FWC maximum roof load and gas struts

ramblinChet

I am interested in hearing first hand experiences related to what the maximum weight you have successfully and safely carried on your FWC roof. Also, what were the load ratings on the gas struts used and have you experienced any damage to the roof or strut mounts?

The reason I am asking is because there is much first-hand experience on this forum and I am considering installing accessories on the roof of my Grandby. Currently, it has factory ST363P-31 gas struts on the rear which I would assume are 31# struts. I have read on this forum that the maximum FWC recommends are 40# struts although I believe I recall some owners installing 80 or 100# struts.

taylosha

I got 60lb struts on mine, had them there since Jan 2022. Got some heavy solar panels up there. No problems with any damage to the roof. Don’t like the heavy solid panels on my roof, but got a decent price on them. Would go with a flexible panel if these ever break, then I’d probably go back down to a 30lb strut.

ramblinChet

What panels do you have and how many? I am interested in the overall weight.

Also, with 60# struts and your heavy panels, does the roof raise and lower similar to how it originally functioned?

Thanks in advance!

taylosha

I’ve got three 190W panels, each is about 25lbs, so total 75lbs. There is definitely a noticeable difference in the initial pushing up of the roof, like I have to break through a sticking point before the struts start to help. Once you get past that point the opening is like normal. I also use the camper primarily in the winter, so I imagine cold temps don’t help the struts out at all. Lowering is about the same as before, no noticeable difference there.

Superduty

Adventurer
@ramblinChet what did you end up doing?

@taylosha After another year, any ill effects from the 60lb struts?

I put a 46lb solar panel on my Grandby. I am also going to put a starlink and 4 maxtrax. I currently have the 30lb factory struts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle