2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Thanks so much for taking the time to document your experience with all this stuff. Your posts and videos have saved me so much time/money/frustration on my own RAM 5500 (gen4) build. Thank you!

I am really interested to see how the front sway bar works out. I am tempted just to disconnect completely and see how it goes for daily driving. My camper build is relatively light, so I know I am way oversprung/overdamped. I am still on the leaf springs in the rear and found a local place that will remove some to soften up the back. I just want to get a bit further in the camper build so I can ballpark the camper weight. My guess is that even when everything is done,, I will still be well under 50% max payload.

Youre welcome

I drove around for a bit with it completely disconnected for testing and it was 90% amazing and handled phenomenal.

But, when i got into some tight twisties in Death Valley, it was pretty dang sketchy.

My .02

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Hahahahaha

Nah, i choose not to feed the rule heavy marketing machine

I continue to check in here periodically because i've met some lifelong friends here, and to scour for parts, but thats about it
I get that. I'm guessing many felt the same way you do and that's why it's so slow here.

Best luck with the 200. They're an awesome machine!

ramblinChet

I drove around for a bit with it completely disconnected for testing and it was 90% amazing and handled phenomenal.

But, when i got into some tight twisties in Death Valley, it was pretty dang sketchy.

One of these days you will set your pride aside and own an AEV Prospector that was designed and tested by actual engineers using SAE guidelines and testing protocol. Until then, happy trails ;)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Well…

Work/Career change has be fun and nutso, which isn’t a bad thing, mentally

But the lack of free time, and lack of free time for the foreseeable future has got me to make a tough call.

Going to need to sell this, as it just sits and sits in my driveway and we occasionally get to take it out for quick local overnights. Doesn’t make any sense to keep it.

Will eventually make a real for sale post, but figure I’d give those following along with the build first shot, especially since yall know what went into it and I won’t get barraged with 100000 stupid questions. 😂

As yall know, not a single expense was spared

$225K
Located in San Diego
2020 Ram 5500 XLT
17,876 miles (yes really)

Almost every single aspect of this was documented here or on the YouTube, link below.

Any serious interest, shoot me a PM or an email with a phone # to chat directly, I’ll try to get to it as soon as I can but it might take a bit, working 80 hour weeks, and pretty spent

Thanks

ramblinChet

Dude, you are missing out on the best times in your life. Next time consider the route I took: Call AEV and FWC to place orders, quit work a year later, pick up my completed overland vehicle, and hit the trails forever.

I just completed a week long 300-mile adventure along the Ouachita Traverse and can't imagine being traded as a slave ever again.

OT 010.jpg

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Dude, you are missing out on the best times in your life. Next time consider the route I took: Call AEV and FWC to place orders, quit work a year later, pick up my completed overland vehicle, and hit the trails forever.

I just completed a week long 300-mile adventure along the Ouachita Traverse and can't imagine being traded as a slave ever again.

View attachment 833154

😂😂😂

I find your delusional fanboyism quite entertaining sir…

My brand new $30k 2018 FWC Hawk and the barrage of problems with it since day one and FWC HORRENDOUS build quality (or lack thereof) and non existent after sale support are actually what led to this build.

But you seem to like yours, so rock on and enjoy your travels. 👍🏼

Last edited:

klahanie

daydream believer

We're all so happy for you !!

What's sad tho is what appears to be your take away on this whole thread. There are some things a chequebook just can't buy.

Certainly not respect.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
😂😂😂

I find your delusional fanboyism quite entertaining sir…

My brand new $30k 2018 FWC Hawk and the barrage of problems with it since day one and FWC HORRENDOUS build quality (or lack thereof) and non existent after sale support are actually what led to this build.

But you seem to like yours, so rock on and enjoy your travels. 👍🏼

But AEV was also mentioned, so that should make up for the FWC suck. 😘

Jesting aside, very sorry to see you put your bighornsheepmobile up for sale, after all your obsessing over it. One of the best beasts here.

Alloy

Well, in between downpours, i was able to get a bunch of stuff done.

The Kelderman Dual Steering Stabilizer Kit is a very easy straight forward install, and is hell for stout.

Sadly, I have so many other things going on (video almost done) that itll be a bit before i test drive it.

View attachment 760974
Buddy just had the DRW to 41" G275 Goodyear tires done on his truck. I was really surprised it didn't include a steering stabilizer.

WanderingBison

But AEV was also mentioned, so that should make up for the FWC suck. 😘

Jesting aside, very sorry to see you put your bighornsheepmobile up for sale, after all your obsessing over it. One of the best beasts here.

Well said - the kind comments about the beast and build!

@RAM5500 CAMPERTHING - Hope life settles again and you get to go back out there ... plus, its a great excuse for the next build ;)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Well said - the kind comments about the beast and build!

@RAM5500 CAMPERTHING - Hope life settles again and you get to go back out there ... plus, its a great excuse for the next build ;)

Thanks Man

Not gonna lie… after it was “done” (it’s never really done) I was kinda bored

I enjoy the build equally to the usage.

Maybe even more. 🤷🏻‍♂️

halo777

Good luck with the sale of your incredible rig! I have my own RAM 5500 build going on (nowhere close to as nice as yours) and can attest to the huge amount of time and $$$MONEY$$$ that goes into any build like this. I almost had a heart attack when I started adding up all the money I spent on parts and labor and my 2017 still looks like a beat up old truck LOL. Your asking price is very fair considering the build.

P.S. disconnecting the front sway bar on mine as we previously discussed has been an amazing change so far on my truck. However, it has increased a tire rub issue that I have so I have to sort that out. In any case, thanks for your guidance on the sway bar change as it has completely transformed the ride quality of my rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger

Members online