'01 4Runner Coolant Drain

zonker

Adventurer
Just picked up an absolutely pristine 2001 4Runner w/43,000 miles. Stored inside its whole life.. definitely clean. Went about changing all the fluids to ensure a starting point in its life with us. Was stymied when looking for the 3.4L block coolant drain. The factory manual says the right side of the engine.. but with no supporting illustrations. I spent an hour looking from upside down to right side up.. with no success. Obviously the radiator drain is a snap.. but the block drain leaves me at a loss! This is the last thing I have to do and would prefer to have it done with my hands.

Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

obscurotron

Adventurer
I have the same motor in an '04 Tacoma and have never, ever, ever found the mythical block drain. I get all I can out through the radiator, and replace. So far, no problems.

Just picked up an absolutely pristine 2001 4Runner w/43,000 miles. Stored inside its whole life.. definitely clean. Went about changing all the fluids to ensure a starting point in its life with us. Was stymied when looking for the 3.4L block coolant drain. The factory manual says the right side of the engine.. but with no supporting illustrations. I spent an hour looking from upside down to right side up.. with no success. Obviously the radiator drain is a snap.. but the block drain leaves me at a loss! This is the last thing I have to do and would prefer to have it done with my hands.

Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Does the lower radiator hose possibly let most of the coolant drain from the block as well as the radiator?

Congratulations on your NEW 4Runner, great find.

jiggler

NVM thought you were talking about the radiator, i would just drain it from there

Last edited:

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Never have found my block drain either (3.4). I just flush it on occassion to clear out any old nasty...

zonker

Adventurer
Hey thanks for the responses. Glad to know that I am not mechanically challenged or blind! This weekend all the 'ol coolant will come out of the radiator drain and the new stuff in the top. After closing the drain of course!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk