belts etc. No leaks from anywhere at the moment. It does fairly well for being 100%a stock, but there has been several times and thdre will be plenty of moments in the future where the extra ground clearance will come in handy.

intothewild

Adventurer
Get different rims with 4" bs, trim the fenders and you can run 31s stock. Some adjustable shocks maybe? For 4" lift you don't need a tcase drop. RE springs are great, but the arms are not the best. But for what you want to do, a budget boost might be best. I don't know anyone who asks for dw either.

I have thought about a BB but need to do a little more reading. The jeep is very clean, so I don't want to start cutting fenders etc just to make the tires fit.

BlaZeJeep

I did a F>R spring swap lift on my '94 ZJ and am very happy with the ride and performance of the lift. If you are not familiar with the F>R lift you basically buy new 3 or 3.5" lift springs for the front and move the front springs to the rear. Now you must use V8 springs or springs from an "UpCountry" version of a ZJ (check your local junkyard). I have a V8 so this was the cheapest lift for me. I bought new Rusty's 3" springs, shocks for the 3" lift, drop bracket for the rear trackbar, front sway bar drop brackets, and a new stabilizer. It has done very well. I am currently running my stock front trackbar with no problems, unless the bolt loosens up, which it has a couple times over the last 2 years the lift has been on the Jeep. Next on my list is an "double shear" adjustable trackbar. My total cost for the lift was just about $400 with shocks, more than BB, but I really like this lift with the shock/springs I have. BTW I am running Black Diamond AT shocks, which are great IMO.

Doctor W

Adventurer
X2 on the F>R Lift....or get an ARB Old Man Emu Lift kit (complete! - springs, shocks etc) for a very good 2" lift.

Why do you "want/need" a 3 1/2" lift......lifting the front more than 2" makes for complications and expense!

31x10.50 will need some inner well adjustments etc (due to width) on standard rims, either get different rims with better back spacing or fit 30x9.5 x 15" or 245/75x16" (depending on which rims you have) on your standard rims to save money.

This advice is for overlanding - if you want to go climbing huge rocks, traversing deep swamp holes etc then you'll have to build a ZJ that's not going to be a good DD/ long distance traveller/overlander etc.

Amauri

Explorer
I agree with the above post. OME lift and different wheels or spacers if you want to run 31's. You can't go wrong with the F>R lift either but you wont need 3.5". You'll probably have to trim your front bumper though witch is not a big deal.

K2ZJ

Explorer
I know it is tough to cut it up, but honestly, you get a lower cg and keep stock suspension and ride, and you don't need to cut a lot. You may just need to hammer down the pinch welds and roll the fender. Can you borrow some 31s? Try to throw them on see how they fit. I have not run the f>r but I have read a lot about it and seems like a good idea as well, I just don't have personal experience with it.

Booner

Observer
X2 on the F>R Lift....or get an ARB Old Man Emu Lift kit (complete! - springs, shocks etc) for a very good 2" lift.

Why do you "want/need" a 3 1/2" lift......lifting the front more than 2" makes for complications and expense!

31x10.50 will need some inner well adjustments etc (due to width) on standard rims, either get different rims with better back spacing or fit 30x9.5 x 15" or 245/75x16" (depending on which rims you have) on your standard rims to save money.

This advice is for overlanding - if you want to go climbing huge rocks, traversing deep swamp holes etc then you'll have to build a ZJ that's not going to be a good DD/ long distance traveller/overlander etc.

I ran a 3 inch BDS suspension on my 98 4.0 ZJ for 140K miles with no complications or extra expense. My tires were 31-10.50 BFG A/Ts and later Hankook MTs in the same size. I had TrueTracs front and rear with factory ZJ skids. The Grand was a reliable, capable rig for 11 years of hard use. Couldn't pass up a killer deal on a 05 Hemi WK, so the old (rusty) ZJ was retired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger