05+ Tacoma Roof Basket Build

what are you going to mount it on the truck with? yakima?

I'm going to build my own crossbars out of rectangular tube. I'll use the front and rear sets of holes in the roof and the one in the middle for running wires through. No drilling!

<hijack>What kind of dog? Man he's a handsome boy!</hijack>

Did you purposely size it so it would fit in the bed as well as the roof? Sure would be handy at times... Very nice!

Thanks! He's a 13 week old Siberian Husky. A handful no doubt but every bit worth it.

And no, it just so happens that it fits perfectly in the bed. I could make some crossbars for the bed and have an alternative mount for it there. The lines wouldn't go very well but it would work.

I've got a little update guys:

The basket is done. I started with 2 coats of Rustoleum auto primer and then threw on 3 coats of Rustoleum black hammered paint. It turned out pretty well I think. There's 4 driving lights on the front and 2 driving lights on the rear. What do you guys think?

DSC01539.jpg

DSC01544.jpg

DSC01547.jpg

DSC01548.jpg

DSC01549.jpg

frobuster

Observer
I know that this sounds a lill lame; but really, I have no idea what is up there on my roof. Would you please post/photo as much of the attachment as you can. Is there hidden hardware underneath those rubber runners on the roof? I just like the idea you said "no drilling" and I'd love to fab or purchase a rack. I'm just reluctant because I do not want to drill, or use thule/yakima hardware. (those systems are rated for less than one hundred pounds) !!!

PS ok I forget the exact figure that the reps told me, but I do remember that it was a rediculously low number.

bat

Explorer
You can get on the Yakima site and it might have a picture of your roof framing for installing there plusnuts roof system. I just made a rack for my jeep and the Duplicolor or Rustoleum bedliner spray can works great for a rack or anything for a strong finish.

I know that this sounds a lill lame; but really, I have no idea what is up there on my roof. Would you please post/photo as much of the attachment as you can. Is there hidden hardware underneath those rubber runners on the roof? I just like the idea you said "no drilling" and I'd love to fab or purchase a rack. I'm just reluctant because I do not want to drill, or use thule/yakima hardware. (those systems are rated for less than one hundred pounds) !!!

PS ok I forget the exact figure that the reps told me, but I do remember that it was a rediculously low number.

Here's a link to the factory roof rack installation. It shows you where all the holes are in the roof.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tacoma/121449-factory-roof-rack/

frobuster

Observer
Hah. Crazy man....I am so on it. That was a great post/link thank you. Any crazy cool ideas for routing coax ??? I know, I'll probably end up having to go through the third brake light, but, i dont know if I don't ask???

I'm not using the standalone hole in the middle of the track for my rails so I'm going to run the wires through that hole and seal it with some RTV silicone. I'm not sure on how I want to accomplish the ground yet though. My whole plan is for the basket to be a "quick disconnect" type of fitting. Thus, all the wires will have plugs. I've got some nice waterproof connectors that I'm going to use. Hopefully it will turn out clean!

soonenough

Explorer
My whole plan is for the basket to be a "quick disconnect" type of fitting. Thus, all the wires will have plugs. I've got some nice waterproof connectors that I'm going to use. Hopefully it will turn out clean!
Any info on the type of connectors you're using? I've seen a bunch of different styles but most are not waterproof. The only ones I've actually used are the Weatherpack type.

Any info on the type of connectors you're using? I've seen a bunch of different styles but most are not waterproof. The only ones I've actually used are the Weatherpack type.

Check these guys out: http://www.suresealconnections.com/
They have great customer service. They sent me a sample of the connectors so that I could see and get feel for the quality. They are solid connectors too. I got a sample of the Power Sure-Seal.

Jedd

Observer
Those sure seal connectors. They look to be identical to the connectors used on older off road equipment (volvo still uses them to date). If they are, then these connectors over time, are aboslute garbage, John Deere for example hasn't used these since the late 80's. I've never seen them wear well on any type of equipment, the connectors easily let in water, and the pin sockets over time wear very loose causing all kinds of issues

Take my opinion for what you will, but this is what i've seen from dealing with these or a very smiliar (visually identical) connector on a regular basis.

Other connectors:
--Weatherpack - actually work quite well, but to make them last you've got to use ample amounts of di-electric grease (these are what I've done all my trucks Aux electrical in)
Draw Backs: the rubber realllllyyyy dosen't take oil well, as in, dont let oil near them, and they are quite bulky when you get into 4 or more pin connectors.
--Deutz- As far as offroad equipment they are by far the best, most durable, and long lasting, also compact. unfortunatly they're quite expensive. So unless you've got a good "source" or can get ahold of a newer Cat harness, dont bother wth these.

Last edited:

barlowrs

Explorer
This is GREAT! Inspiring me to start my rack build...quick question though, on the frist picture, when you have it mocked up, it looks like the crossbars are cut square and not notched with a radius to fit agains the mating tubes. Did you notch them or did you just cut them square?

Thanks

Last edited:
This is GREAT! Inspiring me to start my rack build...quick question though, on the frist picture, when you have it mocked up, it looks like the crossbars are cut square and not notched with a radius to fit agains the mating tubes. Did you notch them or did you just cut them square?

Thanks

I did notch them. I just used my tube notcher with a 1 1/4" hole saw and took it REAL slow. It worked out alright. The notches weren't the cleanest but they fit the O.D of the conduit pretty well.

Get this thing mounted yet? Im in need of ideas for my upcoming rack build!

Not yet. The basket is coming back from powdercoat tomorrow but I still only have half of my crossbars done. Finals are coming up so maybe I can take some study breaks to work on it!

Those sure seal connectors. They look to be identical to the connectors used on older off road equipment (volvo still uses them to date). If they are, then these connectors over time, are aboslute garbage, John Deere for example hasn't used these since the late 80's. I've never seen them wear well on any type of equipment, the connectors easily let in water, and the pin sockets over time wear very loose causing all kinds of issues

Take my opinion for what you will, but this is what i've seen from dealing with these or a very smiliar (visually identical) connector on a regular basis.

Other connectors:
--Weatherpack - actually work quite well, but to make them last you've got to use ample amounts of di-electric grease (these are what I've done all my trucks Aux electrical in)
Draw Backs: the rubber realllllyyyy dosen't take oil well, as in, dont let oil near them, and they are quite bulky when you get into 4 or more pin connectors.
--Deutz- As far as offroad equipment they are by far the best, most durable, and long lasting, also compact. unfortunatly they're quite expensive. So unless you've got a good "source" or can get ahold of a newer Cat harness, dont bother wth these.

Hmm, well that's interesting news! From what I can tell, the quality of the Sure Seals looks pretty impressive. I do appreciate your input though as I have not had much experience with connectors. My only problem with the Weatherpack connectors is that I had trouble finding one that was capable of carrying the current that I'll need to carry (>20 A and I'm using 12 AWG wire.). Hopefully the Sure Seals will hold up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl