ZR2 Owners Thread

Storz

Explorer
Former ZR2 owner here, I had an '00 pickup new in the lighter blue color with a 5spd manual. Absolutely loved that truck and wish I had never gotten rid of it! Incredibly capable and underrated for sure.

Richie

Adventurer
So to current and former ZR2 owners, what's been your experience in terms of reliability with the truck? I've heard/read mixed thoughts on the Z's reliability.

I only have 54,xxx miles so mine has been good to me. There are a few interior rattles that I could do without. I'm also replacing my ball joints this week.

Storz

Explorer
So to current and former ZR2 owners, what's been your experience in terms of reliability with the truck? I've heard/read mixed thoughts on the Z's reliability.

I only have 54,xxx miles so mine has been good to me. There are a few interior rattles that I could do without. I'm also replacing my ball joints this week.

The 4.3 is pretty bullet proof. I had zero issues with mine while I owned it :wings:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I have been thinking of downsizing my daily driver to a ZR2 myself. Like Storz said, the 4.3L is bullet proof, the 4L60E automatic is pretty stout in a truck of this size. About the only real problematic component on these trucks (or any 4x4 for that matter) is the electric shift 4x4, which the tcase can easily be swapped to a 1995 or earlier manual shift tcase. The central multiport fuel injection concoction has been known to cause some problems too but that can easily upgraded to MPFI with a $350 kit available from most auto part suppliers. Get those two issues dealth with and these little trucks are rock solid.

One more common issue with the S10 extended cabs is the 3rd door - door handle snaps off. The aftermarket has a fix for that too with an aluminum door handle pull.

Old problematic poppet nozzle valve central multiport EFI. (6 individual poppet valve assemblies)
217-265.jpg

To this that converts it to where the injectors go into the intake where they should have been the first time.
217-3252.jpg

One thing I am not a fond of on S10's is the torsion bar IFS as they do not seem to have the articulation that say a Tacoma of the same vintage with coil sprung IFS has. On the other hand, the really nice thing about the ZR2’s is they are much cheaper to purchase than the same vintage of Tacoma not to mention the S10 ZR2 is much more powerful too.

Richie

Adventurer
I have been thinking of downsizing my daily driver to a ZR2 myself. Like Storz said, the 4.3L is bullet proof, the 4L60E automatic is pretty stout in a truck of this size. About the only real problematic component on these trucks (or any 4x4 for that matter) is the electric shift 4x4, which the tcase can easily be swapped to a 1995 or earlier manual shift tcase. The central multiport fuel injection concoction has been known to cause some problems too but that can easily upgraded to MPFI with a $350 kit available from most auto part suppliers. Get those two issues dealth with and these little trucks are rock solid.

One more common issue with the S10 extended cabs is the 3rd door - door handle snaps off. The aftermarket has a fix for that too with an aluminum door handle pull.

Old problematic poppet nozzle valve central multiport EFI. (6 individual poppet valve assemblies)
217-265.jpg

To this that converts it to where the injectors go into the intake where they should have been the first time.
217-3252.jpg

One thing I am not a fond of on S10's is the torsion bar IFS as they do not seem to have the articulation that say a Tacoma of the same vintage with coil sprung IFS has. On the other hand, the really nice thing about the ZR2’s is they are much cheaper to purchase than the same vintage of Tacoma not to mention the S10 ZR2 is much more powerful too.

Good info! I forgot all about my 3rd door handle snapping off a few years ago. I installed the aluminum handle.

Bikemobile

Adventurer
I got my 31-10.50-15 spare mounted today in the stock location.

I also got my leaky, rusted, crappy exhaust modified today.

IMG_0550.jpg

Bikemobile

Adventurer
That is a unique setup. Does it add power like a catback would?

Its just a single in dual out flowmaster 40 with the duals run parralel to each other a dumped after the axle. I will run a single magnaflow someday when the flowmaster rots out completely.

Richie

Adventurer
And the seat recliner handles... I know there is/was an aftermarket fix for that too.

Haven't had a problem with those. But there is what I think is a spring that is loose somewhere in my passenger seat that goes crazy over the slightest bump. It's annoying.

DanR7985

Observer
My first truck was a 1999 GMZ. Last pic I took of her. I had a fair amount of problems with mine. Fuel gauge stopped working (common problem). Seat recliners on both sides broke (common problem). The fix was drilling and tapping the broken metal piece and reinstalling it. The biggest problem was the first 4.3 blew up on me, and the second one almost did. I also did the aluminum 3rd door handle.

Real mods are 2" PA body lift and 33x12.50x15 Maxxis Bighorns, dual exhaust, K&N air filter, Bosch platinum plugs and wires, an Animal front bumper, LInex bed liner, and Duplicolor on the fender flares.

Even with all the problems I loved that truck to pieces. It would do anything I asked of it, and drove that thing like the world was ending. If I didn't have problems with it I would still have it now.

I was preparing for an SAS and a 350 Vortec. Now I'm using the D44/D60 for my M1009 build.

BTW first post here, just found this site last night and love it!

Attachments

• 20753_645527391075_30401822_36902180_7225811_n.jpg
    20753_645527391075_30401822_36902180_7225811_n.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 20

Richie

Adventurer
My first truck was a 1999 GMZ. Last pic I took of her. I had a fair amount of problems with mine. Fuel gauge stopped working (common problem). Seat recliners on both sides broke (common problem). The fix was drilling and tapping the broken metal piece and reinstalling it. The biggest problem was the first 4.3 blew up on me, and the second one almost did. I also did the aluminum 3rd door handle.

Real mods are 2" PA body lift and 33x12.50x15 Maxxis Bighorns, dual exhaust, K&N air filter, Bosch platinum plugs and wires, an Animal front bumper, LInex bed liner, and Duplicolor on the fender flares.

Even with all the problems I loved that truck to pieces. It would do anything I asked of it, and drove that thing like the world was ending. If I didn't have problems with it I would still have it now.

I was preparing for an SAS and a 350 Vortec. Now I'm using the D44/D60 for my M1009 build.

BTW first post here, just found this site last night and love it!
My fuel gauge stopped working for a weekend about a year ago. Thankfully just that weekend and I haven't had a problem since.

Richie

Adventurer
Well I had my ZR2 for sale the last month or so, but decided to keep it for the time being. It does only have 56,xxx miles.

That being said I would love to start some kind of project. I'm thinking a camper shell, lift it a few inches and bigger tires. Nothing too crazy.

Richie

Adventurer
I am no longer a Z owner. After 6 years, I sold it 2 weeks ago and just mailed the title to the buyer today. It was a love/hate relationship with that truck and it will be missed. My wife and I just had a baby and I need to get something a little more family friendly. Cheers to the ZR2!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears