Crew cab long bed (8ft) for overlanding??? Is this viable or realistic?

SimplyAnAdventure

Well here I go reviving an old thread as we are getting ready to order an F350 with 8’ bed as a foundation for a Grandby 4WD camper to tour in for no less than 3 years and probably 5 or more, full time. . Crew cab is basically a foot longer in wheel base and total length than the super cab. Haven’t done the math but I’m thinking 36” tires with 3.73 rears will help with all the angles without killing my mpgs. The ford forum guys don’t understand what we are doing. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Hey, so the regular FordForums might not be the place for this but the FordTremor forum has a designated truck camper thread for big truck discussions about overlanding.

While it’s mostly Tremors it’s become more of a Superduty forum than just tremors.

One of the members on there has an 8ft bed F350 getting ready for a Rossmonster camper right now. His order had 4.30 gears, with the new 10 speeds there are 3 overdrives 8,9,10 so you really don’t lose anything. He’s on this forum too but this forum just seems less active.

Anyway 8ft bed is doable lots of “expedition” vehicles out there even a little bigger.

FWIW I’m Running an F350 Tremor (6.75’) on 37’s with a Supertramp and consider it about ideal. If i was going to live FT in it I think a Bowen bed would give me more space than I could ever use. I have done a month straight in mine this past April without issue.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad