06' f150 Overland project...

webos1

Well its a start anyway. This truck is my daily driver, serves to pull the boat, plus other domestic duties involved with home ownership. As it spends a lot of time at State park campsites and I am getting past my desire to pitch a tent, the first upgrades where a cap and a roof-top tent. Found a good deal on a cap from Craigslist, it is for a 2010 Ford so it is about one inch to long at the back but used self sticking pipe insulation to create a tight seal for the back opening. Got Thule rack system installed to mount the rtt. I worked with Paul May at Equipt Expedition Outfitters and really cannot give enough praise for the whole experience. Outstanding service, everything was straight forward, honest, and delivery was fast once purchase was completed. I will not hesitate to use them for future needs. Paul was very helpful in answering questions regarding mounting to the rack as well as how to attach the back wall.
I went with the Eezi Awn Globe Traveller tent and am quite impressed with my initial response while setting it up. It is a lot of tent; I was hoping to leave all the walls on when putting it away but it proved to be much to heavy for that. After removing the front wall I was able to swing the rest up into the closed position. The only real negative I have so far is the lack of a comprohensive users manual for the tent,what comes with it is a one page fold out paper.

So my future plans are to get a fridge to install in the cap, dual battery system for lights and such, recovery equipment, and possibly a tent heater of some sort. As stated earlier the truck spends most of its time in developed areas but I do plan on taking it on some of the easier (non technical) trails in the Colorado area for camping away from the crowd. I would be interested in hearing suggestions on where to go in this regard and for ideas on future mods. I will attemp to post a few pics.

Happy trails,
Darwin

000_0043.jpg000_0038.jpg000_0039.jpg000_0040.jpg000_0042.jpg

Attachments

• 000_0041.jpg
    000_0041.jpg
    561.4 KB · Views: 20

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Having an 06 f150 myself, I could think of a lot of suggestions... ;)

I would stay away from leveling kits, and just get a decent suspension lift if you think of heading that direction.

If you just want to step up tire size, 285s are usually a good fit on a stock truck and shouldn't effect power too much. I didn't like the power loss with 35s and ended up regearing the axles. I also installed front and rear lockers while it was all apart.

If you want a little more power, a tuner/Programmer makes a big difference with the 5.4l. Check out powerhungryperformance.com and look at the "gryphon", basically and edge evo tuner that you can later purchase custom tunes for.

Last edited:

webos1

Thanks for the suggestions brianjwilson, it might be a while before I get around to the to performance mods, i think the "gryphon" might warrant some research though. More power is always good, especially since I now have extra weight added to the equation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77