FYI- BAJA NORTE VIOLENCE.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Appears to me you have toy self defense against high powered weapons, a losing battle.
Might be safer in baja.
Humorous not funny, sheriff dept refusing to uphold laws..priceless.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I found simple smoke bombs, and a $300 rechargeable flamethrower, fairly small and easy to handle that shot out 35 feet of intense flame.

I checked Harbor Freight, Granger and Amazon, no flame thrower available. Just where do you get one for $300? And if it is a DIY thing, please provide instructions.

As far as a handgun, I'll use my 9mm, 15 shot, so 3 bad guys shouldn't be much work.

I don't speak "Mexican" Spanish, all I can say is hello, bye and pass the salt, so I have no business down there, besides, I'd rather go to Hawaii! If I need to play in a sand box there are plenty north of the border. No desire to go there.

Deleted Member 183

flamethrower - I never tried it

Disclaimer: After being banned once, then threatened to be "perma-banned" 2 more times after that... I have learned to not just go out and express my true feeling here on ExPo anymore!

That said, I got the feeling from your first postings here on this site that you were "pretty much" a person that in the surf community earns the distinction of a 4 letter title that starts with a K, and ends with a K as well!

Boy, you sure have proven that my instincts were "spot on"!

hankgs

Adventurer
Surfistas-Ensenada.jpg

SPANISH / CRIME

Ensenada industrialists express concern about insecurity after attack on surfers​

jesalgarca
by jesalgarcaMay 6, 2024

By Alejandro García/THE BAJA POST
The industrialists of Ensenada, members of the National Chamber of the Processing Industry (Canacintra), expressed their concern about the high-impact crimes, robbery of businesses, vehicles and homes registered in the first quarter of the year, since they alter the tranquility of the population and reduce the confidence of investors to launch projects.
Ragnar Gutiérrez Abarca, president of the organization, indicated that in the case of high-impact crimes such as intentional homicides, 35 occurred in the first quarter, in addition to another 6 that occurred between April and so far in May, among which the 4 bodies found in the vicinity of the Santo Tomás delegation.
Among these, he said, are the bodies of the three tourists who had been reported missing and who had allegedly been shot to death by criminals in that area.
He considered that after what happened with the surfers, coupled with the confrontation between national criminal gangs, some areas of the economy such as tourism and other business areas could be affected.
Through a press release, I stated that it was thanks to the publication of that unfortunate event that they were found with some speed, but it is not the same case as the around 7 thousand missing people reported by the different search groups that operate in the entity. that also need to be found.
«We are also concerned about shoplifting, which totaled 111 cases, 51 during March alone; to home habitation, 161; automobile, 360; and robberies with violence on public roads, 222, all in the first quarter of 2024, plus those that have been accumulating," said the leader of Canacintra in Ensenada.
Gutiérrez Abarca expressed that the concurrence of the three federal, state and municipal government powers is urgent, so that there is an effective fight against crimes and reduce the rates of impunity that prevail in almost the entire country and of which Baja California does not. It is exempt.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Similar to the US, the governments all across this country are aware of the bad actors, and there are many, but choose to ignore until revenue or tourism is affected. Then, the narrative becomes ' we've seen a rise ' or, 'we've noticed more frequent gang activity.. same old story.. maybe people have too many rights.

bmw635

Observer
Not to Hijack this thread or steer the conversation elsewhere but can anyone point me to reputable websites or blogs (or even within this forum) that can provide real world, on the ground info, about safety in the Baja? More specifically, purchasing a retirement home and not necessarily overlanding. We are looking at San Jose and La Paz.
Bajatalk.com , bajanomad.com

rruff

Explorer
Meet people with a open hand and a smile.
Best weapon there is...

I don't know about the rest of you... but when somebody with a gun wants my stuff... they can have it. I'll let you defend the honor of your material possessions, or your pride, or maybe just your imagination. :unsure:

I decided a long time ago that my trusty .357 wasn't going to do me much good, unless... I carried it all the time and pulled it out at the first sign of a potential threat and pointed it at that threat. In other words I'd need to escalate every encounter to a potentially lethal gunfight. Otherwise I'm going to be late to the party, and that's a really stupid time to pull out a gun.

Ya, I know you are all super intuitive (ie paranoid) and can smell the baddies from a mile off, and would never draw on an "innocent" person... but I know from personal experience that ain't so.

rruff

Explorer
I often thought how could I defend myself in a situation. I found simple smoke bombs, and a $300 rechargeable flamethrower, fairly small and easy to handle that shot out 35 feet of intense flame. Now, I may be foolish, but one single handgun will do little to protect me.
I used to ride bikes with a guy who made mortars in his basement, and fired them at an IRS headquarters somewhere north of LA. I think he did it on two separate occasions but they didn't catch him in the act. However, they did eventually apprehend him at his basement lair...

With the cartel folks, maybe you could ask them for a job? On second thought, they probably only hire illegals and the pay and benefits suck.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Well, that flamethrower is claimed to shoot 25 feet, not 35', and that's probably at full charge lasting a few seconds. Looks like you might make one using the ignitor off a butane torch and a fire extinguisher, but I'd add some Dawn dish soap to my fuel mix just to give it some "stickey".

I refuse to go into a discussion about gun play with some bad guy(s) if I am unarmed or armed for two reasons; 1. I'd sound like Rambo and 007 put together and 2. I'd end up arguing with idiots.

If anyone needs me in December, I'll be in Hawaii, armed only with a beer bottle.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger